Answered

My list of issues with new Sonos App on IOS

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

​​​​​​I have updated the Sonos IOS app on just ONE of my IOS devices (thankfully).
My overall impression of the new Sonos IOS app is that it is missing quite a bit of functionality that was available in the old app. I therefore suspect there will be quite a backlash from existing users until Sonos address some of these issues.

For what it is worth, here is my initial list of issues/questions…

1 - There are issues with the Rova service on the new app. When you click on Rova via the “Your Services” rail nothing shows.
My other IOS devices that are still using the old Sonos app correctly show the list of Rova Station selections as expected.

2 - Related to the above point, when searching for a radio station. e.g. “The Sound” the Rova stations do not show in the results and the Rova service icon in the search rail shows with a “!” icon next to the service name. Doing the same search using the old app correctly returns the Rova stations in the search results.

3 - The “Sonos Favorites” rail list only shows 18 items and nothing happens when you click the “>” icon at the top right of the “Sonos Faborites” rail. This should expand the list to show all of my favorites. The old app and the new Web app BOTH allow you to see all of your favorites (I have 30 favorites in my list).

4 - The Music Library no longer allows you to position into your list of Artists or Albums by selecting a letter to position into. This is a pain if you have a large list of albums.
e.g. To play Album “Zombie” by Fela Kuti you have to scroll through your entire list of albums in alphabetical order to be able to select it.
What makes this worse is the fact you can no longer search your Music Library being that the “Classic”  search option which supported Music Libraries is no longer supported.
Again what makes this worse is that the Album list within the Music library previously displayed in grid form, now it displays in list form with 1 album per row so it takes forever to scroll through the list.

5 - When you play an album from your Music Library the tracks on the album are not added/visible in the queue. You there cannot edit the queue to reorder tracks etc. You also don’t seem to have the ability to be able to add songs to the end of the queue or select to play next etc.

6 - The “Manage” list within “System Settings” on the old app doesn’t include the ability to setup/maintain your Music Library settings. So currently the only way to maintain these settings is by using the old Desktop Controller, which I understand is soon to be retired.
So my question here is, moving forward how are we going to do tasks like adding a new Shared Music Folder?

Ross.

​​​​​​​

icon

Best answer by rosswells127 8 May 2024, 00:36

View original

139 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sonos makes neat audio stuff. But please, Sonos, stay away from building apps for your gear. Go third party. Take it out of house--and if you are already subbing out this coding, fire them. I’m sure you can find a few retired Apple wiz kids that would be delighted to build you a cadillac app.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

​​​​​​I have updated the Sonos IOS app on just ONE of my IOS devices (thankfully).
My overall impression of the new Sonos IOS app is that it is missing quite a bit of functionality that was available in the old app. I therefore suspect there will be quite a backlash from existing users until Sonos address some of these issues.

1 - There are issues with the Rova service on the new app. When you click on Rova via the “Your Services” rail nothing shows.
My other IOS devices that are still using the old Sonos app correctly show the list of Rova Station selections as expected.

2 - Related to the above point, when searching for a radio station. e.g. “The Sound” the Rova stations do not show in the results and the Rova service icon in the search rail shows with a “!” icon next to the service name. Doing the same search using the old app correctly returns the Rova stations in the search results.

3 - The “Sonos Favorites” rail list only shows 18 items and nothing happens when you click the “>” icon at the top right of the “Sonos Faborites” rail. This should expand the list to show all of my favorites. The old app and the new Web app BOTH allow you to see all of your favorites (I have 30 favorites in my list).

4 - The Music Library no longer allows you to position into your list of Artists or Albums by selecting a letter to position into. This is a pain if you have a large list of albums.
e.g. To play Album “Zombie” by Fela Kuti you have to scroll through your entire list of albums in alphabetical order to be able to select it.
What makes this worse is the fact you can no longer search your Music Library being that the “Classic”  search option which supported Music Libraries is no longer supported.
Again what makes this worse is that the Album list within the Music library previously displayed in grid form, now it displays in list form with 1 album per row so it takes forever to scroll through the list.

