Answered

Can't add Apple Music on Android Sonos app

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

105 replies

In the Android app, when I try to add my existing Apple Music subscription.

I hit the :

“I’m already a member” button

And then I get 1 second of spinner. But then I get a white screen forever:

Forever white

And AFAIS I can only add Apple Music via the Sonos app on the phone. I have no iOS device. I own a mac and Android devices.
I’d have plenty of Linux devices.. But I guess those are anyway not being supported by Sonos (which is kinda sucks to be honest).

So

I have had the same issue. After being on the phone with Apple for an hour they said it was on the Sonos end. Meanwhile I am paying a monthly subscription for a service I cannot play on any of my speakers. PLEASE address this

Any news? This bug is unacceptable. Sonos cannot simply say “Yeah, we know” and at the same time have Apple Music marked “Operational”, at https://status.sonos.com/. Dishonest and unprofessional. 

We need a compensation for such disservice.

Sonos blames Apple.  Apple blames Apple.  Solution?  Boycott Sonos!!!!  :rolling_eyes:

Userlevel 1

I initiated a chat with sonos today on the status, and it was no help. Sonos blamed it on Apple, while Apple had previously blamed it on Apple. I asked about target date, and was told it was Sonos was waiting for Apple. So I asked if they had a plan to follow up with Apple. My question as to how frequently they check in on Apple wasn’t answered.

As a result, my upgrade credits remain unused and my gift recommendations for andriod users have moved off of sonos. It’s really a shame, as Sonos pleases my ears. But there are two labels that only Apple carries in CD quality, and those labels are the reason I am sticking with Apple Music 

It’s unacceptable that Sonos can not meet the needs of Android based customers subscribing to one of the best streaming services on the planet

Exactly the point.  The end user has far more leverage than Sonos.  Which is why the advice given in this thread is to contact Apple directly, since they are where the problem lies. 

Or vote with your wallet :joy:

Which is always the best option.

Userlevel 1

Exactly the point.  The end user has far more leverage than Sonos.  Which is why the advice given in this thread is to contact Apple directly, since they are where the problem lies. 

Or vote with your wallet :joy:

... why would Apple care if Android users are left in the lurch? 

Well, they’ve lost me as a customer for one. Been subscribed for years, using it on my mac, and then when available, on my android and Sonos speakers.

Userlevel 1

... why would Apple care if Android users are left in the lurch? 

Well, they’ve lost me as a customer for one. Been subscribed for years, using it on my mac, and then when available, on my android and Sonos speakers.

Userlevel 1

The speakers support Apple Music. I play Apple Music on mine, using an Android Sonos controller. I added the service to Sonos using an iDevice, as recommended.

I do not have access to an iDevice. And I initially set it up just fine using my Android phone. It’s only recommended now that it’s broken.

Anyway, I originally posted this for those of you stuck without music on your speakers; it’s been months and with no end in sight. It is cheaper and easier to just switch to Spotify (or something else) than replace your speakers.

I would expect there is a business relationship here; both parties are responsible IMO. Sonos speakers are advertised as having Apple Music support (and continue to do so), even though it is horribly broken.

Anyway, it seems Spotify is better supported anyway (i.e. you can play music on the speakers directly from the Spotify app, which is super nice), so I’m happy :)

The only business relationship is Apple agrees to develop for the Sonos API.  Nothing else.  No money changes hands for Apple Music in the Sonos app, there are no kickbacks.  The amount of leverage Sonos has with Apple is zero. In fact, the only money Sonos pays Apple is to license Airplay on iOS devices, so why would Apple care if Android users are left in the lurch? 

Ok, I’ve given up. I’ve cancelled Apple Music for my household and subscribed to Spotify - it just works… for now.

I honestly don’t see myself purchasing any more Sonos speakers in future given the lack of responsiveness - this is not how you treat your customers.

Surely it should be “this is not how Apple should treat its customers”. It’s their app which evidently needs attention. 

Why is it always Sonos that gets the blame for their partners’ shortcomings?

I would expect there is a business relationship here; both parties are responsible IMO. Sonos speakers are advertised as having Apple Music support (and continue to do so), even though it is horribly broken.

The speakers support Apple Music. I play Apple Music on mine, using an Android Sonos controller. I added the service to Sonos using an iDevice, as recommended

Anyway, it seems Spotify is better supported anyway (i.e. you can play music on the speakers directly from the Spotify app, which is super nice), so I’m happy :)

That’s great. 

Ok, I’ve given up. I’ve cancelled Apple Music for my household and subscribed to Spotify - it just works… for now.

I honestly don’t see myself purchasing any more Sonos speakers in future given the lack of responsiveness - this is not how you treat your customers.

So let’s get this straight - Spotify works fine with Sonos on Android.  Apple Music doesn’t work with Sonos on Android.  And your response is to refuse to purchase Sonos products?  

Userlevel 1

Surely it should be “this is not how Apple should treat its customers”. It’s their app which evidently needs attention. 

Userlevel 1

This needs to be fixed.  It used to work.  I'm paying each month for music service i cant play on my sonos. What is the plan?

The plan is to wait until Apple fixes their app so it can be used to authenticate the account for use by Sonos.

Have you asked Apple?

This needs to be fixed.  It used to work.  I'm paying each month for music service i cant play on my sonos. What is the plan?

The last answer here was 12 days ago. Are you able to escalate this. I only use Apple Music, and my expensive Sonos speaker system is now completely unusable (I do not have access to an iOS device)

How is this ok?

Agree 100% it used to work and now I'm paying for apple music but nothing to play it on. 

I think we all agree, this is indeed super annoying, and want Apple to fix their issue as quickly as possible. It is unfortunate they don’t maintain a presence on the Sonos forums. 

Created an account just to post here… My sonos app has been totally fine with my apple music for the last few years, then suddenly today I tried to play “my station” and it wouldn’t work.  Lo and behold, I had to reauthorize my apple music and I have the same issue.  I uninstalled the app and reinstalled it, same problem.  This is super annoying.

You’d need to log out of their account on their phone, in to yours, set up your Apple account on Sonos, then log back out of your account on their phone, and not in Sonos. That would leave your account logged in on your Sonos, and not on their phone.

Has there been any resolution to this issue that doesn't require an iOS device?

Not unless they’re keeping it secret.

And it’s not just any old iOS device required, it has to be a recent iOS device that can run the current S2 and Apple Music apps that are frequently updated to obsolete older devices.

I tried the workaround with two different iphones and it did not do the trick as the iphones default to their owners' Apple Id. Hence I have someone else's music library running on my sonos now...😡😭

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Not unless they’re keeping it secret.

And it’s not just any old iOS device required, it has to be a recent iOS device that can run the current S2 and Apple Music apps that are frequently updated to obsolete older devices.