Skip to main content
Question

Adding Music Library

I’ve been able to add my music library to my Windows 10 Desktop using the NAS device option.  I have a Windows 10 Laptop I use for a different Sonos system in a different location. I have the music library physically on both devices, with the folder sharing settings the same. When I try to add the music library to the laptop system I get the “Folder access denied” message.  When I transferred the music library to a flash drive I was able to add it to the Laptop system without a problem.  Any ideas why? Don’t want to have to leave a flash drive connected all the time.

13 replies

Maybe see if these links will assist you…

Some issues, like the changes to shared libraries were widely discussed here in the community prior to the new Sonos App update and some users posted guides (with screenshots) etc. to help others switch their shares over to SMBv2 or higher … some links:

For Windows Users:

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-and-music-services-229131/can-t-add-folder-to-music-library-913-6893981

Sonos have also produced this guide…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

None of these solutions work.  The folder settings are exactly the same.  I can add files from a flash drive, but not from the hard drive on my laptop.  Can’t figure out why, but it’s inconvenient to have a flash drive connected all the time.

None of these solutions work.  The folder settings are exactly the same.  I can add files from a flash drive, but not from the hard drive on my laptop.  Can’t figure out why, but it’s inconvenient to have a flash drive connected all the time.

It’s perhaps a folder (user) ‘read’ or ‘read/write’ permission of a problem with the path/Netbios name etc. you might be best to reproduce the access issue and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @bthurlow, your situation is curious! Offhand, I’d expect files on a flash drive to be more problematic than files on your hard drive.

I think @Ken_Griffiths may have the right idea: the issue may be a difference in permissions between the directory on your hard drive and the directory on your flash drive. There are two separate directory permissions to check …

• Right-click on the directory and select the Security tab. If you added a “Sonos User” that account needs to have Read permission here, otherwise Everyone needs to have Read permission here (note that the latter is potentially a security concern).
  • Rright click on the directory, select the Sharing tab, click the Advanced Sharing button, and then click the Permissions button. If you added a “Sonos User” that account needs to have Read permission here, otherwise Everyone needs to have Read permission here (note that the latter is potentially a security concern).

… given that your flash drive works, I’d visit that directory first and make note of the specifics for the permissions described above. Then duplicate those settings for the directory on your hard drive.

Hope this helps!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

That did it. I adjusted the security setting. Worked like a champ. Thanks for your help.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Installed the latest Sonos update and now “no selections are available” in my music library. I removed and added the music library and rebooted the machine and the modem.  Still no change. Any ideas?

Installed the latest Sonos update and now “no selections are available” in my music library. I removed and added the music library and rebooted the machine and the modem.  Still no change. Any ideas?

I would perhaps check the user, credentials and the share permissions on the library folder and ensure that the full network path, username and credentials are correct in the Sonos App too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hi @bthurlow, which app did you just update? The latest Windows/Mac desktop app, perhaps?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Yes, windows 10 laptop. I think it was 7/18 or 7/19.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Once again, after the most recent update, I can’t add my music library from my laptop hard drive to Sonos. A flash drive adds the library and works fine. I get a “No selections available” after adding the library from the hard drive.  The sharing, permissions, and security settings are all correct. What next?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

As you have multiple locations, I strongly suggest ibroadcast.com which will let you use all of your music in both locations, and doesn’t require running the gauntlet of trying to set up a local library on the current misbehaving apps.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

While this wends it’s way to solution,  my issue was what worked NAS wise for years stopped working with the May Update and going forward. NO attempts at adding local library worked except for one CD’s worth last week and disappeared again never to return. My temps solution which seems really stable was to add a Plex server to my laptop referring to the NAS.. It’s allowed me to be able to see a) my Music folder on my NAS and, play whatever I wanted with stability. So, while this is getting sorted out by SONOS one day, my solution works for now.  FYI scanning my NAS via Plex took a long time, and, never have used so there may be things that come up but in the mean time, WORKS!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

It took a while to upload my library, but ibroadcast is working great! Seamless to get started, added it as a music service to Sonos and I have my library back. Did I mention it’s free?