Wishlist for Sonos Controller Improvements

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

291 replies

Support to play Podcasts from other iPhone podcast manager apps than the default. For instance, I use Overcast.

Thanks.
Feature request: show and filter on the explicit language tag in e.g. Spotify. Much appreciated! Greets from Holland.
Allow the user to choose whichever version of software they wish to run on their kit, thereby enabling regression if they so wish.
Userlevel 1
Please add a #playatendofqueue option in addition to Add to End of Queue. "Respect the Queue" made simple.
I love my Sonos system but as my eyes get older, I find the text is difficult to read - both size and contrast to background, on all interfaces - computer, tablet, mobile phone. Have I missed a setting somewhere? And trying to navigate the timeline for a song/podcast/audiobook - so difficult to be precise. The ability to lengthen the timeline to gain precision and increase font size would help those of us with ageing eye...... Many thanks.
Userlevel 2
My biggest wish:
Maybe I'm getting old, but I've wanted this for about 7 years since I first got Sonos.

I would like a browse by artist mode that actually SHOWS THE ALBUM COVERS - just like it does when browsing by album. It is just me? because this is how I always arranged all my CDs, artist->album, and I know the album covers often better than the titlres anyway so it would be MUCH more pleasing to browse this way than any of the current options.
But which album cover would represent the artist? Would Bruce Springsteen be scruffy, skinny Born to Run with Clarence over his shoulder, shaved and leather clad from Darkness, or would it be his biceps and butt from Born in the USA? 😉

On a side note, I would agree with an artist picture "artist.jpg" in the appropriate folder like you can do for the album art. Using a particular album as the artist pic may just kill the mood if I'm looking to play Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and I get a picture of the Thin White Duke next to Bowies name. God forbid the Kiss with and without makeup scandal!
Userlevel 2
Adding to above:

Maybe I should call it "browse by album - sorted by artist first"

Currently in browse by artist mode it's not attractive at all. You see a generic gray box to the left of every artists name and a ton of wasted white space to the right and above/below in that row. ...maybe I'm supposed to know how replace that generic gray box but that's all I see at the top level.

So instead of all that wasted space make each row a (perhaps sideways scrollable, or just multi-row) row of album cover thumbnails for that artists. Sure, include artists name above, or let user choose; there's enough space. Or, make it just like the albums view, sorted by artists first then album... so simple.

I understand there's a potential issue where some people just own 1 song from many different artists, or from each album, but it's hardly any less efficient than browsing by artist anyway when that's the case.

In the end it'd be nice if there was a way to distinguish full albums from individual tracks, but understandable if that's not possible since prob dependent on embedded data. But this brings me to the "browse by folder" option already in place, which would be perfect if only the album art was displayed that's within each folder. Takes more user intervention than ideal, but if sorted the way I have my albums sorted on my server within my folder devoted to full albums that'd be perfect
Badge
Has there been any further response from Sonos on this? (I quickly scanned the thread and haven't seen one). I am DESPERATE to get a log of all my prior plays back.

I don't know if it's related, but now Spotify is not logging my play history either. If I use Spotify through Sonos, none of my history is logged. So I no longer have a queue history if I accidentally wipe it out, and I no longer have a history in Spotify. This is dreadful for a person in the music business.

I can't rely on keeping my phone in my hand and mark "SAVE" for every stinking track I think I might be interested in down the line when I used to be able to scroll through a history list.

I've taken to running Spotify on mute in parallel on a spare phone in iOS on an IF recipe that logs my history to a spreadsheet in Google drive to capture my listens. It's freaking ridiculous!!!! Bring back the permanent queue.
Badge
Has there been any further response from Sonos on this? (I quickly scanned the thread and haven't seen one). I am DESPERATE to get a log of all my prior plays back.

I don't know if it's related, but now Spotify is not logging my play history either. If I use Spotify through Sonos, none of my history is logged. So I no longer have a queue history if I accidentally wipe it out, and I no longer have a history in Spotify. This is dreadful for a person in the music business.

