Answered

Why is Sonos discontinuing support for iOS devices?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

Good luck with your replacement product. I'm sure you will be quite happy with Bluetooth speakers.
Badge
Good luck with your replacement product. I'm sure you will be quite happy with Bluetooth speakers.

I love that you felt you had to say this. How anyone can have this kind of allegiance to a corporation beats me.
I have an Android phone and so even if I played music from my phone I would be unaffected by the recent removal of 'on this iPhone'..

So I don't know if Airplay is seamless, just that it is Apple's method for doing what you want to do.

Unlike Bluetooth, Airplay 2 has multiroom capability. There is plenty of info on using Airplay with Sonos on the Sonos website.

This is bull.... it's like telling me that the expensive DVD player I bought has now decided it won’t play my dvds, and I have to start streaming all my movies. I have literally several thousands of hours of music on iPhone and iPad. Much of which is not available on streaming services even if I wanted to pay to subscribe to music I already own, and I don’t have an IMac. You sold me a very expensive set of speakers for my music collection, and then decide I can’t use them.

Nobody is forcing you to purchase a streaming service. You can easily play your library from a PC/Mac, Plex, an NAS, or a free Google Play Music account. And if Sonos were really trying to force you to pay for a streaming service instead of being on the bad side of an Apple iOS update, it would be highly ironic because A. They don't make any income from services, and B. They kept the ability to play tracks on Android devices.

a garbage $50 cd deck for a car can stream from an iphone but a premium audio company can’t figure it out? LOL Sonos are sellouts and are getting cut backs from the people that cave in and pay for a premium service.

Good luck with your replacement product. I'm sure you will be quite happy with Bluetooth speakers.I love that you felt you had to say this. How anyone can have this kind of allegiance to a corporation beats me.

What else am I supposed to say? You've made your mind up that Sonos is not for you and stated you will buy Sony Bluetooth speakers. There are horses for courses, and Sonos is apparently not the horse for your course any more. Great decision. I wish you good luck!
Darker forces? A good principle for life: the conspiracy theory is almost always wrong, the simple cockup theory almost invariably right.

Is there any hope of a sense of perspective on this thread?
@gary larden Sonos announced the change here.

The way this feature was originally designed has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS, and in the coming months, this feature will no longer be available in the Sonos app.

This post by another Sonos employee mentions that it was a tough decision and that they are aware of how it impacts customers.

I don't think you're going to get a much more detailed answer then that since doing so could be throwing Apple under the bus, etc. It's also worth noting that the unreliability began around a year ago when airplay came along. Sonos has been attempting to resolve the issue for a year.

Cut backs?  :thinking:

It's also worth noting that Sonos' competitor Bluesound removed their "On this device" feature around 10 months ago, shortly after Airplay 2 arrived.

a garbage $50 cd deck for a car can stream from an iphone but a premium audio company can’t figure it out? LOL Sonos are sellouts and are getting cut backs from the people that cave in and pay for a premium service.

Is the garbage CD deck your refering to using bluetooth, aux connection, airplay, or some proprietary WiFI connection?

You apparently haven't read the thread that melvimbe linked to, in which there is a free solution offered, amongst others.
This is bull.... it's like telling me that the expensive DVD player I bought has now decided it won’t play my dvds, and I have to start streaming all my movies. I have literally several thousands of hours of music on iPhone and iPad. Much of which is not available on streaming services even if I wanted to pay to subscribe to music I already own, and I don’t have an IMac. You sold me a very expensive set of speakers for my music collection, and then decide I can’t use them.

Nobody is forcing you to purchase a streaming service. You can easily play your library from a PC/Mac, Plex, an NAS, or a free Google Play Music account. And if Sonos were really trying to force you to pay for a streaming service instead of being on the bad side of an Apple iOS update, it would be highly ironic because A. They don't make any income from services, and B. They kept the ability to play tracks on Android devices.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I don’t think that’s a very accurate analogy.

But anyway: Have you read any of the other threads on this topic? So many solutions available: a Google Play Music account, an Android device, or an NAS device for example.