Skip to main content
Answered

New Sonos App

Does anyone know when this terrible new app will be fixed or updated?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Very sad to have to consider scrapping all this expensive hardware.  I’ve been very happy streaming Apple Music via airplay to my Sonos systems both at work and at home for many years.  Never had to leave one ecosystem, never had to fumble with apps, just fling whatever was playing in my workshop to my car on the way home, and then over to my system when I got home.  Now I can only get music out of one speaker via airplay.  No amount of updates, reboots, or reinstalls will help…...UNLESS I use the new Sonos app….. which streams to all speakers…..but DOESN’T WORK.  Every single action either takes an eternity or doesn't function at all.  Simple music selection takes an insane number of actions and is missing tons of data and options.  Volume control is like some kind of puzzle game (I used to just spin the crown on my apple watch!).  Even if I do manage to get it all working, no settings or preferences seem to be retained the minute you leave one window for another.  I understand that Sonos doesn’t have any obligation to support 3rd party streaming and hardware, but that has always been central to their marketing, and let's be honest, its how many of us use their products.  Most of us use Sonos to play libraries we have been curating for decades on other systems.  This feels like an underhanded attempt to force us to use their inferior app.  I’m a confused old man.  I’m not willing to let my music become another computer interface learning-curve nightmare. I’d sooner go back to copper wires and cabinet speakers.

I now live in a house with NO MUSIC.  I won’t put up with this for long.  Sonos products are about to be really cheap on eBay.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Does anyone know when this terrible new app will be fixed or updated?

ttmatt…. We’re all waiting. The bulleted list shows local libraries will be updated and/or restored in Mid-June. When the first update to the update appeared, they reported that local libraries would be resolved then.  Not so.  I have my music libraries on USB drives in two locations and… the iOS iPhone app doesn’t see them at all and I can’t reinstall S2 on my iPhone. I’m dead in the water.  If you don’t stream, you’re out of luck.  I don’t stream nor am I interested in streaming.  I spent a lot of time installing my library of music onto my “NAS” (network attached storage) units and I expect them to play.  Until my system was fried from the iPhone update, I didn’t know that I owned an “NAS” drive.  Now, when it’s too late… I found out.

Today I researched how to plug into my line-in jack on my 5s to see if I could put my music library onto my iPhone and then get music to play that way.  Unfortunately, since I have them set as Surrounds, I can’t utilize the line-in function.  My TV sound still works through my Sonos gear only because my ethernet cable is plugged into my Playbar and the optical out on my TV goes directly into that.  Oh, and those 5s…. I upgraded to those about one year ago.  I have $1100.00 TV surround speakers.  I’m so happy.

One more thing… the web app doesn’t work either.

Userlevel 4
Badge

Can I just ask one genuine question here.  I do get that a lot of people are having issues with the app, and those that are not having issues still have some lost functionality until they get added back in.  I get that.  I’m not questioning any of that.

But some people say that the new app is unintuitive or not user friendly.  I’m curious why people think that.  It’s different, sure - but it took me all of 2 minutes to find my way around.  I mean it’s literally all on one screen — all of your favourites and services and swipe up for all of your rooms.  I’m not talking about setting up systems or other peripheral activities here, but in day to day use what is difficult or unintuitive about the new interface ?  I am genuinely interested in properly reasoned explanations here.  

The issues are real. I couldn't care less about the design. It is different, not better, not.worse just different.  What is different is the new app does not function. From not loading every time "system unavailable ", to volume controls that are completely off, I can only play podcasts from my PC (not phone or ipad), can't access my music library,  inconsistent access to radio stations, etc, etc. They have added back in sleep timers, now if I could only play a podcast from my phone. 

This new app has rolled back functionality and is unstable. That is why we are complaining 

There is some sort of schedule, according to this FAQ article.

My understanding is that the FAQ article will be updated as needed. But I also don’t think that data is exhaustive. 

You can see what has already been added in the release notes here.

This app is horrible!!!  I finally was able to get my equipment to show up on the app but it does not allow to control volume on more than one of my speakers.  When coupled with other rooms unable to uncouple …..the most frustrating thing EVER!!!

As so many have pointed out, like above I implore the staff at Sonos to really take a look at these comments.  I believe they have missed the point that the app and controllability that comes with Sonos when using the app is really what makes them special.  In a world full of high-end home stereo and portable speakers Sonos is not the best of either, especially for the price.  Long-time customers have already been bitten because the older speakers can’t be used with S2 and new speakers can no longer be used in the S1 app.  This has caused a lot of irritation and extra costs for loyal customers.  Now that only S2 works with pretty much everything you sell you really need to make the S2 app at least what the S1 could do then add on.  The last couple years has been more than a blunder and if things don’t get back on track you’re going to lose a lot of customers.  I have 10 Sonos speaker, a connect and plus a record player I purchased.   I can’t use the record player any longer due to my Sonos Connect and Sonos 5 not being able to work with your new app.  In addition, 4 of my other speakers will no longer connect to my network on S2.  It is just not the same that I can’t play songs on a single network that is located all around my home.  If you can do anything to assist, please make it so the new speakers can be added to the S1 network, since I can’t add so many to the S2 and because the S2 app isn’t worth using as is.

