We want SONOS App dark mode back!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

163 replies

Userlevel 2
My 4 Ipads are mounted on walls and at night they light the rooms, making it impossible to sleep in the same room when the App is open. Please give us a background option.
Userlevel 1
Another vote for 'Back to Black'...
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
It's a shame when you've spent nigh on £2k on audio gear it can all be ruined at the flick of an update. Tried going back to 7.4 but lose a lot of setting options.

I wonder if us Android users chuck enought money at the the Sonospad developer he could do an Android version?.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
TBH, I can tolerate the fact that there’s no new features and they’re harder to find, if only it wasn’t so butt ugly! Bring back the black!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Don't Sonos take any notice? I haven't found a single comment that likes the new app, and even accounting for reporting bias (unhappy people complain more), that has to mean something. It's gone from hero to zero in one update.

I like the new app. It logically arranges things instead of the mish mash approach ofnthe previous incarnation. Much easier to use.

Maybe I am a very strange and oddly behaved Sonos user in that I listen to music instead of exercising my overblown sense of entitlement that the world should conform to my ideals about a screen and how dare companies not bend to my will.

Now then, if you whined and whinged about the behaviour of the queue, aka something sensible to critique, then your world would be a much happier place that much quicker. Or do you think the queue behaviour is perfect for you?

Update, just fine, problems with the queue, still there.
Userlevel 3
I agree!
Userlevel 2
Please let me “UPDATE” to the previous version. This is just awful.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Don't Sonos take any notice? I haven't found a single comment that likes the new app, and even accounting for reporting bias (unhappy people complain more), that has to mean something. It's gone from hero to zero in one update.
I am not a fan of the newest Sonos app for iPhone. In its efforts to simplify things, they’ve done the opposite. My biggest gripe is the bright white eye sore background. It has the same look as current iTunes app, which I also hate. Most album art looks terrible against it. Using the app at night is murder on my eyes. PLEASE make a dark mode ASAP. Good thing is that for the years I’ve been a Sonos customer, they’ve always listened to their customers. I have no doubt they’ll do the right thing. They always do.
The bright background on new SONOS app release is not an improvement.
It's too bright in a dark room, intrusive, hard too see in a light room, and it eats my battery.
Don't like it.

Users speak up. If enough people ask, maybe the app developer will listen.

Brighter is not better.
Please give us back the dark background theme.
I also prefer the black background. White is too bright.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
I absolutely hate the new interface. The dark one was much more appropriate when one is using SOnus in a party or diner party - or just a dinner at home. I loved Sonus for the old interface, but if this doesn’t change, I am going to sell all of my Sonus units on eBay and move to a system with a better interface. Alexa et al may not have such good sound, but the UI is so much more important. What do you all recommend?

You mentioned that here

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/show-some-courage-sonos-withdraw-the-new-app-6791584?postid=16154138

Oh, and here

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/the-new-ui-user-interface-for-ios-released-in-10-2017-is-a-step-backward-6791513?postid=16154137

You might want to invest in some Sonos gear, i've heard it's pretty good.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
The white is only beginning of the abomination of this new roll out. Bring back list view.

If you're on iOS: Sonopad!
I'm starting to feel like a salesman, but trust me, I'm not ?
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I don't currently use the Sonos phone app but I remember the artwork overlay from when I did and I have to agree that was a nice feature. Does Sonopad do that in their app?

Not as fancy as Sonos 7, Sonopad shows it more like on the CR200 remote, but of course larger screen and higher resolution. Still, way better than Sonos 8 and with nice reflection effect.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
To all who suggested to get Sonopad .. Thank You! I love it only 1 minute in.

Did you already noticed that when browsing through a compilation album, Sonopad actually shows the artist next to each track where the Sonos app lets you guessing who the artist is? Love this function! Something I was always missing in the Sonos app.

Interesting to see that this one guy who developed and wrote Sonopad achieved to create a better Sonos interface than the whole Sonos software team combined! Shame on you Sonos!
I absolutely hate the new interface. The dark one was much more appropriate when one is using SOnus in a party or diner party - or just a dinner at home. I loved Sonus for the old interface, but if this doesn’t change, I am going to sell all of my Sonus units on eBay and move to a system with a better interface. Alexa et al may not have such good sound, but the UI is so much more important. What do you all recommend?
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
The white is only beginning of the abomination of this new roll out. Bring back list view.
I don't currently use the Sonos phone app but I remember the artwork overlay from when I did and I have to agree that was a nice feature. Does Sonopad do that in their app?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Also, if SONOS is listening to their customers and decide to bring back the darker theme, please also bring back the very cool artwork overlay as well (the image of the artwork of the current song playing as a blurred background under the entire app interface). This was such a nice and tastefully done feature. It showed that SONOS (and their app) is all about the music and appreciated the artwork that so many of us make sure is in tact for every song, even if we ripped it from a CD 10 years ago.

Everyone who looked at the music playing (from my iPad on my fridge) said, 'Wow, what app is that? That looks very cool'. And, indeed, it was. Dark, slightly transparent, sleek, cool with tasteful and subtle design. I do wish developers would put design and personality back into their apps. Making everything white, replacing icons with words and making everything look cold and sterile does not make the app attractive or easier to use. Quite the opposite is true, actually.

Again, just because Apple does the boring white thing with zero personality doesn't mean other developers should follow. Apple does many things right, but their recent interface and UI designs are not among them.
Userlevel 1
As an 82 year old techie I can quickly grasp the nuances of most apps. However, the latest iteration of the Sonos app. appears to obey Parkinson's First Law of Economics : Every improvement is a deterioration. The new Sonos thing is far too bright, a real pain to navigate and often appears to have a life of it's own. At least give us a choice of background colour and I'll struggle along with the rest.
Please put it back the way it was until you come up with a truly funtional upgrade. The white background is really annoying.
I AGREE too. SONOS please bring back BLACK UI colour option to iOS app. Give us the option of both colours or more! White is to bright and bad for eyes at night !
Userlevel 2
Just wanted to add to the list of users that hate the white colour. Along with a number of other annoyances with he new interface. Just doesn't seem either as quick to change rooms or as intuitive to use.
😞
Userlevel 3
agree with everyone here, as well as the comments about scrolling left to right. Unintuitive, and a huge pain in the ass. And I would add that now just using the app makes me frustrated to the point that I no longer even want to try switching stations because it's such a headache. I love to sit and enjoy a bourbon and read and listen to music. Good luck trying to switch stations or playlists with 55 year old eyes and a healthy buzz with this shitshow of an app. Everything about this upgrade is a miserable failure.
The previous app was much better. Background, general navigation and room switching have all taken a big step backwards. Do your designers actually use the app? Sonos hardware is too good for you UI to be this bad. Please consider rolling back to the previous app until you can launch a real upgrade.