5 - When you play an album from your Music Library the tracks on the album are not added/visible in the queue. You there cannot edit the queue to reorder tracks etc. You also don’t seem to have the ability to be able to add songs to the end of the queue or select to play next etc.

6 - The “Manage” list within “System Settings” on the old app doesn’t include the ability to setup/maintain your Music Library settings. So currently the only way to maintain these settings is by using the old Desktop Controller, which I understand is soon to be retired.
So my question here is, moving forward how are we going to do tasks like adding a new Shared Music Folder?

Ross.

Hi @rosswells127 

May I ask what 3rd party app you installed?

Like you, I couldn’t believe how awful and how much of a retrograde step the new official app is.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@shed53 . I have DM’ed you with the details.
Ross.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ross.

Got it — many thanks!

Userlevel 1

Ross.

Could you share with me please?  Trying to make something usable ☹️

Userlevel 3

Do not update your app. You have been warned. 

Not intuitive 

Basic features such as accessing your playlists is not available. All playlist are gone! 

Adding music to a queue is not available

Not able to add an additional music library / media server. 

Setting music to crossfade is not available

It's literally a mess. 

This needs to be fixed ASAP!!!!!!

Userlevel 3

Ross.

Hi @rosswells127 

Like you, I couldn’t believe how awful and how much of a retrograde step the new official app is.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Could you share with me please?? 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@dtrouton @Nathstar . I have DM’ed you with the details.

Ross.

Userlevel 2

@rosswells127, could you DM me the details as well? I can’t abide the app after this debacle of an “upgrade”. Thanks.

Just downloaded app. I’m probably only one who uses pandora, but the modes are gone. I almost always listen to deep cuts or energy boost modes as I get to hear new music I am sometimes unaware of. Otherwise you hear same songs over and over. Very disappointed!

Userlevel 1

Do Not Download this last update...it’s absolutely disgraceful!

I can’t add new songs to my current Sonos playlists from my iPhone 13:  I can save songs to Songs favourites but not directly to Sonos playlist….I can’t delete unwanted songs from my Sonos Playlists on same phone! 

My Sonos playlists ( I only have 4-5) are now now bundled in with Favourites instead of having a stand alone section which is probably why I can’t now save songs directly to those playlists!!

Now the app is unable to load content to Favourites so I can’t even see my playlists to access the music. This often happened with the old app version but Playlists would eventually reappear with time. 

The Sonos speaker system is pretty good but there are other speaker systems available that are also pretty good which have far far better software to access music.

Really the Sonos app has always been rubbish but I persevere because I’ve invested in the system.

The app is required to use the speaker system but the app is the very weak link in the set up! Sonos have had years and years to get this right and have only gotten worse effectively rendering my Sonos speaker system inoperable….. Why do I want to retain a sound system that can’t be played??

I’m truly going to consider replacing my entire Sonos system with another brand..I’m that sick and tired of it!

Badge

I can no longer see the percentage charge on my Roam. 
And that’s a small problem compared with the app’s shockingly slow speed. As others have noted in detail it’s hard to see what you are listening to and to control the system. 
I don’t even like the look of the app. 
shame. 

I also regret updating my Sonos app.  I do not see how to set a sleep timer or alarm within the app. Also I do not see how to search stations for an artist. Really wish I could go back.  Very Disappointed. 

Userlevel 1

Unacceptable! Releasing an app “upgrade“ that isn’t ready for primetime. Way to go Sonos. No functionality to add or delete songs or reorder play order in the queue? What were you thinking? This is basic stuff. Epic FAIL!  

So disappointed that Sonos brought out a new iOS App to control my music, yes it’s supposed to be my music, it’s not something for Sonos to fart around with and fix something that’s not broken. To say I’m pissed off is an understatement. 👎🇬🇧

Badge

Totally agree, the new app is missing so many core features it’s a pain to use. 

Most painful for me: 

• no way of adding to end of the queue
  • no option to reorganise the queue
  • on Ipad in Landscape mode, the queue is not showing alongside the played track
  • no option to view details on a track or artist (view artist, all albums, related artists etc.)
  • no possibel to add to Spotify Libraries

and there are plenty more. Quite incredible Sonos is releasing this beta product. I agree, Sonos should release the S2 App on the App Store so we can downgrade and wait until the new app is out of beta. 

