Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Userlevel 1
The slider in the sonos app will automatically go back to what % you set it as once kids try going to a higher volume. Any additional volume to the right will automatically be back to the left at whatever % you set it at so kids will never be able to go past your set level. 😉. Its also paword protected so only admin will have access to volume level setup.
Just get 1 hushbox and it will fix the volume control problem for all your sonos speakers. By the way, i am not affiliated with them in any way and also got trolled in the past when i posted this solution. I just had the same issue in the past and that was the most cost effective way to fix the volume control problem for my kids.

Thanks, I created a ticket with Sonos since they don't seem to monitor these forums. If they answer with anything useful I'll let you know here. Regarding the hushbox, I may buy it, but since my speaker blew I'm actually looking to replace the Sonos (if they won't be adding this feature I want to find it somewhere else). Plus the hushbox costs almost as much as the speaker itself, which is absurd, it should be a simple feature that doesn't cost us anything but I'd gladly pay. And I don't want a separate device to do this, one more thing to go wrong. Honestly, Sonos Engineers, what do we have to do to get this feature built in?
Badge
I was looking forward Alexa Integration and have been quite impressed with 4-Oct announcements. Now Sonos is back on track, and might become the best deal in term of integration in the long run.
But....
After testing today Alexa-Sonos integration, i automatically searched for this volume control feature which is as of today unavailable. Having kids between 3-5 years old, Alexa integration become a very dangerous feature. How hard is it for them to say "Alexa, set the volume to 10 in the living room. I have 1 playbar, 1 woofer and 2 play 1 in the living room, imagine the consequences? I have disabled Alexa integration for now.
The simple solution I would wish. In the setup, set max x% per group (ex: 30% in living room). No change in any application (iphone/ipad app, windows, alexa), but when user setup volume to 50%, it actually set the actual volume to 15% (50% x 30%). This will make it easy for everyone, and make the volume adjustment more precise.
When can we have this sonos? Do not make techy parents look inconscient
We have a play5 pair which would be incredibly loud if it were ever set over 50%. I'm likewise not sure about setting up alexa integration without the ability to set a room max...
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
this would be a wonderful feature!
We have 4 Sonos' throughout our apartment and would love to have this feature as well! Especially since some of the speakers bump up against other people's bedrooms. It would be nice to be able to limit some of them.
This is an essential feature when is comes to Alexa-Sonos integration. I disabled the Alexa skill because yesterday we had a sh*tshow when I asked Alexa to turn the volume to "2" and it decided to turn the volume to "10". Try undoing that when the speakers are blaring, it was a mess. Hopefully I didn't wreck the speakers.
Please fix the volume limit feature on sonos. This is a function that many need !!
So this thread has been active for what, 5 years, and still no movement on this? 5 years worth of development time and yet a feature like this, wanted by so many, still hasn't been developed? Strange
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
I'm pretty certain they have not been doing nothing in that time. But it is frustrating that this and many other quick small enhancements never make it to the top of the dev list.
Would love to be able to set a volume limit. Within the first couple of minutes of purchasing my first Sonos product (a playbar) last year I experienced the iOS Spotify connect bug which caused the volume to ramp up to max. Even after I figured out how I triggered the bug I still accidentally triggered it a handful of times until the bug was fixed a couple of months later. The panic those incidents caused me could’ve been easily mitigated had a volume limit been set in place. Needless to say it has soured my first impressions of being a sonos owner and first impressions tend to stick. As well as echoing everyone else’s sentiments I’d also add that I’ve always used volume limiters to protect me from myself in a way, as I’ve always had a bad habit of slowly dialing up the volume during extended listening sessions until I realise, probably a bit late, that my ears are aching (sort of like the boiling frog fable). I can’t imagine it should be massively difficult to at least start with a universal volume limit. I would think that sorting out the easy to fix but massively frustrating issues would be a more time efficient way to make users happier in general.
YES PLEASE. Everybody I know keep complaining about this. Especially with the integrations now such as Spotify which can have some bugs and play at the loudest. I'm renting my place and people don't know the minimum volume is usually enough so they wake everybody up... Very frustrating
Hi everyone, starting today with Sonos 9.2 there's the ability to use the mobile controller for Android or iOS to set a maximum volume for each of your Sonos players. This setting is protected by your Sonos user account, so you'll need to log into the system to set it up. The whole volume bar will still go from 0-100, but 100% will now reflect what your volume limit is set to. This has the added benefit of being able to get more granular control of players at low volume, as the volume steps will scale up or down with the max volume.

