Wishlist for Sonos Controller Improvements

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

291 replies

I miss the possibility to give individual music numbers a stars on the fly - like in the old Winamp
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
So far Party Mode (my personal favorite) and Casting (which fingers crossed Google Chromecast Audio is coming) are in the lead!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You can with some ervices
Userlevel 1
Badge
Just a small UI detail, but I'd like to swipe the room drop down (iOS app) left/right to quickly switch between rooms, since I only got a Play:5 and a Playbar. Would speed up things when I launch the app into the wrong room when I just want to pause the other room.

iPhone 6S specific: It would be nice to Force Touch the Sonos app and via the menu choose which room to launch the app into.
You can with some ervices

On which devices would that be?
I use PC, Android phone and Android tablet and on these it is not possible
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Just a small UI detail, but I'd like to swipe the room drop down (iOS app) left/right to quickly switch between rooms, since I only got a Play:5 and a Playbar. Would speed up things when I launch the app into the wrong room when I just want to pause the other room.

iPhone 6S specific: It would be nice to Force Touch the Sonos app and via the menu choose which room to launch the app into.

I agree. Also, when the room dropdown is not shown I would love it if you could swipe left and right between tracks rather than using the track navigation buttons.This seems the standard among many music applications
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sorry jay should say services. It is dependent on the service (like Pandora has the thumbs up in Sonos)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I like that force touch idea.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
On the controller app I never remember where to look to view a room and where to look to group/ungroup rooms.
Maybe logically they should be in the same place.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Sitting here this listening to the wonderful new album by Richard Hawley, I keep being irritated by a feature in the Windows controller. Everytime my laptop goes to sleep (Windows 10) it disconnects from wi-fi and there's no way to reconnect the controller apart from shutting down and restarting the app. Can we have a "reconnect" button / option to save a couple of mouse clicks?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The rooms button at bottom gives list of rooms then click on room to view it. The rooms button bottom middle pretty hard to miss.

There is the quick group menu under the song title but that is just to add subtract players currently playing.
I would LOVE to have a way that we could restrict access to certain rooms/zones because i wouldn't want kids to suddenly turn up loud music at night while we were sleeping, for example!
Badge
Hi,

I'm using a Sonos Connect as a network music feed agregator. It is connected on my Hi-Fi system in only one room. I control it from several devices. This post is about the PC Controller software UI, and whishes of improvments.

I have a 4K screen. The software is terrible in this configuration as everything is really tiny. So, basically, I have a Controller displaying long lists of unreadable things.
=> wish #1 : make the UI 4K-compatible.
Make it the simple way if you want, or make it the good way (configurable as a Web browser view is) if you can, but make it readable.

I only have one room, so I'm not interested in room pane.
=> wish #2 : make the UI panes configurable.
Make it the simple way : choose from several configurations, or make it the good way (moveable, removeable, resizeable, splittable, ...), but allow me the get the 1/3rd of my Controller window to not be wasted for nothing at all.

I sometimes use different sources for playing music, including ones not related at all to the Sonos system. When I come back to the Controller, everything is lost. I have no history of what I've played, and everything is to be done again. My only way to acheive this is to use the "search" function.
=> wish #3 : allow history to be automatically stored and queried
Do it the simple way by just having a list of tracks and their source, or do it the right way : having the actions stored, their results, to understand what I wanted to obtain instead of the results of my previous actions. Basically, if I select a radio station to play, retain that instead of the tracks played through the stations, but, when I come back, display the fact that I select the radio station, and an excerpt of its playlist, do not forget to keep track of the played tracks in this mode too.

Allow me to configure my board.
When I launch Sonos, I want my Deezer music stations, my Internet TuneIn radios, or whatever I usually listen to to be accessible in one click. I do NOT want to dig in some obscure hierachical structure to find, after remembering how it is organized, what queries I have done before to get my entry points back.
=> wish #4 : let me organize my board
Note that, this is to be used in addition to the history, if I don't want to dig... in the history to recall that I like to play this particular Deezer station.
Make it the simple way : oh, it already exists, this is the "Sonos favourites", reminds me of the Web browser old ages, when they were young, or do it the right way : drag and drop, resizable, with dynamic presentation, à la Windows RT.

I want to search in my current things.
When I display something in the Sonos explorer, I want to be able to search the results, and not the whole library. That means that the search acts as a filter on displayed results.
=> wish #5 allow me to filter my results
Do it the simple way, just as a filter to match anything on the text of displayed results, or do it the right way, by allowing to exclude (filter those that are not this and not that, ..., à la google "searchforthis -this -that"), to query attributes ("album:this author:that"), to express simple conditions ("durationmin:600 recordedyearmax:1955").