Any recommendation which 3rd party Sonos controller is best ? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Ross.

Hi @rosswells127 

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Would you please DM me the third party app details? This downdate version is apalling and should nevber have got out of peer to peer testing let alone system testing or UAT.

Thanks

Userlevel 2

@ unahppyowner. I have DM’ed you so that I don’t break any rules. 😉

Hello, can you DM me the alternative controller details too please? Many Thanks…

Userlevel 2

Ross.

Could you share with me please?  Trying to make something usable ☹️

Same request here! Thanks in advance.

Userlevel 2

I wish I read these comments before updating the app… 

No Alarm feature or Sleep Timer.. I use both features daily and now we have to wait until the Geeks at Sonos decide to roll out an update..

Some folks should be fired for this release..

Totally agree. What a load of crap! I am a massive advocate of SONOS, but this release is shockingly bad. It’s either deliberate on the part of SONOS for who knows what reason. Or it’s incompetence on the part of management. Who signed this release off? Whoever it was showed absolutely no consideration for the end users. Us! 😮 Shocking! 😮 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

“Hey Sonos”….

While I am happy to continue to do this, I am not 100% comfortable that I am recommending 3rd party apps within your community pages to assist your loyal customers through this difficult time where they have lost existing/expected functionality with no advanced warning from you as their software supplier.
Surely it would be better for all concerned for you to re-release the old S2 app to tide people through until your “new” app is more fully featured and less buggy.

I really can’t understand why you would release such a sub-par app “update” especially at a time where you are about to announce a new (and from what I understand really important to your bottom line) product. I may be way off with my thinking but it almost appears from the outside looking in that you were possibly under pressure to rush the new app to market because it contains the required changes to support this new product which the old S2 app didn’t. This is just me trying to get my head around why you did what you did???.

We as your loyal customers all have a vested interest in seeing Sonos succeed as a company and I for one really hope you get your **** together ASAP before you do any more damage to your brand.

Ross.

“Hey Sonos”….

While I am happy to continue to do this, I am not 100% comfortable that I am recommending 3rd party apps within your community pages to assist your loyal customers through this difficult time where they have lost existing/expected functionality with no advanced warning from you as their software supplier.
Surely it would be better for all concerned for you to re-release the old S2 app to tide people through until your “new” app is more fully featured and less buggy.

I really can’t understand why you would release such a sub-par app “update” especially at a time where you are about to announce a new (and from what I understand really important to your bottom line) product. I may be way off with my thinking but it almost appears from the outside looking in that you were possibly under pressure to rush the new app to market because it contains the required changes to support this new product which the old S2 app didn’t. This is just me trying to get my head around why you did what you did???.

We as your loyal customers all have a vested interest in seeing Sonos succeed as a company and I for one really hope you get your **** together ASAP before you do any more damage to your brand.

Ross.

I really agree with your every word you have written hopefully someone will take notice of your comments.

Any chance you can share with me the third party app link 

Thanks

Userlevel 2

“Hey Sonos”….

Ross.

I really agree with your every word you have written hopefully someone will take notice of your comments.

Any chance you can share with me the third party app link 

Thanks

As a faithful Sonos fan since the earliest S1 days, I totally subscribe to your statement. This flawed update is a digrace.

I know I’m just piling on, but I’m incredibly disappointed with the new app.

The functionality I’m missing from the old app is:

• Updating your music library hosted on a NAS.
  • Showing progress through a track when playing

I used the Sonos for playing music to sing with while auditioning. I download piano backing tracks into my Music Library which is on a , then play them in my apartment while taping auditions. This means I’m constantly adding new songs on my Western Digital MyCloud NAS and then trying to access them from my iPad to play them. There is no way to get the library to update without logging into my Windows box and updating from there.

Then I often just play a clip of the track for a 32 bar audition piece. The new UI doesn’t actually show the current time in the track being played. What?

Sonos, how could you possibly release a highly touted upgrade with piles of missing functionality. I’m a software engineer with 40 years of experience releasing products and if I did this I’d be fired.