Answered

Why is Sonos discontinuing support for iOS devices?

Userlevel 1
Disappointed when I received this message when starting the app to play from my iPad. Not interested in having to pay for a service to stream from my music collection. What’s driving this decision? Note - creating an incentive for me to search for another music solution in my home. Can’t begin to describe how unhappy I am. Have been so happy with Sonos and bragged about the system to friends. That sounds like I’ll have to do a 180. Any one else feeling the same?
icon

Best answer by melvimbe 17 June 2019, 19:18

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Userlevel 2
This is bull.... it's like telling me that the expensive DVD player I bought has now decided it won’t play my dvds, and I have to start streaming all my movies. I have literally several thousands of hours of music on iPhone and iPad. Much of which is not available on streaming services even if I wanted to pay to subscribe to music I already own, and I don’t have an IMac. You sold me a very expensive set of speakers for my music collection, and then decide I can’t use them.
Userlevel 2
I have read all the threads. But the fact that there are all sorts of baroque workarounds, such as uploading to the cloud my entire music collection, which consists of literally a couple of thousand CDs that I ripped to iTunes and then donated (many of which are no longer available, including my father's huge jazz collection), as well as hundreds of hours of unreleased material from my music career, or relying on streaming services that dont have most of what I own, or buying a desktop Mac and then being only able to play music from my office, or buying an Android device or a NAS device, or anything else, doesn't change the fact that I bought several sets of pricey speakers to play the music on my iPad and iPhone, and now those speakers have announced they won't do the one thing I bought them for.
Each new Sonos update strikes fear of losing support. Their products are very expensive, and when they limit or prohibit use through updates is sickening. When they work properly they are about the best on the market.
But, people should be aware that, one day, the large investment they made in Sonos products may become a total waste of money.

I think this depends on your point of view. If you're the type of person who doesn't want things to change, then Sonos might not be the best solution for you. If you want to be able to adopt and change as newer tech is available, then Sonos can be a very great option.

As @nik9669a pointed out, when new features became popular and available, competitors like Bose opted to shut down their current line of smart speakers and start a new one. That would have made people who don't want the new features happy as it would preserve there speakers longer....until Bose drops support anyway and it no longer works with the current smart phones. It made many customers upset since they now saw their current investment as outdated and useless.

On the other hand Sonos has gone from a closed system that didn't even have smart phone apps, to incorporating apps, streaming services, voice control, TV audio, etc, while dropping very little products and features from the line. While this surely has bothered those who wanted nothing to change, it's a huge blessing for those who want the more current features without having to buy everything new.

For me personally, I almost always want the new features, and am glad that i can still use the connect:amp I bought about 8 years ago along with speakers I bought last Christmas. Absolutely money well spent.
Userlevel 1
That feature was huge. Yes - all my music is storied on iPad and iPhones. As well have stored music on my iMac but have not been able to get the app for the iMac to work with my Sonos One in the bedroom - not my two Sonos Playbars.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I bought these speakers to play music off my ipad and phone .
also because it was controlled by my ipad and phone .

I thought this equipment was awesome when I first got it .
And My job is working as a Musician and sound Tech .
I work with digital equipment almost everyday .

My opinion is that every time there is an upgrade things get worse instead of better .
There should be an option that lets you decide whether you want to upgrade or not and
it should be explained what you would gain and what you would lose by upgrading.
In other words you should have a choice .

I'm going to work around this by putting a wireless Mirroring dongle on my TV.
This will enable me to use my speakers as I wanted to in the first place .
But I will still have to purchase new phones in the future just to turn the ---- system on .
Need a new computer as well and will be taking a hard look at other options besides apple
for phones pads and computers .

But it is kind of funny that my old series 1 Ipad will still operate pretty much all the digital mixing consoles out there .
Yet I can't operate my home speaker system with it .

I have other rants on here as well .
Normally I hate typing or posting on anything but this really bothers me.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Do you work for sonos ?😉

Now one way or another they are going to have to spend more money to do so .

