Will Sonos support Google Cast for Audio?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

162 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Just purchased my Sonos setup and very pleased with it. Little disappointed to learn I can only cast Google music over to it though. The LG flow system has just been heavily discounted too! Looks like a good buy although maybe a little flaky and unstable.
I'm going to buy a chromecast adapter called JoyDrone and hook it up to my aux in as a temporary measure until hopefully Google Cast arrives to Sonos (fingers crossed)
Badge
Just got an iPhone 6S Plus and was very disappointed to see that i can't control Sonos's volume from the iPhone's lock screen like I could on Android. Google Play Music works fine via the iPhone's lock screen. So I thought, "no problem, I can cast from the Google Music app." Unfortunately, I can't do that either!

I'm really bummed out. I love my Sonos (slowly accumulated a Play 3 and 2 Play 1s, had the 5 or a ConnectAmp on my Christmas list) so I don't know whether to return the iPhone for a Note 5 or hope that Sonos will support Google Cast before too long. And if they don't, have to look into selling the Sonos. Why does it have to be so hard?
Badge
Just got an iPhone 6S Plus and was very disappointed to see that i can't control Sonos's volume from the iPhone's lock screen like I could on Android. Google Play Music works fine via the iPhone's lock screen. So I thought, "no problem, I can cast from the Google Music app." Unfortunately, I can't do that either!

I'm really bummed out. I love my Sonos (slowly accumulated a Play 3 and 2 Play 1s, had the 5 or a ConnectAmp on my Christmas list) so I don't know whether to return the iPhone for a Note 5 or hope that Sonos will support Google Cast before too long. And if they don't, have to look into selling the Sonos.

Why does it have to be so hard?
Even if Sonos doesn't add Google Cast support, Google will be announcing their new "Hendrix" audio casting gadget tomorrow, which should be inexpensive, and will plug into any Sonos device with an aux in.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Just bought the Motorola Moto Stream for my line in connection, similar to the hendrix I imagine and very pretty / unique. Totally solved my podcast listening, YouTube and BBC streaming. Would definitely recommend as we await any possible sync with Google cast.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Thanks for the info wkel24 !
Isn't the Moto Stream just another Bluetooth receiver? Not a real contender vs casting, too many issues...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Isn't the Moto Stream just another Bluetooth receiver? Not a real contender vs casting, too many issues...
It's NFC connected and Bluetooth. Works really well, sounds good and seamless with the line in auto settings.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Yes very interesting developments with Google at the moment. Fingers crossed and hoping Sonos will be very much involved with them going forward
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We don't know where Sonos is on Google Cast. We don't know if they are able to integrate it into existing Sonos software or will require new device. Heck we don't even know if they are truly working on it has just been rumors.

The new google cast receiver may be finding a home though hooked to my current Play:5. So then for me its kinda done!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I did go ahead and purchase one of the $35 Chromecast Audio devices. That way I will hook it to my Play:5 and therefore have full Chromecast ability. Chromecast functions in much the same way as Sonos pulling music so I'm anxious to see how it does. As those who have seen me post I absolutely hate Airplay, so this should be a good alternative (although I rarely have used my airplay on Sonos).

Only disadvantage of the Chromecast Audio device vs. integration is of course with integration you could chose each speaker in your system individually from the google compatible apps. With the audio device I have to go in Sonos app to chose which speakers get the chromecast stream. Not a big deal and then lets me control everything again in Sonos app. which I do prefer.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You act like the aux is a trick or hack. It's neither. It is what it is designed for.

You keep saying YouTube. Most YouTube content is available on soundcloud which is freely available on sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
It actually doesn't bother me to turn on the phone to adjust volume. If it did I would just use my Logitech Harmony remote to adjust the volume or my Apple Watch.

I don't find it very kluge when all I have to do is go in the Sonos app and pick which speakers I want to play Google Cast.

I haven't explored Soundcloud in Sonos that much.... maybe you have. I have seen others reporting it has very much the same content as YouTube (ok maybe not the newest). I personally use my desktop computer if I need to play YouTube to Sonos (which has a Sonos connect in between the computer and speakers - giving me full computer sound throughout my sonos system and allowing my desktop speaker system to be Sonos speakers - another very good dual purpose method and no more expensive then the Play:3 I used to have in my office).
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I too am interested to see how Chromecast Audio works, particularly in a multi-room environment. They say that this capability will be available in the future, but I have not seen an ETA.

