Answered

Why is Sonos discontinuing support for iOS devices?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Good grief people!!!

Housing your music collection on a PC or Mac DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN ONLY PLAY MUSIC USING THE PC OR MAC!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
If you gave away the CDs, does that leave you in breach of copyright if you are still playing the music? I’m not sure what the laws are in your country but it may be worth checking!

But, if you have music ripped onto iTunes, surely that means they are stored on a computer disc and can therefore be played - ie controlled and accessed - from the app on your iPhone.
Userlevel 2
I have read all the threads. But the fact that there are all sorts of baroque workarounds, such as uploading to the cloud my entire music collection, which consists of literally a couple of thousand CDs that I ripped to iTunes and then donated (many of which are no longer available, including my father's huge jazz collection), as well as hundreds of hours of unreleased material from my music career, or relying on streaming services that dont have most of what I own, or buying a desktop Mac and then being only able to play music from my office, or buying an Android device or a NAS device, or anything else, doesn't change the fact that I bought several sets of pricey speakers to play the music on my iPad and iPhone, and now those speakers have announced they won't do the one thing I bought them for.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
This is bull.... it's like telling me that the expensive DVD player I bought has now decided it won’t play my dvds, and I have to start streaming all my movies. I have literally several thousands of hours of music on iPhone and iPad. Much of which is not available on streaming services even if I wanted to pay to subscribe to music I already own, and I don’t have an IMac. You sold me a very expensive set of speakers for my music collection, and then decide I can’t use them.

I don’t think that’s a very accurate analogy.

But anyway: Have you read any of the other threads on this topic? So many solutions available: a Google Play Music account, an Android device, or an NAS device for example.
This is bull.... it's like telling me that the expensive DVD player I bought has now decided it won’t play my dvds, and I have to start streaming all my movies. I have literally several thousands of hours of music on iPhone and iPad. Much of which is not available on streaming services even if I wanted to pay to subscribe to music I already own, and I don’t have an IMac. You sold me a very expensive set of speakers for my music collection, and then decide I can’t use them.

Nobody is forcing you to purchase a streaming service. You can easily play your library from a PC/Mac, Plex, an NAS, or a free Google Play Music account. And if Sonos were really trying to force you to pay for a streaming service instead of being on the bad side of an Apple iOS update, it would be highly ironic because A. They don't make any income from services, and B. They kept the ability to play tracks on Android devices.
You apparently haven't read the thread that melvimbe linked to, in which there is a free solution offered, amongst others.
Userlevel 2
In fact, here is the FAQ on how to do so.

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257

Makes life much better, IMHO, and saves on battery power on the iOS device. I used to have it connected to my MacBook Pro, but have subsequently moved it to an NAS.
Setting up Sonos to work with your iMac is a one time thing. You set it up, it will then work on all of your speakers.
Userlevel 1
That feature was huge. Yes - all my music is storied on iPad and iPhones. As well have stored music on my iMac but have not been able to get the app for the iMac to work with my Sonos One in the bedroom - not my two Sonos Playbars.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
They are NOT ending support for iOS devices.

They are removing a feature - playing from "on this device"

Big difference.
This announcement thread should answer your questions about why the change is occurring.
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Kind of.. Is all your music on your ipad? Where is your music physically stored?