No, I don’t work for Sonos. When I was adding to my original set of speakers I had a lot of problems (suprise:Wi-fi!) and people on this community forum gave me a lot of helpful advice. Where I can, I’m now repaying that service.

For example, I’ll correct statements that I think are wrong.

There are are several options that have been put forward here and on other threads INCLUDING NO-COST solutions for those prepared to make small changes to the way they play their music.

But you don’t want to know so I’ll say no more.

Bye.
Each new Sonos update strikes fear of losing support. Their products are very expensive, and when they limit or prohibit use through updates is sickening. When they work properly they are about the best on the market.
But, people should be aware that, one day, the large investment they made in Sonos products may become a total waste of money.

This announcement thread should answer your questions about why the change is occurring.Sorry but no, it doesn't really answer anything. All it tells me is that Sonos can't be bothered doing the hard work of making their app useable for a large number of people and that they have been caught out by Apple.

You made a lot of assumptions/generalities with that statement?

"Can't be bothered" - The were actually working trying to fix the issue for a year prior to this decision.

"doing the hard work " - So you're assuming that hard work can eventually fix the issue?

"large number of people" - In total numbers? Percentage of Sonos users? Do you know what either of these numbers are?

"been caught out by Apple" - What does that mean?

But that is not our problem - it's Sonos's problem.

It's both. Sonos has to deal with bad customer PR and such while you have to deal wiith finding another way to get your music.

I'm selling my speakers for whatever I can get. Missold and a total waste of money. Probably better off with 4 Sony bluetooth speakers for the money. The sound is not as good but you can play whatever you feel like from your phone (including phonecalls, videos from the phone, etc., which Sonos never could). Pathetic for a supposedly premium product. Think about it this way, Sonos,if you're spending half your time explaining what customers need to do to get your product to work, you messed up.

How do you know Sonos is spending half the time explaining things to customers?
Userlevel 2
Badge
Mine is turned off if you don't update you can't access any of your controls
like room settings etc .
But I think you would know that as you seem to be on here everyday .

Do you work for sonos ?😉

I think the point is a lot of people bought this equipment to play there music on their
iphones and ipads .
This feature is what attracted them to the product in the first place .
Now one way or another they are going to have to spend more money to do so .

I think if people want stuff like Alexa and all that other robot crap maybe they should pay extra
that would be there choice .
Now watch the feathers fly .
I've said my piece it's my opinion I'm not going to argue with anyone .
So save your breath .
Sonos is going to do whatever they want they already have our money .
Don't know why I wasted this much of my time .
Peace out

Are you saying you can set up a “Music Library” and select music from an app on your iPhone? Wow! That would be useful! 😀

Why yes. And it works so well, it's almost as if that was the original design.
This announcement thread should answer your questions about why the change is occurring.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm not happy with apple either if I didn't need there equipment for work
I would not own any of it .
Sonos uses there equipment as a controller and recommends using apple air 2
Their stated reason for making this change is because apple ios is unreliable .
I think they are in the same camp .
again just my opinion .

I loved this stuff for the first few years I had it
bought it because of it ease of use and ios friendly .
now definitely out as I have ranted enough to last me till the next decade
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
They are NOT ending support for iOS devices.

They are removing a feature - playing from "on this device"

Big difference.
Thank you very much!

A little bit of hyperbole there. At last count, over 93% of all Sonos usage is from internet sources. Of the ~7% of local library usage, certainly a small fraction is from the device itself, considering Sonos was originally designed for music libraries stored on a PC/Mac or NAS. So no, for the vast majority of users, elimination of this one function does not render their Sonos a "total waste of money", and for the users who do use this function, there are several options that give the same functionality with none of the hassles seen for the last year.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
You could switch to Bose: Surely they wouldn’t drop a whole hardware range to introduce some new features 😜
I think apple have told sonos to pull the plug on this facility to get people to sign up to apple air play etc. All I know is I now have a very expensive radio . THE OINLY REASON I purchased all of the kit in my house was the fact that I could play my own music free of charge without accessing anything but the iPhone in my hand. I feel cheated
I think apple have told sonos to pull the plug on this facility to get people to sign up to apple air play etc. All I know is I now have a very expensive radio . THE OINLY REASON I purchased all of the kit in my house was the fact that I could play my own music free of charge without accessing anything but the iPhone in my hand. I feel cheated

