Answered

Windows 10 Controller

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

411 replies

Well Sonos just lost all my money. I mean REALLY in todays day and age you are NOT going to provide a descent Windows app? If you did make a Universal Windows App then it would work on all of these devices (WIndows 10, Windows Phone, XBox, etc.). I wish that you could calculate how much money you are losing by this decision because you just lost all of mine.
I'm done with Sonos. simple like this.
They we looking for feedback so I provided same. Demand changes minds. Thanks.

No, I'm afraid the request for feedback was prior to the decision. It's not coming, no matter how much the demand. They stated in no uncertain terms what the future is at the press release in August. They have reorganized their staff and dedicated their resources towards Alexa voice control, home automation, and direct control from native apps.
They we looking for feedback so I provided same. Demand changes minds. Thanks.
They have thought about it. They decided against it. They are concentrating on voice control instead.
Why not build a plug-in for Groove? I love Groove - use it on my 640Xl, Surface, Desktop, because it's fast, clean and easy to navigate.
There is indeed quite a large market. Forget about the windows phone, that's not the point, here. Win10 is on 350M+ devices. Listen, guys... that's important and because a competitor doesn't do it doesn't mean it's smart not to do it. Think forward. And with that SW development platform, you could develop once and with few changes, have the same app on Android, iOS and Windows............. Come on guys 🙂 Think about it. By the way, I work for Microsoft, so I might be biased but the reality is there are quite a few million potential users out there.
This is kind of amazing. I use the Sonos desktop controller on my Windows 10 laptops, and even on an old, underpowered Dell tablet running Windows10. But it's a terrible touch experience.

The reality is that there is a massive market for Sonos to make a UWP app for that would shine for touch, but for some reason they're not willing to do it.

I like the speakers, and was considering getting a play:5, but I think I'm done with them if they can't create a first-class app for Windows touch devices.
There is actually a good alternative - BlueSound allowed a 3rd party app for Windows 10 uwp - and it is great.

If a 3rd party app is all it takes, there is no reason to leave Sonos. Sonos already has a 3rd party Windows app here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/p/phonos/9wzdncrcwmqs
There is actually a good alternative - BlueSound allowed a 3rd party app for Windows 10 uwp - and it is great.
I have been tempted by Sonos for ages but will not purchase purely because there is no Windows 10 app which I can use on my mobile and Surface tablets. For various reasons I will not use android devices. Reading the views of the Windows opponents is frustrating and there is no point arguing.. Sonos is missing out on my participation, end of ....
Threats to buy a competitor's system would be far more effective if one listed the competing system that support Windows UWP apps. However, since there are no competitors who support UWP apps, I can understand why listing one is difficult. 😉
Hi Sonos! I read a lot about your products. I was in the store to buy
1 playbar + 1 Sonos Sub + 2 play 3 + 3 play 1 + 1 play 5 = more than 3430€
but due to the lack of Windows 10 / 10 Mobile, I renounced.
As the previsous comment from Reflodark, I think that is a bad idea to not develop a windows app...
Only with 2 users like us, you could already earn something like more than $6000. Only with 2 people!
And I am sure we are not only 2 to think like that! So you should win to develop Universal windows apps!
There are other good sound solutions so if you confirm your choice to ignore Windows users, I will do the choise to ignore you. And that is really sad because it it a looser-looser deal...
Thanks for considering!
Pierre, from France
I'm quite sure Sonos has extensive research, based on better numbers, on the possible ROI of creating a UWP app, and they have rejected the project based on that research. Doesn't make them right or wrong, only time will do that, but for sure their decision was made in good faith based on numbers neither you nor I have access to. Also, because of their extensive use of these numbers, I highly doubt posting simplistic ROI scenarios is going to change their mind.
@jgatie that was something i read indeed, so Thanks for pointing this out. But we neeed to keep asking Sonos to reconsider.
As i typ this, Windows 10 is running on more than 350 million devices in 192 countries around the world. So i don't know what you call ' the Windows UWP market is not big enough' hence all the other Nice devices as the millions of Surface tablets and ofcourse the phones there is a huge market to gain! I don't know why you begrudge the huge Windows community a Nice Sonos app? It's not just for the phone! And because of the universall app for Windows, developping an App will work on all devices running it. Making an real Sonos app for universal Windows will not be that expensive. Let's say it will cost them 50.000 US dollars. if like 1000 people buy Sonos because they are app-supported, they are making extra profits. It's win-win.
I just registered, just to participatie in the poll. Now i don' t have Sonos! But i will fil my entire house and replace all equipment i now have with Sonos, as soon as they release decent Windows10 apps. In my house we all have Windows 10 phones, and als we have Windows10 surface pro tablets. All pc's run Windows10 as Well, and a few have Touchscreens. And Yes also the Xbox one and 360's but i agree with those commenting that those are not Nice controllers.

Please Sonos take a wise decission and start Development one! It's not just the Windows Phone users you please, but also the Windows10 pc users and the 'really fantastic' Surface tablet users!

Sonos has stated that they are not going to develop a UWP app. They have decided to concentrate on voice control, which relegates controller apps to a secondary and/or tertiary role. The Windows UWP market is just not big enough for Sonos to dedicate development resources towards a secondary or tertiary app.
I just registered, just to participatie in the poll. Now i don' t have Sonos! But i will fil my entire house and replace all equipment i now have with Sonos, as soon as they release decent Windows10 apps. In my house we all have Windows 10 phones, and als we have Windows10 surface pro tablets. All pc's run Windows10 as Well, and a few have Touchscreens. And Yes also the Xbox one and 360's but i agree with those commenting that those are not Nice controllers.

