Answered

Trueplay brings stereo pair out of balance

• 6 November 2022
  • 90 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

90 replies

Think of it this way…TruePlay is set up for a ‘room’ not an individual speaker. When you change that ‘room’, the TruePlay goes away. 

Yes, I like your idea better ;)

And I ‘think’ that’s the way the auto TruePlay speakers work, at the speaker level, rather than the room level…but I don’t have pairs to test that theory, either.

A thought... 

Does trueplay break if you calibrate a speaker as a single one and then connect as pair? My thought was if it would be possible to go around the problem by calibrating each speaker in place and then pair them as stereo. 

Yes, Trueplay settings are wiped out when speakers are stereo paired/unpaired. My thoughts are to factory reset just one speaker only and try these things again and if that fails, to then reset the other one and see if that sorts it.

Obviously do not factory reset both at the same time, as otherwise you may lose the Sonos system/household if they are your only speakers, but doing each one individually and setting it up again before then doing the other, might be worth considering. (entirely at your own risk and maybe as a ‘last resort’).

Badge

A thought... 

Does trueplay break if you calibrate a speaker as a single one and then connect as pair? My thought was if it would be possible to go around the problem by calibrating each speaker in place and then pair them as stereo. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Updated system earlier and issue is still there!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have tried to update several times and the message reads ’Update Problem’ ‘Try Again’ etc. 

Interestingly, ‘Trueplay’ is greyed out under ‘Sound’ in the app  

I wonder could one of the YouTube experts help. 
For example, ‘Smart Home Sounds’ really seem to know their stuff. It’s hard to know what to do at this stage. 

By the way… I have an iPhone 13 Pro. 
Is the issue related to the iphone version?

I’ve tried on an iPad, iPhone 12 & 14

By the way… I have an iPhone 13 Pro. 
Is the issue related to the iphone version?

No. Still no luck. The right speaker does not get tuned. So the conclusion must be, that Sonos does not work in stereo.  
No more Sonos products for me

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Very disappointing that Sonos don't prioritize their most expensive speaker. Been waiting for months and still they haven’t fixed something so critical as trueplay 😡

Userlevel 3
Badge

I got tired of it and a week ago I put up for sale two Five’s and two Play:5 2nd gen. I'm tired of this, for several months the problems have not been fixed. I will never buy Sonos again.

Change your signature 😉

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I got tired of it and a week ago I put up for sale two Five’s and two Play:5 2nd gen. I'm tired of this, for several months the problems have not been fixed. I will never buy Sonos again.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Have updated & retuned and it’s made no difference. 

☹️

Have updated & retuned and it’s made no difference. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

New software update to day. Anyone tried if it is fixed now?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Strange that Sonos told me it was a known problem, and to others they say it’s not known. How on earth can they fix it if only a few of their employees know about this? Soon 3 months now. Not acceptable for this price range… I’m very disappointed ☹️ 

I have already contacted tech support several times, and each time they tell me that this problem is unknown. I have two Play 5 2nd gen and there is this problem, now I bought two Five and there is the same problem

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Me too!  I even tried to get them to read this thread but they were unwilling to do so. 

Instead they want me unsubscribe form the Beta programme, even though I’m not on any Beta activity, and try the speakers in another room, which is not a simple task.

So I moved the speakers to another room and they are still unbalanced with Trueplay on.  The removal of the Sub makes no difference nor does factory resetting and nor does doing all the same in another room in my house.  To balance the volume you need to set the right speaker to +4 on the balance slider.  Even then the treble is greatly muted on the right channel.  

I have a problem ticket open and shall be calling them later to add the above info.

Frustrating!

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Strange that Sonos told me it was a known problem, and to others they say it’s not known. How on earth can they fix it if only a few of their employees know about this? Soon 3 months now. Not acceptable for this price range… I’m very disappointed ☹️ 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I spoke with support about this. This is NOT a known issue. However, after running Trueplay for a pair of 5s in Stereo, I was advised to power off both speakers for 10 seconds and then power back on. Apparently this forces the paired speakers to share their settings and this appears to have worked for me. 

Jock, do you have a sub too?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Nor me. This is utter rubbish. Without Trueplay my pair of 5s and sub sound terrible. 

What I have found is that äfter Trueplay tuning the only way I can get the speakers to sound half decent again is to power them off.  That gets them sounding half decent but trying Trueplay again and the issues return. 

Userlevel 3
Badge

I spoke with support about this. This is NOT a known issue. However, after running Trueplay for a pair of 5s in Stereo, I was advised to power off both speakers for 10 seconds and then power back on. Apparently this forces the paired speakers to share their settings and this appears to have worked for me. 

It didn’t work for me… 
Maybe if they shared their settings, it shared the setting of the not-trueplayed speaker

Did not work for me also

It didn’t work for me… 
Maybe if they shared their settings, it shared the setting of the not-trueplayed speaker

Userlevel 3
Badge

I will see (listen) if that works, thanks

Userlevel 1

Userlevel 1

Same issue here. Pair of Sonos 5s in a stereo pair. Truplay results in left hand speaker being adjusted, but right hand speaker is quieter and muffled. Hopefully a fix is on its way as it used to be OK but not since last software update when I re-ran Truplay. 

@bockersjv thank you for that. I’m hoping others will do that as well, in order to provide multiple avenues of tracking down the specifics, and increase pressure on it being a severe issue.  I suspect the anecdotal ‘I’m having this problem too’ aren’t sufficient.