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by 'accessing', but if you store your music on a computer, NAS (which could simply be a thumb drive connected to your router) , or Google's free music storage service, then you would be able to control all of that from the iphone in your hand. Of course, airplay would also be fully controllable from the iPhone as well. Perhaps 'accessing' means that you just want your music files on your iphone and nothing else will be acceptable. In that case, yea, airplay is the only current way to do that with an iPhone.

Um, those notifications already blast through my Sonos speakers. If you're talking about the stuff I hear via Pandora, Spotify, etc.

But I'm willing to admit my own ignorance. Which use-cases am I missing? Trust me, I'd love to be proven wrong. I don't like the idea of investing a lot of money in something and throwing it out. But so far, I'm a little more convinced by posters here who make the point that if the work-arounds take that much effort to explain, there must be something wrong with the system itself.

chicks is talking about text message alerts, update alerts, phone ringing, etc. that will play on a Bluetooth speaker because Bluetooth is just an extension of the phone's audio.

As to missing use cases, when you store your music on a PC/Mac/NAS, or upload to Google Play Music, there are a number of benefits:

1. Every controller you use can access all the music.
  2. You can use the music in Sonos playlists and alarms.
  3. Your phone's battery isn't drained when playing music.
  4. Your phone can leave the area and the music keeps playing.
  5. Imports all your iTunes playlists.
In the case of the free Google Play Music solution, there are additional benefits:

1. You can access the music from the Google Play Music app from anywhere, so you can free up space on your phone.
  2. Other household members can get a free account, and their account will appear separate from others on the Sonos app.
I don’t want to do anything else. What was wrong with the way it was. I take my music to my friends houses and play mixed playlists and vice versa. I have over 2,500 songs in my phone and about 40 different playlists. I don’t need AirPlay / Apple Music/ a NAS. I would like to know, without anyone throwing alternatives at me, as to why sonos as a company cannot rectify something that has ‘ become unreliable ‘ Reliable. Look at the people you are upsetting. This is why it makes me think there are darker forces at work. Sonos should support the people that have invested in them ( I’ve got £1,700.00s worth of the old stuff) and now I feel duped. Perhaps little Sonos is buckling under the weight of the Big Apple. So can someone from sonos give me the real answer to my question? or have I already answered it for myself🙁
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
There should be an option that lets you decide whether you want to upgrade or not and
it should be explained what you would gain .

Can’t you just turn Off Automatic Updates?
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
If you gave away the CDs, does that leave you in breach of copyright if you are still playing the music? I’m not sure what the laws are in your country but it may be worth checking!

But, if you have music ripped onto iTunes, surely that means they are stored on a computer disc and can therefore be played - ie controlled and accessed - from the app on your iPhone.
Good grief people!!!

Housing your music collection on a PC or Mac DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN ONLY PLAY MUSIC USING THE PC OR MAC!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Good grief people!!!

Housing your music collection on a PC or Mac DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN ONLY PLAY MUSIC USING THE PC OR MAC!!!!

Are you saying you can set up a “Music Library” and select music from an app on your iPhone? Wow! That would be useful! 😀
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Mine is turned off if you don't update you can't access any of your controls
like room settings etc .
But I think you would know that as you seem to be on here everyday .

Do you work for sonos ?😉

Not true. Controls are lost when the speakers are updated and the controller isn't or vice-versa. You need to ensure your mobile device doesn't automatically update as well - that isn't a Sonos setting as I'm sure you know.

Also. The childish "Do you work for Sonos"? No, he doesn't. Sonos employees are indicated as such under their name. Just because somebody challenge;enges your post doesn't mean they are a paid shill.