Please Sonos take a wise decission and start Development one! It's not just the Windows Phone users you please, but also the Windows10 pc users and the 'really fantastic' Surface tablet users!
Try this one
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/phonos-universal-preview/9nblggh4ns0x?ocid=badge

the fact that Sonos is not making a windows 10 uwp is annoying but nothing more than that. That said there are other reasons that refrain me from investing in new, more Sonos equipment but those are offtopic.

Agree - it feels a bit second hand having to use 3rd party tools to control the system, good though Zonos & Phonos are. Using the Windows desktop controller on a touch-screen device like a Surface is really clunky and as someone else pointed out, it's next to impossible on a small tablet. But then reality bites - Windows share of the 8" tablet market might be ~15% so Sonos may well be right in prioritizing other developments. But then, if they could do a single app that would meet the needs of the minority of Windows Phone users, the millions of Xbox One users and the many millions of Windows 10 users, wouldn't that be desirable? Surely controlling the end-end user experience is where Apple showed the way, and yet by having 3rd party controllers be the only option, Sonos is giving away the last mile to Windows users.
I control my Sonos System with:
The original Sonos controller, witch loses functionality with every opdate;
FTS controller on Windows 10 Mobile, witch does some functions. Not supported by Sonos;
8" Windows 10 tablet. My fingers are sometimes too big to press the right buttons on de desktop version;
22" Windows 10 desktop PC. I don't always sit at my desk.

So I would welcome the universal app.
Badge
Indeed voice control is a nice feature for controlling Sonos in the future. As dNexusb and Chris mentioned voice control will be great in the USA but outside the States it still needs lots of improvement. Also I'm still wondering how voice control will work when you play your music fairly loud or when you play an audiobook. You could even record an audio file with voice commands to control your home automation. But this is all off-topic.

Indeed I would also like to have a Windows 10 UWP controller from Sonos. Which is, due to the direction Sonos has chosen for its product development, not to be expected in the nearby future. However to overcome this there are some third-party controllers that will work nicely with your Sonos system like Phonos, FTScontroller and the one that I use currently on both my Surface Pro 3 and Lumia950, Zonos. Zonos supports Cortana for those who want voice control. All three apps can be found in the Windows Store. If it would be necessary to add a Sonos-device I can still use the existing desktop controller. So in my opinion the fact that Sonos is not making a windows 10 uwp is annoying but nothing more than that. That said there are other reasons that refrain me from investing in new, more Sonos equipment but those are offtopic.
That's the point: Sonos is not going to change their mind. Unless there is something about the market which has changed (which there isn't), why would they change their decision based on a couple postings by Windows fans? Can't you see that the time for that has far past? Do you not think they have already figured in the backlash? Sonos knew it was going to lose customers over this, if they were willing to suffer lost sales, how much sway is going to come from the very few who cling onto Sonos hoping they change their mind? It is at this point a useless endeavor, truly shouting into the wind.
I get that Sonos has made some research and made a statement about this stuff...

But "Your only solution is to switch mobile devices, or seek out an alternative product if and when one decides to support a UWP app"?

How is saying to the company making my products "I would like to have you make this thing, so I can enjoy your product more" not an option?

How are Sonos going to change there mind if we (who WOULD like a windows interface with touch) do not tell them about our wants for the products?

Fyi.: I do have both windows and android devices for my Sonos system. All I (and others) are saying are that the windows (and OSX for that mater) player are in need of a upgrade.
Chris,

Yes, I'm not a voice-control enthusiast either, but I am prepared to keep an open mind.

I have used Windows since Windows 3.0 and DOS 6.0 in the early 90’s and have installed every version of Windows since then, including some server and business editions. I currently use Windows 10, with stardock Start 10. (I still do not like the current start menu).

I have CR100/CR200 Sonos controllers. I have in the past used Android phone & tablets and more recently I have switched to iOS.

I will probably purchase MAC PC's when my Windows PC hardware needs replacing in the next few years.

All said and done I presently choose to use iOS for controlling my Sonos devices.

I do not try to stick to any one company. I tend to go with what I believe is 'best value' at the time of purchase and try to look long-term for things that suit my personal requirements. I have had to adapt to different company trends and decisions.

I have not been a fan of Windows, post Windows 7. Windows 8 was a disaster IMHO.

Android does not appear (to me) to be as user friendly iOS.

iOS is extremely restrictive in many areas and it's rather expensive and very quickly becomes out of date.

Hence I don't favour any company, but use all, to achieve my outcome.

I can't see a valid reason to dispose/replace my Sonos system because of the lack of Windows development of its controller on that one platform.

Some people need to be more adaptable here and make better choices and not cut off their nose to spite their face. I think I said that already.
Fun reading about all the people here NOT using the windows stuff talking about windows stuff...
And all the English speaking people talking about how awsome voice controll is gonna be...

As someone not living in US or a english speaking country (speaking english fine though), I can tell you that all voice controll up until now (Siri, google now, Cortana, Alexa) is utter crap outside of the US.

All we (people who DO use the windows stuff) want, is a modern, touch friendly, multi search interface on oure modern, touch friendly windows PC's :)

Unfortunately for you and others, Sonos has done the research and has decided the benefits of catering to your market do not outweigh the lack of return on investment. As stated by their rep, this was not a decision they took lightly or made in haste. Your only solution is to switch mobile devices, or seek out an alternative product if and when one decides to support a UWP app. Not what you wanted to hear, but like other very vocal, very adamant Windows supporters in this thread before you have said . . . at least you have a final answer and can make your decision. That is if you accept that answer as final. If you don't accept their announcement, there's nothing Sonos nor anyone else can do to help you and you'll just have to keep shouting into the wind.