Answered

Trueplay brings stereo pair out of balance

• 6 November 2022
  • 90 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have a strange problem. In one room I have 2 sonos five in stereo. After trueplay is done, they are out of balance. I have to slide the balance 5 points to the right. If i toggle trueplay on off, it is very noticeable. with trueplay off balance is in center 🤷🏻‍♂️ Anyway to fix this without using the balance control? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 November 2022, 18:40

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

90 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Strange that Sonos told me it was a known problem, and to others they say it’s not known. How on earth can they fix it if only a few of their employees know about this? Soon 3 months now. Not acceptable for this price range… I’m very disappointed ☹️ 

I have already contacted tech support several times, and each time they tell me that this problem is unknown. I have two Play 5 2nd gen and there is this problem, now I bought two Five and there is the same problem

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

New software update to day. Anyone tried if it is fixed now?

Have updated & retuned and it’s made no difference. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Have updated & retuned and it’s made no difference. 

☹️

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I got tired of it and a week ago I put up for sale two Five’s and two Play:5 2nd gen. I'm tired of this, for several months the problems have not been fixed. I will never buy Sonos again.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I got tired of it and a week ago I put up for sale two Five’s and two Play:5 2nd gen. I'm tired of this, for several months the problems have not been fixed. I will never buy Sonos again.

Change your signature 😉

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Very disappointing that Sonos don't prioritize their most expensive speaker. Been waiting for months and still they haven’t fixed something so critical as trueplay 😡

No. Still no luck. The right speaker does not get tuned. So the conclusion must be, that Sonos does not work in stereo.  
No more Sonos products for me

By the way… I have an iPhone 13 Pro. 
Is the issue related to the iphone version?

By the way… I have an iPhone 13 Pro. 
Is the issue related to the iphone version?

I’ve tried on an iPad, iPhone 12 & 14

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have tried to update several times and the message reads ’Update Problem’ ‘Try Again’ etc. 

Interestingly, ‘Trueplay’ is greyed out under ‘Sound’ in the app  

I wonder could one of the YouTube experts help. 
For example, ‘Smart Home Sounds’ really seem to know their stuff. It’s hard to know what to do at this stage. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Updated system earlier and issue is still there!

Badge

A thought... 

Does trueplay break if you calibrate a speaker as a single one and then connect as pair? My thought was if it would be possible to go around the problem by calibrating each speaker in place and then pair them as stereo. 

A thought... 

Does trueplay break if you calibrate a speaker as a single one and then connect as pair? My thought was if it would be possible to go around the problem by calibrating each speaker in place and then pair them as stereo. 

Yes, Trueplay settings are wiped out when speakers are stereo paired/unpaired. My thoughts are to factory reset just one speaker only and try these things again and if that fails, to then reset the other one and see if that sorts it.

Obviously do not factory reset both at the same time, as otherwise you may lose the Sonos system/household if they are your only speakers, but doing each one individually and setting it up again before then doing the other, might be worth considering. (entirely at your own risk and maybe as a ‘last resort’).

Think of it this way…TruePlay is set up for a ‘room’ not an individual speaker. When you change that ‘room’, the TruePlay goes away. 

Yes, I like your idea better ;)

And I ‘think’ that’s the way the auto TruePlay speakers work, at the speaker level, rather than the room level…but I don’t have pairs to test that theory, either.

Userlevel 1

Updated to latest software. Removed both fives and the sub. Added them again. Ran trueplay…

Still the same issue as before. Right speaker sounds bad and is not ‘trueplayed’. Left speaker is all good. 

Come on Sonos this is not good enough. 

Have just had the exact same problem. Trueplay tuned my Pair of Play:5 2nd Gen and found balance had shifted significantly left. Dependent on song anywhere between 4-9 points right on the slider was needed to re-centre. Found the similar issue with only the left speaker being changed. The right speaker remained unchanged, with the Left Speaker being given a massive bump in Hi Freq performance. Did the tuning on my iPhone 12 Pro Max, so unsure what the issue is. Might try again tomorrow, but interesting to see others are having the same issue. It’s a shame as the quality upscale in the speakers (even if it was only the left channel) was massive, however as soon as I shifted the balance to a value where it sounded centred, most of the benefit had gone

Userlevel 3
Badge

New system update available, let’s see if that will help 🤞🏼

Badge

New system update available, let’s see if that will help 🤞🏼

😬🤞

Userlevel 3
Badge

Update: problem solved!!

both play 5’s sound the same after Trueplay tuning

Just retuned and the initial tests are sounding good. 

if I put the balance all the way to right it still seems to sound more muffled then the left. But when I’ve got them equal I’m not noticing it and they appear to sound balanced. 

Will test more later and will also try my ones as they’re worse than the fives. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Finally got rid of the problem 🤗👌

Badge

Yeeesss! 

Whipping out my old square iPhone SE now! 🥳

Userlevel 3
Badge

I think they did this so the new Era speakers won’t sound like crap after Trueplay tuning 😂

Have now tried my ones and they sound sorted. So all looks good for fives and ones…I’d forgotten how much better trueplay sounds. 

Next problem now is resisting the temptation to buy the Era speakers 🙂