Currently, the player is barely readable and I find it awkward to use. But, hey, I have bought glasses, so no worries !
I must add that Connect works, and that is, by far, the most important, so, last wish :
=> wish #6 : do not break the Connect by making the Controller better.
Please 🙂
I would very much like to be able to save a song from a Spotify radio to a particular Spotify playlist. Right now I can only save them to "Your Music," requiring that I go to my desktop to organize them into playlists, which I'm not inclined to do because I'm listening to Spotify from SONOS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For those wanting better Spotify integration - release today added Album folder view back to the new Spotify Sonos App.
A feature I would love to see implemented is the ability to double tap/click on the master volume control slider and have all grouped speakers synchronise there volume to the master volume setting.

Another feature I would like implemented is the ability to use my Sonos speakers as PC speakers so they play whatever sounds my PC/Laptop is playing. This way I could stream YouTube, Netflix, or any other audio over them. Alas, I'm not going to hold my breath for this feature to be implemented as I'm sure that the Sonos company are either prevented from implementing this feature by their licensing agreements with Audio Content providers, or like most other big companies (like Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.), don't care about what their customers want ... they will take whatever scraps we deign to throw their way, and they WILL like it!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes. Ability to lock down controller very much needed.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Another feature I would like implemented is the ability to use my Sonos speakers as PC speakers so they play whatever sounds my PC/Laptop is playing. This way I could stream YouTube, Netflix, or any other audio over them.

You could use Sonos to broadcast the audio from your PC around the house via line-in, if you have a compatible Sonos connect/amp - your Sonos system just becomes a really expensive set of PC speakers. Technically, you could integrate Spotify and Sonos this way, if you really wanted to. But I'm guessing you're actually looking for something different, and something that doesn't involve cables. Or have I missed the point of your post?
Userlevel 1
Badge +8
I think the universal search needs to be improved: for example, when I search by artist, I'd like to refine my search by album or track; currently I can only search by artist or track or album.
I don't need a complex syntax, but the ability to keep my criteria when I swith from a category to another in the search window, with eventually a visual artifact that tells me that I have a filter criteria active on a search categor (that I can clear if i wish).
Userlevel 2
Badge
Never seems to make their radar. I’ve been holding out hope a third party would make something but no luck yet. We just need a Sonos Jukebox app. I can see you are pretty active here, Chris so I thought I would put out my thoughts to you on this thread. I recently reinstalled Winamp on my Windows PC and it made me realize what I've been missing by using Sonos to browse and play files from my personal collection. I have 46k files in about 5k albums from about 8k different artists.I am attaching a screenshot of the Winamp layout which is of a font and organization that allows me view my library from any angle or with any cross section I could want, the playlist is easy to adjust while listening and I can also use it to view and edit metadata while listening which is critical. There must be others out there that are looking for the same usability.

I like the ability to make up of customise room grouping but also leave the single room speaker configuration alone, say I got 5 speakers in 5 rooms, I want to be able to create various combination for customs group like

Group 1: room 2 and 3
Group 2: room 2, 4, 5
Group 3: room 1, 2, 4
Group 4: room 1,3,4,5
etc..etc...

But I also like to be able to send sound to individual room and still have the grouping around

i would like to request a granular volume control especially in the lower area. using windows and android the volume control is something like from 0 to 10 instead of 5 - please improve that.

thanks stefffen
My suggestions for improving the Windows controller:

Make it easier to build playlists - currently I have to click on each track and then select add to playlist and then the playlist which is very painful and time consuming. It would be much better to select multiple tracks and then add to a playlist. Or have multiple panes and be able to drag and drop tracks to an already open playlist.

Also I have different categories of tracks: music, language and spoken word. When adding folders from my NAS it would be good to be able to classify the folder and then have this available as a filter for browsing music etc (e.g. I don't want to see the millions of language tracks when searching for music to make a party playlist)
I'd love to see the ability to set up Groups from an alarm. When I get up in the morning, the bedroom is playing music; then I go in the kitchen, which is playing the same music (thanks to the alarm), but slightly out of sync. I can make sure, the night before, to set up a group to wake up to, but it's a pain in the ass and someone getting a late-night snack can easily screw it up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes the alarm grouping seems rather essential.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Or definable virtual zones even better.