Virtual zones

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Giving this very old thread a nice bump as this is something I really wish they would implement also. This would be especially nice now that we have voice control for our devices.

Hi rhett7660,

Thanks for reaching out. I'll send along a feature request to add saved groups to the Sonos app.
I'm not really clear what is being requested here? Do you want a set of pre-defined groups where any given speaker can only be in one group? (If a speaker was in multiple groups and each group was playing something different what would the speaker common to both groups be playing?)

Should speakers be allowed to be in more than one group and just get excluded from the second group if they are already busy playing something in the first group?

Should a group override whatever is playing by pulling any speakers it needs from an already playing group and put them into the newly requested second group?

Should any already playing group just be stopped and the group completely ungrouped to free up speakers for the new request? (will likely tick off whoever was listening to the first group).

It would be good to know exactly what you are asking the save groups to do.
Your model only works for the use case of a single user with several different virtual groups that share speakers but only one virtual group is active to a time.

In the real world Sonos has to expect and accommodate multiple users and multiple groups operating at the same time but playing different programs. If you want Sonos to consider your request you need to explain how your model will scale to these real world use cases.