Answered

Volume limit feature

• 6 September 2012
  • 191 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

191 replies

Absolutely agree, volume limit and range keys would be very nice!
Userlevel 3
Think this feature has been under consideration for too long!? Vote for this: https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/implement_customers_good_ideas_more_quickly
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Under consideration for WAY too long. SONOS, really...why bother with this forum?
Badge
I am a builder and have installed these in a few homes, the issue is when the client comes back to me and asks how they can stop there children from having a volume war, basically changing music and ramping up the volume in each others rooms, also clients asking similar question but maybe having young babies which which are sleeping. definetly need to have some sort of password protection on 2 levels volume/playlist with a main controller that can allow or disallow access. I have to let clients know this is an issue and some have opted not to have as many as they would have like and more often than not for me to supply a system they can actually control 😞 . I have discussed this with Sonos and they agree this is a good idea and they can see the issues. Definetly been under consideration too long.
Tomas, Some day you might find young people living in your own home. Most of them try very hard to do as they're told, but sometimes they're just not up to the task. Ever been a teenager yourself?
Userlevel 1
Badge
More irrelevant comments making light of an issue that doesn't matter as much to them. While it is an engineering feat to make a car that keeps teens from driving fast, Chevy has already done it and I think Ford and Volvo too. As far as Jeans that don't unzip, they were actually the first jeans ever made. They started out as button-fly (no zipper to unzip) so if these impossible things can be done, why can't a simple change be made by the engineers. Change volume from a range of integers from 0-100 be a range from 0-x where x is a value (defaulted to 100) set in a menu. If they want to appease a broader group of people they could also make a settings pin-code lockout. We are not talking about hacking North Korean launch codes, this is simple programming people. If I was privy to the source code it could be done in 15 seconds.
Our child mistakenly set the volume to max when using the tablet and had the first signs of tinnitus (peep in her ears)! Now the sonos system is not used anymore. Such a simple change in the software would make the difference. Don't even need the pin code.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Dear Sonos, A year has passed since I wrote a post here. You've done nothing. Perhaps you don't realize how annoying this problem is for your users? Please see the attached screenshot for an example. This is my normal volume setting for my sonos components. Now, image how fun it is to turn down the volume in the Dining Room just a notch? Here's how it goes: "tap... nothing tap... darn, missed it again, tap... nothing. Well, I'll just slide the whole thing... BLAM BANG THE VOLUME IS NOW UP TO 50% because I couldn't get the slider JUST RIGHT." Please. The way the volume is set now significantly decreases the usability of your otherwise spectacularly good system. I won't repeat the arguments others brought up about accidentally setting the volume for the bedroom — they are valid, too. But for me it's more important to have a convenient way to set volume in everyday usage.
After som googling, I found this tread. This need to be implanted. Please dont let this topic die, it´s important to me the we see such a feature
+1

We'd use it in our vacation rental - otherwise we might need to remove our sonos entirely, sadly.
We will never ever max out the volume on these speakers. I can't imagine going above the middle of the scale. We dislike loud noises and it makes me nervous that I can so easily blast loud sound out of these by accident. I would really appreciate a way to set a personal maximum on each PLAY1 and then have the entire scale range over the acceptable volumes, instead of having half the scale as a lurking danger. Either that, or have an alternate style volume control with an increase/decrease rather than a slider.
My Girl ( 5j) just love's the Play1 in here room... but i do want to "protect" her ears for the future!
ok, i can adjust the volume remotely but a "fixed" software update maximizing the volume for a unit would't be such a mayer software issue i guess???

let say .. max volume on 60% or so ?
We have a full team here dedicated to reading every post made on the community and responding as well. We make sure to share ideas within the company, passing on suggestions and requests in a number of ways. That said, as a company we don't share a roadmap or discuss future development, so for some requests we can only say so much.

The only way to adjust the volume on players for most users is through our app, or using the physical buttons on the players. Most businesses I've seen Sonos used in have them mounted way too high for anyone to touch the buttons, and apps can only connect if they're on your wireless network, which you'll usually want to have private as well. The only people you should really have to worry about would be any employees that you've trusted with the wifi credentials.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone, and we love seeing posts like chowanec's above, a solution of sorts which people can use if they feel confident enough. We'll be sure to let everyone know if there's any news on this feature in the future.

Wow! A response! Albeit a "thank you for your thoughts" reply. Those of us interested in this simple feature add are not interested in where "most businesses mount" their Sonos speakers. Also kind of crazy that a high sought after feature can be utilized on Lenux only... come on... Just make the feature already, please.
Hi Sonos, I think this is one of the most urgent requests coming from clients. Unless your software development process is a mess (which I do not expect), this must be an easy thing to do. Let's do this and make clients happy!
Please Sonos develop a PIN protected limit feature. I run a holiday let business and have Sonos in my lets. My guests love it but my neighbours are not so happy when my guests get carried away with the volume! So many people are asking for this feature please do something
It's to easy to set max volume by mistake. and we have the app in pc and in phones 2 times last week we have max volume in one zone it was an mistake but it's not fun to distroy 3 speakers. So plz fix so you can set an volume limit in every zone. Or if the speaker get damage you repair if by guarantee? I also needed to install sonos app two times because it have max volume from start when I downloaded the app android .so plz fix this or we change to another brand soon .
Userlevel 2
Badge
I would really value this. With a pin code would be ideal, but even without would be amazing. I don't want to disturb the neighbours! I worked love to get a Sonos amp with out door speakers but worry I would group it and make them too loud.

Also my kids have turned the music too loud many times and it had stopped me buying Sonos 1 for their rooms& Sonos 5 for three living room as I worry out of control volume. I'm a loyal customer with TV, kitchen, study, my bedroom & bathroom covered... Give me there peace of mind to buy more!
My company made a very simple black box to do exactly this. Plug it into your network, it monitors all of your Sonos devices and will make sure each Sonos device does not exceed the user's preset maximum volume level. Super simple to setup via web interface. Checkout http://hushlabs.ca.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Has anyone tried this device from hush labs? How quickly does it reduce the sound once it's been increase?

My company made a very simple black box to do exactly this. Plug it into your network, it monitors all of your Sonos devices and will make sure each Sonos device does not exceed the user's preset maximum volume level. Super simple to setup via web interface. Checkout http://hushlabs.ca.
Less than 1 second. Tested with up to 10 zones grouped together, they all turn down in less than one second.

Has anyone tried this device from hush labs? How quickly does it reduce the sound once it's been increase?

Userlevel 1
+1 for volume limit
Userlevel 1
I just purchased a http://hushlabs.ca/ Hush Lab volume control limit device for my sonos speakers and will keep you guys posted on how it worked out...
Userlevel 1
I just purchased the HushBox to add to my sonos speakers and it worked great! I can now volume limit each room. http://hushlabs.ca/
Also looking for this feature. Would personally even be fine without the PIN lock, just a simple slider in the settings for an individual speaker where I can set the maximum level for that speaker alone. Assuming I set the maximum level to 50%, I would want the volume slider and buttons to simply be scaled down by 1/2.

iOS has had such a simple slider (http://www.howtogeek.com/224491/how-to-volume-limit-your-iphone-ipod-and-other-apple-devices-and-save-your-kids-hearing/) since the beginning, it's super intuitive and should be easy for Sonos to add to the system.
Userlevel 1
Hushlabs.ca fixes this ongoing sonos issue. You should check them out. My kids now all have a volume limit in each of their rooms or zones. No more blasting the music. 🆒
Userlevel 1
I understand your frustration as I was recently in your shoes. FYI, one box at $150 controls all the zone so you would only need one. But I agree, sonos should provide this feature for free.