Answered

My list of issues with new Sonos App on IOS

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

​​​​​​I have updated the Sonos IOS app on just ONE of my IOS devices (thankfully).
My overall impression of the new Sonos IOS app is that it is missing quite a bit of functionality that was available in the old app. I therefore suspect there will be quite a backlash from existing users until Sonos address some of these issues.

For what it is worth, here is my initial list of issues/questions…

1 - There are issues with the Rova service on the new app. When you click on Rova via the “Your Services” rail nothing shows.
My other IOS devices that are still using the old Sonos app correctly show the list of Rova Station selections as expected.

2 - Related to the above point, when searching for a radio station. e.g. “The Sound” the Rova stations do not show in the results and the Rova service icon in the search rail shows with a “!” icon next to the service name. Doing the same search using the old app correctly returns the Rova stations in the search results.

3 - The “Sonos Favorites” rail list only shows 18 items and nothing happens when you click the “>” icon at the top right of the “Sonos Faborites” rail. This should expand the list to show all of my favorites. The old app and the new Web app BOTH allow you to see all of your favorites (I have 30 favorites in my list).

4 - The Music Library no longer allows you to position into your list of Artists or Albums by selecting a letter to position into. This is a pain if you have a large list of albums.
e.g. To play Album “Zombie” by Fela Kuti you have to scroll through your entire list of albums in alphabetical order to be able to select it.
What makes this worse is the fact you can no longer search your Music Library being that the “Classic”  search option which supported Music Libraries is no longer supported.
Again what makes this worse is that the Album list within the Music library previously displayed in grid form, now it displays in list form with 1 album per row so it takes forever to scroll through the list.

5 - When you play an album from your Music Library the tracks on the album are not added/visible in the queue. You there cannot edit the queue to reorder tracks etc. You also don’t seem to have the ability to be able to add songs to the end of the queue or select to play next etc.

6 - The “Manage” list within “System Settings” on the old app doesn’t include the ability to setup/maintain your Music Library settings. So currently the only way to maintain these settings is by using the old Desktop Controller, which I understand is soon to be retired.
So my question here is, moving forward how are we going to do tasks like adding a new Shared Music Folder?

Ross.

​​​​​​​

icon

Best answer by rosswells127 8 May 2024, 00:36

View original

139 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

A quick message for the users who rely on the Sonos alarm on the mobile app - a fix for now...

1. Download the app onto your pc or mac (I am a mac user - never done this - and have always relied on the mobile app).
  2. Connect to your existing system wifi.
  3. In the main window bottom right corner - select the alarm function button
  4. If you cannot see your favourite radio station - I use to wake up to - play it through the main browser window
  5. Go back to the alarm you created and ‘edit’ it
  6. Set the music to - radio - recently listened to, It should be there.

At least I don’t have to wake up to the siren tomorrow - phew!
Userlevel 1

Add this one to the list:

Using “Music Library” > “Folders” to select a track will play the song, however it will show “No Title”, does not show time played/remaining (no slider either), and does not proceed to the next song as normal if you were to select a song in a list of songs from an album.  I use this method of playing music almost exclusively and after the update… terrible.

Same issue. Bring back the old app until this is fixed.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

The App has killed their ecosystem. Trust in new hardware upgrades is lost as the programmers and/or managers don’t value their core value proposition. Removing a feature to make a personal Music Library  unless is unforgivable. But add removing most basic features like Queue, Alarm, Timer, Mute and even switching sources between TV and Music on Amp?! What are they thinking? I’ve now got 20 products that are an iPod Shuffle with a streaming algorithm… Might as well find a $30 JBL bluetooth speaker. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

“Estimated wait time is 40 minutes” lol On hold with service, my whole system is in chaos this morning as the new app is not picking up speakers, not playing streaming services that it previously did in the old app. If they don’t want to admit the released is an early beta please let us choose between the new and the old app. My phone automatically updated the app, I didn’t even chose this hell. I turned off automatic updates in the app since the last debacle bricked my system. If last time was any indication of how they fix these bug / beta releases, I’m not optimistic this will be fixed anytime soon. I regret buying this wireless system.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@shed53 . I have DM’ed you with the details.
Ross.

Could you share with me please?  Trying to make something usable ☹️

Same request here! Thanks in advance.

Me too please. 

Badge

could you share third party app with me as well.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Update: I got disconnected at 30min. I found a way to roll back, uninstalled new app, re-installed the Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a) version. Connected and worked perfectly. YIKES! Not a good look Sonos

Badge

can you share how you rolled back update

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

check dm’s

check dm’s

Please help me w/ this advice too?  

