Virtual zones

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

I've also stopped to expand, it's annoying to group/ungroup and adjust volume every time! I need presets with predefined players and volume settings. These presets schould be selectable also for the timer.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Seems like this thread stalled but i want to second this idea as well,
"Virtual Pairing" shouldn't be difficult to implement ... well, i can see how DLNA might be impacted, but honestly who uses their Sonos speakers as DLNA servers anyway. Make it happen, and please don't hold out on this idea like on Airplay functionality.

I get that you guys want to protect your business model and app integrity (and sell Sonos controllers), but Sonos is stretching its customer's patience on features that are everywhere else available, plus you are limiting your sales potential forcing people to buy Bose or B&W speakers (which actually sound very nice) and if you wait a little too long, Bose caught up on their streaming app ... so better hurry for once. Thanks
Because of the lack of this feature, I've just gone ahead and unplugged about 1/3 of my sonos amps (I have a staggering 21 of them driving every room, bathroom and closet in my house).  Grouping rooms isn't entirely stable, so I've unplugged the lesser used ones (stairwell, front rocks, etc...) to avoid the hassle.  I'm not considering rewiring some of my in ceiling speakers to the sonos amps, by combining cables on an amp, to "hard group" zones because of the lack of this feature.  Comeon... This isn't a hard one to do!  Be kind to your high end customers!
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Way to save multiple groups or formations with the same speakers?. I just bought two play 3's and a soundbar. I'm curious, how do I save multiple formations of the speakers? Like create one group with both speakers and the soundbar and then another group for one speaker and another for the other speaker, or one group where the two are paired? Seems pretty straightforward and it is annoying to have to change room settings every time I want to change where sound is being directed. 
so, Sonos does not support speakers in multiple groups?  seems like a lost opportunity.
Hey guys - suggest sharing this on Twitter, Facebook or Google to get some traction behind the idea using the hashtag #SonosZonesNow  - lets get it trending so Sonos actually take action!
Userlevel 1
I submitted this 10 years ago. Not sure trending is going to have much effect.
I submitted this 10 years ago. Not sure trending is going to have much effect.

You are right Palm that there's no guarantee it will work, but public discussion can change company policy- remember the United Breaks Guitars song - 14 million views and some real action from United.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
@Sonos Team:

When can we finally expect virtual grouping and bonding, please?

I mention virtual bonding specifically because i would like to use a pair of Play:1 in my work nook together with the Sonos Sub that also serves a Playbar / Play:3 surround setup in the same room.

Due to the room layout i prefer a pair of Play1 on my desk instead of hearing music from the back of the Play3.

Dealing with 'odd' room layouts is certainly tricky with audio setups, but come on guys, you have the power to do it and to distinct your product through enhanced setup flexibility from competing offers. 

What makes the implementation so difficult or time consuming?

It feels like even Apple listens more to its customers than Sonos does (and i don't mean the customer service / social media reps here in the forum. You guys listen and respond to us all the time and given the lack of info your marketing wants to share i can only imagine how frustrating this must be at times)

Thanks
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
I meddle with some software development and sometime you make design decisions that you really, really regret. And reengineering the code costs a fortune...

Userlevel 2
Badge +7
Nice find - shame there is no Android equivalent
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Nice find - shame there is no Android equivalent

I haven't tried on android but I read that Macronos now integrates with Tasker so some more automation is possible but I'm not sure how far you can go with it.
Check out https://sites.google.com/a/youtec.dk/macronos/home/tasker-locale-plugin
Development prioritization at Sonos has always been a mystery. Super niche areas like the Spotify interface or the option to downgrade from Sonosnet to plain Wi-Fi get top attention while items such as virtual zones and persistent groups that would benefit a huge majority of users continue to be ignored.
+1

Has someone somewhere found an official response why this hasn't been developed yet?
Any news on virtual zones within 6.0 ?!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Any news on virtual zones within 6.0 ?!

nope. nada.
Why would there be? Sonos have resolutely ignored this request, they're hardly likely to just spring it on you with no previous indication that they were working on it (such as a beta program).
still looking for this and still no answer from SONOS 😕
Userlevel 2
Badge
Bump, looking for this as well.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't have any news right now on this, but we appreciate the feedback. There are some great ideas here.
Hey guys,

Thanks for the suggestions. We don't have any news right now on this, but we appreciate the feedback. There are some great ideas here.

So you guys are finally going to pick this up? 😃
Hey guys,

So you guys are finally going to pick this up? :D

Yes, less than 24 hours later, on a Saturday, they made a decision to go from "no news" to implementing this feature. Not only that, but miracle of miracles, they've also decided to forego their decade old policy of not talking about future features and are announcing this one prior to the public beta. Hooray! :rolleyes:
waiting for this great feature that will be virtual zones.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
waiting for this great feature that will be virtual zones.

If you hold your breath then the feature you crave will be implemented much quicker
Userlevel 1
Badge
Yes it would be so useful to be able to save groups. Being obliged to group and ungroup all the time is really annoying ! That seems so easy to program, I don't understand neither why sonos hasn't made it yet...