My understanding is that the FAQ article will be updated as needed. But I also don’t think that data is exhaustive. 

They need to address the lost features first.  I love that the new speakers can do more when using the new app but you are missing the point.  Fix the app or allow the S1 to connect to new speakers.  That would fix a bunch of the issues immediately for most.  However, that would remove the money Sonos is making by taking away so many of the earlier speakers ability to work today so I know that will not happen.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

They need to address the lost features first.  I love that the new speakers can do more when using the new app but you are missing the point.  Fix the app or allow the S1 to connect to new speakers.  That would fix a bunch of the issues immediately for most.  However, that would remove the money Sonos is making by taking away so many of the earlier speakers ability to work today so I know that will not happen.

The release notes indicated improved library connectivity although, that certainly isn’t the case for me or others. In fact, the iOS/iPhone app doesn’t even show my  libraries under Your Sources.  Like mjnoe70, I’d be happy to roll back to the S2 app on my iPhone.  As I’d mentioned before, they’ve “fixed” something that was never broken.  Additionally, the web app is hosed as well.  I launch that every once in a while to see if something’s changed and, it hasn’t.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

New issue for me: I use my Apple iPad to control SONOS (and all my other home automation). Every time I try to open the new app it just spins and spins and spins and will not open. I close the app. The second time I click on the app it loads and opens. So now every time I want to use SONOS I have to open the app TWICE. WTF?

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

New issue for me: I use my Apple iPad to control SONOS (and all my other home automation). Every time I try to open the new app it just spins and spins and spins and will not open. I close the app. The second time I click on the app it loads and opens. So now every time I want to use SONOS I have to open the app TWICE. WTF?

I’m to the point, as more time passes and the complaints pile up, that I think their app is a complete and total bust. People have posted work-arounds but, to what degree does this become “our” responsibility to repair - in whatever backasswards way is necessary - our Sonos systems?  I’m holding out hope that Sonos will release a new update, additional app - whatever - that will allow us to AT LEAST get back to where we were with our iPhones/iPads and, our libraries will reappear on said devices no matter how they’re stored, NAS, USB...etc.  I’ll take S2 back on my iPhone now if that’s a possibility if it will get me back where I once was.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I’m to the point, as more time passes and the complaints pile up, that I think their app is a complete and total bust. People have posted work-arounds but, to what degree does this become “our” responsibility to repair - in whatever backasswards way is necessary - our Sonos systems?  I’m holding out hope that Sonos will release a new update, additional app - whatever - that will allow us to AT LEAST get back to where we were with our iPhones/iPads and, our libraries will reappear on said devices no matter how they’re stored, NAS, USB...etc.  I’ll take S2 back on my iPhone now if that’s a possibility if it will get me back where I once was.

It’s possible.  Read this thread to the end

It’s a bit involved but was worth it for me.  I’m running S2 on my iPad.  My system works like a charm.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

It’s a bit involved but was worth it for me.  I’m running S2 on my iPad, my system works like a charm.

Alex… Thanks for the post.  Is there somewhere in that link/thread where it addresses iOS/iPhone/iPad downgrade process?  I see the Android stuff.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

It’s a bit involved but was worth it for me.  I’m running S2 on my iPad, my system works like a charm.

Alex… Thanks for the post.  Is there somewhere in that link/thread where it addresses iOS/iPhone/iPad downgrade process?  I see the Android stuff.

Go to my first post, around the middle of the first page.  I made three posts in a row because the system initially held up my first post.

If it works for you (or have any problems) please post in that thread so others can benefit.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

Go to my first post, around the middle of the first page.  I made three posts in a row because the system initially held up my first post.

If it works for you (or have any problems) please post in that thread so others can benefit.

Hi, Alex… I appreciate you sharing that but… That kind of work-around is exactly what I was referring to when I typed “but, to what degree does this become our responsibility to repair - in whatever backasswards way…”  I think it’s great that some techies have the equipment and ability to do this. I’m not one of them.  I have no Windows anything and, I felt quite good about myself when I was able to rollback to the S2 controller on my desktops (two iMacs). 😂  This particular effort is tiring just skimming it.  Thanks again, Alex.  I appreciate the effort.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi, Alex… I appreciate you sharing that but… That kind of work-around is exactly what I was referring to when I typed “but, to what degree does this become our responsibility to repair - in whatever backasswards way…”  I think it’s great that some techies have the equipment and ability to do this. I’m not one of them.  I have no Windows anything and, I felt quite good about myself when I was able to rollback to the S2 controller on my desktops (two iMacs). 😂  This particular effort is tiring just skimming it.  Thanks again, Alex.  I appreciate the effort.

I get it.  If you don’t have access to a windows machine it’s not a possibility for you.