@ unahppyowner. I have DM’ed you so that I don’t break any rules. 😉

me too please. The new app has destroyed what little I thought of Sonos.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

I can no longer see the percentage charge on my Roam. 
And that’s a small problem compared with the app’s shockingly slow speed. As others have noted in detail it’s hard to see what you are listening to and to control the system. 
I don’t even like the look of the app. 
shame. 

I posted on another thread about the problem with seeing the Roam percentage charge. See that thread for how to check the charge for now, and the reply about trying to have this added back to the speaker page where it was before:

https://en.community.sonos.com/general-feedback-and-conversation-229090/new-app-requires-more-clicking-not-less-6892380?tid=6892380&postid=16719986&utm_source=community-care&utm_medium=systememail&utm_campaign=en-mention#post16719986

Userlevel 2

I would also love to know how to roll back to an earlier iOS version of the app.

Hello, @rosswells127. It looks like we will need you to send us that DM as well, if you are still inclined to share that 3rd party app. We’re on iOS and macOS.

Thank you for stepping in to help out the community. It seems like Sonos ought to compensate you in some way, along with the developer of the 3rd party app!

I have been a Sonos user since day 1 and have 18 speakers. This new S2 app is absolutely the worst update Sonos has ever done , a total piece of s*&t! So many things are missing and wrong with it that not worth listing at this point . So glad I didn’t update on my I pad. Unfortunately, I use my phone more to control everything , now it’s totally useless. You really screwed up this time Sonos, thanks.

I’m 30 minutes in and ready to quit. All the familiar helpful features are gone, I can’t build a queue, I can’t find songs easily, plus, it’s buggy as hell. Songs just randomly quit, speakers change, and it’s not at all clear why. Sonos just make the speakers and let the other companies link to them. Controlling the experience / interface is making it so much worse

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Update: I got disconnected at 30min. I found a way to roll back, uninstalled new app, re-installed the Sonos 16.1 (arm64 v8a) version. Connected and worked perfectly. YIKES! Not a good look Sonos

Badge

Wow, this is the WORST thing I've ever seen. The new app

• can NOT intelligently add to the current playlist
    • play now
    • play after
    • insert at the end of the list
  • has no alarm clock

They release a green banana beta version to EVERY user which is missing essential features. With bugs on essential features, they then just remove the feature, and don’t care that millions of users can no longer set or change their alarms, because the feature is no longer available, as it was buggy 🤣.

Amazing. Would be one of the funniest stories if it weren’t so sad. 😎

What Sonos is pulling off here needs to go into the textbooks of any decent Software or Business School, it's already now legendary: "How do I ruin the market value of a billion dollar company with a major software disaster".

Userlevel 3

I really like my Sonos gear, but the new app not so much! 
Here is what I have decided to do until Sonos add the missing features and fix their bugs with the new app.

I have installed a 3rd party Sonos controller on my iPad - which I had updated to the new Sonos app.
The 3rd party app has excellent Music Library support and also allows me to listen to my radio stations via Rova. It also allows me to see all of my Favorites.

Can you say what the 3rd party app is please?

I won't be buying any more Sonos speakers, but I need something to bring my 1,000's of dollars worth of bricks back to life. 

Userlevel 1

Has anyone tried to update your wifi SSID?

Hint - “the “feature” is missing and will reintroduced in a future release”. As per a discussion with a tech yesterday.

i have a ticket in with tier 3 support, so far no response.  I have a 50 foot Ethernet chord running through my house as a temp fix!

This is totally amateurish 

Without warning, the app change eliminated the connection to Subsonic, which is the only way I listen to my music library. Anyone have an idea for a workaround or a different controller? Wait time for customer service is 80 minutes. It’s an outrage. Skip 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Here is what I have decided to do until Sonos add the missing features and fix their bugs with the new app.

I have installed a 3rd party Sonos controller on my iPad - which I had updated to the new Sonos app.
The 3rd party app has excellent Music Library support and also allows me to listen to my radio stations via Rova. It also allows me to see all of my Favorites.

I won't be buying any more Sonos speakers, but I need something to bring my 1,000's of dollars worth of bricks back to life. 

For android go to:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/#downloads

You can re-install the old version

Hey Rosswells127 which 3rd party app? Please 🙏 thank you! 

Userlevel 3

Thank you. Worked perfectly.

I'll still be looking for a 3rd party app though so I can migrate to a different hardware manufacturer without binning my current Sonos devices.