Feel free to play around with it and see what you think.

Obviously this a welcome (and seriously overdue) update, so thank you to the Sonos team.

I do feel that the lack of password protection for either settings in general or specifically this volume limit feature makes the update only partially effective. A quick google and anyone inclined to adjust the volume can do so using the app.

For example, I provide Sonos speakers to guests in Airbnb rentals. So now I can limit the volume but only if I don't provide access to the Sonos app on the tablets in the properties. You can get round this by using 3rd party apps such as Spotify or if a guest uses their own device and airplay, but you lose access to services like TuneIn radio and multiple music services easily accessible via the Sonos app.
Where did you get the idea there is no password protection? Some of the settings menus now require you to enter your username and password before you enter the menu for the first time on each device. Use your personal phone to set the settings at the bnb, entering the account info, then the tablets will still have their settings password protected. As an alternative, use the tablets, then reset the controllers on them to reactivate the password.
Where did you get the idea there is no password protection? Some of the settings menus now require you to enter your username and password before you enter the menu for the first time on each device. Use your personal phone to set the settings at the bnb, entering the account info, then the tablets will still have their settings password protected. As an alternative, use the tablets, then reset the controllers on them to reactivate the password.

Thank you, that's very helpful. It wasn't immediately obvious to me that resetting the controller would keep the volume limit and renew password access to that settings menu.

It might be helpful to others if that information were added to the support page:
https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3118?language=en_US
I also think may be a good solution to my request for some compression feature. This solution hopefully could allow a user to turn the volume up for very quiet passages so they didn't vanish, but set a lower maximum so that loud passages weren't overwhelming.....?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I would also like to see a volume limit on fixed output with zp90's, there are times when it goes into a surround receiver or multizone receiver and the amp doesn't like the "hot" output and will clip at any volume level set at receiver. It would also help in multi source systems to be able to more closely match the other inputs. Should be easy considering there is already volume attenuation capability of hardware, instead of making it go to 100% when you hit fixed output, let it stay at current level.
I am a builder and have installed these in a few homes, the issue is when the client comes back to me and asks how they can stop there children from having a volume war, basically changing music and ramping up the volume in each others rooms, also clients asking similar question but maybe having young babies which which are sleeping. definetly need to have some sort of password protection on 2 levels volume/playlist with a main controller that can allow or disallow access. I have to let clients know this is an issue and some have opted not to have as many as they would have like and more often than not for me to supply a system they can actually control 😞 . I have discussed this with Sonos and they agree this is a good idea and they can see the issues. Definetly been under consideration too long.
Userlevel 2
With due respect - why don't you just tell him to turn the volume down? If he generally doesn't listen and do as he's told, then that's a parenting problem rather than a technical problem.
Userlevel 2
I am a builder and have installed these in a few homes, the issue is when the client comes back to me and asks how they can stop there children from having a volume war, basically changing music and ramping up the volume in each others rooms, also clients asking similar question but maybe having young babies which which are sleeping. definetly need to have some sort of password protection on 2 levels volume/playlist with a main controller that can allow or disallow access. I have to let clients know this is an issue and some have opted not to have as many as they would have like and more often than not for me to supply a system they can actually control 😞 . I have discussed this with Sonos and they agree this is a good idea and they can see the issues. Definetly been under consideration too long.
Until (if) Sonos implements this, you could simply answer those parents "by teaching your children to do as you're told".
Userlevel 2
I certainly have been, pah. I wish your clients the best of luck when it comes to asking jeans manufacturers to build in a system making it impossible to unzip when there's a member of the opposite sex nearby, or when they want to ask car manufacturers to let them remotely control how fast the teen's car is allowed to drive.
Badge
Thank you. We might get there eventually. Here in Sweden we already have a remedy for one of these issues in place 😉
Userlevel 2
Trust the Swedes to be at the forefront. Volvo should have adopted the Vorsprung durch technik saying 😉
Userlevel 1
Badge
As far as the childish war games go, all you have to do is set them up as separate systems. Then only they have access to their bedroom system. They would have to gain physical access to it and learn themselves into it. It defeats the purpose of easy wireless mesh networking but if you have hardlines in place, it is a pretty easy fix.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
You start with "due respect" and then you call him an inadequate parent? There have been quite a few legitimate reasons for desiring (no...make that expecting) a volume limit feature. If your contribution after all of those sound reasons is simply "be a better parent", then why bother saying a word to us?