Answered

How do I search my music library in the new app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +5
  • Prominent Collaborator I
  • 72 replies

I can browse my (very large) music library but not search it - what am I missing?

icon

Best answer by rosswells127 8 May 2024, 07:34

View original

36 replies

They managed to get everything else under Favorites, but forgot this one….

It’s no longer possible in the new app !! 

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

@webmink.

In their wisdom they have removed the classic search option in the new App. So unfortunately you no longer have a way to search your music library.
Ross.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Yes, you can navigate it and play from it, but not search it, even though it's actually indexed and held in each Player.

Clever eh…

Userlevel 1

I am incredibly angry about this.  Yes, I have Plex, but it doesn’t have a great search function either, especially for classical music. Feeling very strongly that I will cast aside my Sonos speakers and such onto Ebay

Userlevel 3

Also just found out I’m unable to search Music Library…  annoying doesn't even cover it!

Pls sort this out, SONOS!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Absolutely gobsmacked by this. I knew the direction of travel was to not improve or fix “Music Library” issues but to essentially remove access too it is frankly ridiculous. I don’t know if Plex is a solution for me and the notion that I have to use the desktop Mac to play My Music on the NAS I set up all those years ago so I didn’t need the flipping desktop on ALL the time.

This is horrendous from Sonos. Judging by their share price today the market isn’t impressed either! (And I have a reasonable number of shares so a double blinking whammy!)

Userlevel 2
Badge

I have my music library in Apple Music and select Apple Music under My Services and then can change the search tab from Apple Music to my library. 

Userlevel 3

This isn’t funny. I mean really not funny. We have 12 players round the house and I listen almost exclusively to my diligently FLAC-encoded CD collection because the services just don’t cut it. This is not good enough.

Userlevel 2
Badge

What a boneheaded error.  I would totally abandon Sonos at this point as soon as I can find a viable replacement.  Hardware investments be damned.  Sonos sucks so hard. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Use one of the Desktop apps, they can still search Local Libraries.

Userlevel 1

Anybody have an idea how to re-index my library?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

They’re demonstrating the SONOS ecosystem is no longer viable for all content/source control. It’s now become iPod Shuffle with an algorithm streaming service. This destruction of value prop and not allowing the S2 App be available to go back on the App Store demonstrates their negligence as custodians of an world-class ecosystem and therefore doesn’t warrant further investment to upgrade hardware or new services. 

Userlevel 3

Use one of the Desktop apps, they can still search Local Libraries.

Thank you. It’s good to know the functionality still exists somewhere. Having it on mobile (iOS in my case) is the best option.

I’m guessing that those of us not streaming are a low proportion of Sonos customers. It doesn’t make it any easier to swallow.

Userlevel 3

This update has removed most of the ways I use my system - searching and then playing from my NAS based library and alarms.

I now seem to have a very expensive system with significantly less value to me … anyone want to buy some well looked after units while I look for a company that cares about it’s customers?

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

Yes. Couldnt browse music library!

Sonos is declining!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This update has removed most of the ways I use my system - searching and then playing from my NAS based library and alarms.

I now seem to have a very expensive system with significantly less value to me … anyone want to buy some well looked after units while I look for a company that cares about it’s customers?

You can still do all of this using the Desktop apps.

Userlevel 3

I know, but that is not really a satisfactory longterm solution for anyone.

Firstly … what is a Desktop? Many families will leave the set up to the techie in the family and just access the resulting library. So for them the functionality is just gone.

Then even for that techie, you need to go to another room; start up the desktop; do your searching; hit play …  every time you want to use a function that was built in to all of the apps a few days ago.

Not really a use ability step forward, is it?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Turucuk , you won’t find anyone (except, seemingly Sonos management) disagreeing with you.

@controlav is just trying to help and giving you a possible workaround.  I’m sure he hates the situation every bit as much as pretty much all customers seem to.

The official response to (y)our problems is a much more condescending, disgusting and arrogant one:

“…. It takes courage to rebuild a brand’s core product from the ground up, and to do so knowing it may require taking a few steps back to ultimately leap into the future….”

So, yesterday I could see my music library (nas), but not search. Today, I can’t even see my music library from the app.

I’m not keen on plex. Any suggestions to Sonos for NAS driven Music Libraries? If Sonos won’t play it, then I will bin it for something that does.

Userlevel 4

I have my music library in Apple Music and select Apple Music under My Services and then can change the search tab from Apple Music to my library. 

That works for a lot of music, and it’s a handy function. But what they’re doing is matching your personal library to Apple Music files, and the search returns are actually their files, not yours. 

Most of the time, that’s a satisfactory option. But sometimes you don’t get what you want. For example, they’ll typically return the latest, highest res version available on Apple Music. If what you wanted to find is that original mix that you like better, you’re out of luck. Similarly, if you have custom files in your personal library, none of those are available through Apple Music or its search. 

So it’s a decent partial solution, but no substitute for having easy, searchable access to your own local library. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

So, yesterday I could see my music library (nas), but not search. Today, I can’t even see my music library from the app.

I’m not keen on plex. Any suggestions to Sonos for NAS driven Music Libraries? If Sonos won’t play it, then I will bin it for something that does.

Upload your files to iBroadcast.com - the new app can search that.

Userlevel 2

Wow. Another function lost from sonos. Someone used the phrase "boneheaded" to describe the update and that's pretty much spot on.

I've been using my sonos kit since the very start of the service in UK, with plenty of updates and ten or so players, amps and ports around the house. Sadly, looking like it's time to call it a day and find another brand 

Too bad. Ebay time for my kit, if it's not fixed soon, I suspect. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

Time to move to other brand