I can't rely on keeping my phone in my hand and mark "SAVE" for every stinking track I think I might be interested in down the line when I used to be able to scroll through a history list.

I've taken to running Spotify on mute in parallel on a spare phone in iOS on an IF recipe that logs my history to a spreadsheet in Google drive to capture my listens. It's freaking ridiculous!!!! Bring back the permanent queue.

And I should add, keeping a history of all plays AS LONG AS I WANT UNTIL I PURGE IT should be from ALL SOURCES not just Spotify. One of the beautiful things about Sonos is that it creates an index from all sources: Spotify, Mixcloud, my personal hard drive libraries, Soundcloud, etc, etc......What a wonderful thing to have a list of listens as a master across sources............
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The way I go about it is I always use the queue. As I chose and pick songs I keep adding them to the end of the queue. Then I save the queue with something like October2016 and I have a bunch of sonos playlists which are just record of all the songs I had been listening to and that other friends/guests added as well.

Works well for me.

I don't see Sonos having any auto saving of history.
Badge
The way I go about it is I always use the queue. As I chose and pick songs I keep adding them to the end of the queue. Then I save the queue with something like October2016 and I have a bunch of sonos playlists which are just record of all the songs I had been listening to and that other friends/guests added as well.

Works well for me.

I don't see Sonos having any auto saving of history.

I used to be able to do that with some success (at least enough that over a period of time I could grab what I needed) but since this last update, the queue is always getting wiped out either accidentally or intentionally by someone in my household and listens are nuked before I get the info I need 😕
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Can we add the request for alphabetic 'jump bar' when navigating long lists (similar to Apple Music app on iOS) discussed here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/feature-request-alphabetic-jump-bar-long-lists-such-as-artistalbum-6740470/index1.html#post16037155
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Can we add the request for alphabetic 'jump bar' when navigating long lists (similar to Apple Music app on iOS) discussed here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask-a-question-228987/feature-request-alphabetic-jump-bar-long-lists-such-as-artistalbum-6740470/index1.html#post16037155

By the way, having finally got around to adding my own local music library to Sonos at the weekend, I realized this functionality already exists in the 'Music Library' view. Any ideas why Sonos hasn't carried it forward to other music services, if nothing else for consistency in the user interface?
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
When in the main Now Playing screen, I'd like to be able to "slide over" the Sonos Favourites menu rather than having to exit the screen to select Favourites.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
When on now playing swipe down - your last music selection screen shows (just like if you hit the down arrow in the top right corner. If you were in Sonos favorites before you will still be there.
Being able to save the playlist I create on the device (mobile) my music is stored on.

Having one touch play optional.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You seem the type that would like the new click on song play from here method notnusing queue at all.
You seem the type that would like the new click on song play from here method notnusing queue at all.

Is that an actual thing? I'd have thought the queue is pretty fundamental to how sonos works?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Not really with the new version of the controller. You will see you can click on a song and it will add that song and all to follow. You will also see within the music selection screen the song playing. It is very similar to what you see with most apps.

I personally don't like it as I like utilizing the queue. But you seem to be one that would like the new method. Try it out ignoring the queue screen and you will see what I mean.

Also - if Spotify user they just went to public beta with method to control sonos directly from the Spotify app.
Userlevel 2
The first thing is to REMOVE the Tap to Play feature they just added, people keep starting a new song in the middle of one that is playing and it is annoying, really annoying.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yep for sure
Adding my wish here that the Android controller would have an option to display the screen for a few seconds at the start of every song. Right now I can only see what is starting to play if I manually wake the screen or leave the screen on full time. The few other controllers I have used, for example on my Denon A/V receiver, do this.
How about adding the ability to like or dislike music from Apple Music ... basic functionality I would think.

Greg
I'd like to see the possibility for the app to help place devices (especially bridge and boost) for the best mesh coverage. Google wifi has an app that does just that to set up their mesh for the best coverage.