Answered

Can't add Apple Music on Android Sonos app

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I’ve been using Apple Music with Sonos on an Android device for years.  If I remember correctly, you need to add the Apple Music app to the device before adding it to Sonos or else the account won’t authenticate. 

Yes, everybody know that. The problem is that it’s now impossible to add a new Apple Music link or re-authorize an existing one if you lose connection somehow.

It’s obviously a low priority for both Sonos and Apple, because the problem has been outstanding for months, and Sonos has only recently acknowledged that it’s a bug after giving out pointless generic advice to people reporting the problem for months.

hi jgatie, thanks for your comment, but it doesn’t help. 
Apple Music is on the Android device installed and works perfect on its own. 
The problem is the same, as described by the TO. We can’t add the existing Apple Music account to the Sonos App. As Android has no Air Play, there is no possibility to play the music via the Sonos speaker. 
br, Marina

Presumably Sonos will have fired off a request to Apple to fix the issue at their end.. I suspect it’s a case of waiting for Apple to fix it.

Userlevel 1

Just wanted to let you guys at Sonos know that I’m still frustrated like many others.  

We still can’t use the expensive Sonos speakers with Android device…

You promised in advertising that it will work with Apple Music on Android. It doesn’t. You claimed this to be an issue of high priority.. it isn’t? 

please fix it or let us know that you’re not working on it. 
thx

I’ve been using Apple Music with Sonos on an Android device for years.  If I remember correctly, you need to add the Apple Music app to the device before adding it to Sonos or else the account won’t authenticate. 

hi jgatie, thanks for your comment, but it doesn’t help. 
Apple Music is on the Android device installed and works perfect on its own. 
The problem is the same, as described by the TO. We can’t add the existing Apple Music account to the Sonos App. As Android has no Air Play, there is no possibility to play the music via the Sonos speaker. 
br, Marina

Hey, I’m in the same boat. The only reason why I have Apple Music is because it works (worked) with Sonos, AND I have 20-years worth of personal music uploaded to iCloud.

Does anyone know of another cloud music storage service that works with Sonos?

Thanks!

I've been using Sonos app with Apple Music on an Android device since January without any issue. Last week, I had to reauthorize my Apple account for the TV and Apple Music disappeared from the Sonos app. Very frustrating. Sonos need to give this issue more attention! 

I phoned Sonos.....don't bother. The guy started by telling me that you can't use Apple Music on an Android device so hopefully he's not in charge of fixing the problem..…

Expensive speakers which I can only listen to Sonos stations on and they keep skipping when playing.

The guy told me, as a solution, to buy an iPhone or borrow a friend's phone! Hopeless. Actually, I have an iPhone for work but it won't let me sign in with another ID.

Get this fixed please!

Just wanted to let you guys at Sonos know that I’m still frustrated like many others.  

You promised in advertising that it will work with Apple Music on Android. It doesn’t. You claimed this to be an issue of high priority.. it isn’t? 

thx

Userlevel 1

thx

This outgoing issue steps over the line of unlawful advertising. Sonos advertise his products as compatible with iTunes, however they have an ongoing issue that fails to deliver the advertised. I wonder if there is any way for us users to get a compensation based on this misleading advertising...

What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is this supposed to mean?  The OP is having trouble adding Apple Music to Sonos on an Android device.  Which has less than nothing to do with frigging iTunes.

Badge

This outgoing issue steps over the line of unlawful advertising. Sonos advertise his products as compatible with iTunes, however they have an ongoing issue that fails to deliver the advertised. I wonder if there is any way for us users to get a compensation based on this misleading advertising...

Does your Mac laptop run iOS, or MacOS?

Just to add another wrinkle to this: info on Sonos controllers says an “IOS device” will be able to add Apple music on Sonos, but that’s not true.  It has to be an iPhone, a Mac laptop won’t do it.  

Hi @casaper 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

We are aware of this new issue of being unable to add Apple Music to Sonos via an Android device and we are currently investigating it, though we have no estimate for when this will be resolved.

Unfortunately, the only workaround we know of is to use an iOS device to add Apple Music - no help to you, I know.

I will update this topic thread once we have fixed the issue.

What’s the status on this?  I am trying to trial Apple Music and the fact that I can’t add is to my Sonos services is frustrating.  As others have mentioned here, it should be announced if you aren’t going to support Apple Music through the Android app. 

Sonos, as a rule, does not provide ETAs, I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

Anyone from Sonos able to give an eta for a fix?

Could be.  They may be the same coder that does TruePlay validation for new Apple devices, too ;) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I think the guy that maintains Sonos software is on vacation right now, and they don’t want to re-assign the other guy that writes software for the new products. :grinning:

It’s more than likely that no one in CS has an inkling as to not only what the issue is, but which group is changing code to fix the issue. Much less when that code is written, tested, and released. 

Sonos does have forum moderators who pass back information to the development team, and I would feel fairly confident that timelines for perspective fixes are not shared with them, either. 

Userlevel 1

I contacted customer service this week and they gave absolutely zero assurance that apple music will be supported on  Android anytime soon. Why they keep advertising support is beyond me, and not really ethical - especially if you are buying the product under the expectation it will work.

Since Apple Music has an exclusive license to some labels I really like, Sonos failure to provide android connectivity turns my speakers into bricks. My interim solution is to use headphones for apple and subscribe to a second service for sonos. That is cheaper than upgrading my sonos bricks and still gives me a library to use speakers for most things.  Upgrading or buying additional sonos products is out of the question until this is resolved.

I also contacted apple, and they punted the issue to sonos. 

Does anyone from sonos monitor these forums?  Maybe they could give a target date for resolution? Or at least be honest and flat out deny support for apple music. 

i have the same issue here. Tried to use my sisters iphone but it keeps saying it will use her apple ID for adding the service and i cant override with my own !

this is terrible ! 

Well just got home and unpacked my sonos arc, isn't this a disappointing first issue to run into. More disappointing that it's been an issue for many months apparently. You should not advertise Apple music support if you don't plan to support it. 

Userlevel 1

Hi there,

we‘re experiencing the same issue. 
I have an IOS device which works well with my Sonos speakers. 
My Dad bought also Sonos speakers but has an Android device. 
We share Apple Music and I have great sound while he cant use his brand new speakers. 

An Update and Software Patch on this issue would be appreciated as this is really unsatisfying… 

thanks and regards

I contacted apple support and they said it was a Sonos issue, that Sonos needs to fix. Apple would not say why apple hasnt added Sonos connect to the apple music app, like Spotify. 

Probably because the majority of users will then use the Apple Airplay2 connection to send the audio to Sonos devices instead.

Userlevel 1

I contacted apple support and they said it was a Sonos issue, that Sonos needs to fix. Apple would not say why apple hasnt added Sonos connect to the apple music app, like Spotify. 

Userlevel 1

The last answer here was 12 days ago. Are you able to escalate this. I only use Apple Music, and my expensive Sonos speaker system is now completely unusable (I do not have access to an iOS device)

How is this ok?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Any update on the fix for this “new” issue? 

It’s been reported for almost 3 months now. Don’t hold your breath.