Volume normalization

Show first post

142 replies

To be clear, I’m only asking for normalization WITHIN one app: Spotify. It’s silly that my crappy Bluetooth headphones can normalize the volume between, for example, “I Drove All Night” by Cyndi Lauper and “Sledgehammer” by Fifth Harmony (two songs with vastly different gain and peaks) but Sonos speakers can’t...

I only use Spotify via Sonos speakers, using the native app and I echo all the why nots.

Actually, the quoted bit as to how well this seems to work for headphones is news to me, and almost seems magical. Though this is not a reason for Sonos to continue to not have it!

Bumping this to ask the question: given the above, normalisation by Spotify should work well if the phone is wired to Line in jacks on Sonos. 

Does it?

Bumping this to ask the question: given the above, normalisation by Spotify should work well if the phone is wired to Line in jacks on Sonos. 

Does it?

Normalisation in the Spotify native app should work, so long as the audio is rendered by that app, whether output via the headphone jack or over AirPlay. (Casting to Sonos players is different.) 

Does it?

Normalisation in the Spotify native app should work, so long as the audio is rendered by that app, whether output via the headphone jack or over AirPlay. (Casting to Sonos players is different.) 

My question is to the implementation by Spotify in that case and whether it truly does the job well. I could test via line in one of these days since I don't have AirPlay, this is just the lazy way of finding out!

If it does, I will have to consider adding a phone as a line in source on a permanent basis.

Yes ridiculous that this option is not present{..}

Thanks for your tips kaosnews. I presume this works only with local libraries and not with any major streaming services? Or am I wrong thinking so?

Tschus 

So, I don’t think actual normalization is needed so much as a gain setting for each input.  Is this an option that I’m missing?  It’d be simple to implement.  Plex plays MUCH quieter than Spotify.  If I could adjust the gain of either, it would at least solve that problem.

The normalization works indeed on local libraries [...]

You are what I call a power user man...I love you :D

They should hire people like you lol

Not trying to promote Logitech Media Server :) but there are some more nice feature:

• you can enable ‘Don’t stop the Music’ feature. As soon as you approach the end of the currently queued up music, it will try to add some matching music to keep the party going. You can use it on your local library but also Spotify or Deezer
  • Excellent mobile web interface

Lot more… found this post today with some pros/cons: https://en.community.sonos.com/smart-home-integrations-229108/logitech-media-server-3rd-party-addition-for-sonos-devices-6835500

volume normalization is definitively on top of my wish list. why not at least make this work for integrations that internally already support this like spotify does? at least for me that would already do the trick.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GuyADye 

Please check this thread for some answers:

How many requests do we need for Sonos to give priority to this?

If Sonos isn’t interested, maybe I should reconsider.....

It's on the music services to integrate volume normalization which might not be a possibility on third party platforms like Sonos, due to technical or legal restrictions.
Userlevel 2

“It's on the music services to integrate volume normalization....”

Is that true Smilja? Idk how Spotify and Sonos work together.

I second all of the said above.
Couldn’t believe it that it isn’t a thing yet on Sonos Devices...

This war 3 years ago! I spoke to live chat today and got the exact same reply. It doesn’t seem like there is any interest from the Sonos team in implementing this feature. All we get is the same generic semi automated reply.

Is there any other similar to Sonos in features make that offers this? It would be a big selling point if it did…

I agree that doing this would be far more useful than faffing around with the red herring of Hi Res audio, but I don't think any other make offers this either; it is not that easy to implement for music from streaming services, I suspect. 

Spotify offers this for music played on the phone, and it is then available on Sonos if the phone audio is sent to Sonos via bluetooth; but that is a clunky way when Spotify connect can move the music stream to Sonos - but via that mode, normalisation is lost.

Userlevel 2
Thanks AGH 🙂

Or perhaps how difficult it might be. 

Apple has already done the work.  Volume normalization is built in to iTunes and Apple Music.  But it doesn’t work on Sonos.  I’m not an expert, but it sounds like the heavy lifting is already done.  

There used to be a FAQ where Sonos said they take note of the iTunNorm tag from iTunes. That FAQ, which also dealt with ReplayGain, has evidently been pulled.

Since I won’t let iTunes infest my PC I’ve never tested iTunNorm, but ReplayGain does work, after a fashion.

I have to wonder if there isn’t enough memory available on older speakers to implement something like this.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

So I have updated all my Sonos to S2. Is volume normalization available for my local music library? I don't so streaming services so I just need it for my library.

I gave up and bought a rack mount compressor/limiter that my Sonos Connect outputs through via line level RCAs:

BEHRINGER SPL3220 

Things you have to do to maintain marital harmony…

Ar least it has a bypass feature for when I want full dynamic range. 

Sonos needs volume normalization. Even services that have it such as Spotify pandora and Apple Music are not normalized when playing on Sonos.

I too would like to see this feature added.  Every so often a commercial comes in 50% louder than all the others.  Didn’t the FCC stop this once?  I would gladly like a feature that could be turned off for high dynamic music listening and on for watching TV or jumping between inputs.

How many requests do we need for Sonos to give priority to this?

There are, what, five million Sonos users. 1% of that would be 50k users. I don’t see 50k requests on this forum, or even 50.

Not really an answer to my question but thanks for your insight. Let’s assume your numbers are accurate, are there features that reach anywhere close to 50k requests?

I too think this miss is of a feature that would be a far more important contributor to the quality of the listening experience, than that achieved by all the pandering to the Hi Res nonsense that Sonos also has now started doing.

I don’t expect, like most companies, it is a ‘voting’ decision. I would assume that Product Managers weigh many various factors, but likely the most important one would be how a feature impacts sales. Or what management wants, which is likely much the same thing. Not so much ‘how do we make people who already purchased happy’, but more ‘what will increase sales’. Fortunately, for those of us who are already customers, there is a lot of crossover there, but it isn’t 100%, I would think. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I’m not saying they couldn’t, but in my opinion problems should be eradicated at the source. The source in this case is a radio station/broadcast chain that maybe could alter their settings if they know there is a complaint. Otherwise precious programming capacity by Sonos would be used to cure someone else’s faults - which they may not even be aware of.