As it is now, I see Chromecast Audio as more direct alternative to an an AirPlay system than a Sonos system. The capabilities that the forthcoming Chromecast app supports will be the key to making it a true Sonos competitor.

That being said, people should keep in mind that Chromecast Audio is far from "wireless". To cobble together even just a stereo pair that is most similar to a Sonos pair of Play1/3/5, you would need...

Powered speakers
Chromecast Audio
Power running to Chromecast Audio device
Power running to powered speakers
And something I've not seen mentioned...speaker wire connecting the 2 speakers

If you go the route of using an amplifier, even more wiring is required. And, grabbing 1 of the speakers to move to a different room or bring outside and plug in is certainly not nearly as convenient.

Further, adding a sub to a Chromecast Audio setup would add more wiring, require outputs from the powered speakers, or require an external amp.

I am not trading in my Sonos system.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Chris, it will be interesting to see how the Google device works in your setup. I had used a bluetooth device on a Play:5 to stream music. I ran into an issue which only seems likely to be worse with the Google device.

When I go out, I often just turn off the speaker using the power switch on the speaker. The problem was that the bluetooth adaptor was live, so my phone was still sending the music to it. The online site only stopped sending songs when i got out of bluetooth range. It is my understanding that the Google device runs independent of the phone once launched. So if I launch Spotify from my phone using the cast function, and then turn off the speaker, it sounds like Spotify will just continue to send music to the Google device. It could be hours or even days playing with no one listening.

I realize I'm not directly paying for the extra streaming. But obviously any cost to Spotify will eventually be passed onto the listeners. I can see the streaming services only playing for an hour or so and then requiring a positive response that someone is there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes if you were listening to Spotify radio I assume it would just keep going. I will let you know what I find when I get it. Would be nice if a setting in the Google audio device to disconnect overnight.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
This is not really an accurate comparison. It only applies if you are using Google's own Chromecast Audio dongle, which is basically comparable to the Sonos CONNECT (at a fraction of a price).

My entire comparison was about Chromecast Audio dongle...I should have added the word "dongle" to my 1st sentence. But we are in agreement overall, with 1 exception...

You state "which is basically comparable to the Sonos CONNECT (at a fraction of a price)"...I think the missing piece is we don't yet understand the implementation and efficiency of the new Chromecast App for multi-room systems. This could make/break the experience.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I will do a review of the single when I get it. Should receive next week.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Interesting article about CCA and Spotify - it seems that you will need one of the premium subscriptions in order to be able to cast via CCA.

http://www.androidcentral.com/googles-deal-spotify-start-unfortunate-new-chapter?utm_medium=slider&utm_campaign=navigation&utm_source=ac
Userlevel 1
Badge
http://www.androidcentral.com/go-wireless-these-google-cast-enabled-speakers
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Google Cast does help with bridging that gap between home and away. Lets hope Sonos can get it running natively. I'm assuming you have no playbar or Sonos unit with input to feed google cast into your system currently.
It's possible that Sonos' hands are tied. They appear to have a great relationship with Google, and allow the Google Music app to cast to Sonos devices. They are also improving relations with Apple and Amazon, implementing Apple Music and Amazon Prime Music, neither of which support Google Cast, and probably never will.

How does Sonos go about adding native support for Google Cast without adding support for (the vastly inferior) AirPlay and risk offending Apple? Would Apple and Amazon pull their support if Sonos appeared to favor Google?

Not merely a technical challenge, I think.
I expect to see that happen if Google does a good job of the multi room upgrade promised before end of 2015. If it does, and if audio streaming it delivers is close to being as stable as that on Sonos net, Connect pricing is blown out of the water, and then that becomes domino number one. Reducing price to 2 digit levels may be vital for not just Connect sales but for sales of the entire product line.

However, there are those two pretty significant "ifs".
Still no answer from sonos :(

Sonos seldom comments on future products or features.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For the record - Sonos has never mentioned adding Chromecast audio support. We have speculated that it will be the service for them to add that makes the most sense (and they do need to add some type of casting).

Take that as good or bad but Sonos has never made mention of it. Unlike those like Denon HEOS who announced they were adding ... to only go a year and then tell their buyers that they now were not doing it.

Exactly the kind of thing Sonos tries to avoid - making any false promises.

If or When Sonos does announce a casting ability ... it will happen! And would mean they have confirmed it will work and would be well in development before they would make any mention of it.