Question

Terrible User Interface

• 15 November 2017
  • 71 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

71 replies

Sonos doesn't assign network addresses, to the best of my knowledge, so whatever it is I doubt it is that. But the rebooting of devices in an update can certainly cause IP addressing problems, best avoided if everything involved has fixed addresses.

I hope you get it resolved.
I agree. The new release is very counter intuitive. I am constantly frustrated.I respect everyone's right to their opinion of the app. I know many are genuinely struggling. But I have given up trying to understand what is counterintuitive about 'select a room, select music to go in it', when the buttons for doing all that are in one place, on the tab bar. Having asked that question a few times, I am yet to get a convincing answer. I will link this document for the last time in an attempt to help, but I don't suppose it will.
Good luck all
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mI9AOixsZpxDrxVnsnzYQbPZ23bSV-EG
@DWPx2 I haven't experienced any of those issues, some of which cannot be caused by the controller app. I suggest running a system diagnostic and posting the confirmation number on a new thread so that your system issues can be resolved.
I haven't experienced any of those issues, some of which cannot be caused by the controller app. I suggest running a system diagnostic and posting the confirmation number on a new thread so that your system issues can be resolved.
Are you one of the developers? If not, I'm not sure how you can definitively state that the issues "cannot be caused by the controller app." I've been through many successful SONOS updates, and this clearly hasn't been a successful one for many of us.

On the other hand, if you ARE a developer, please do the rest of us a HUGE favor and reverse the damage.
The app is just a controller. Blaming it for the things you have described is like blaming your TV remote because your TV isn't working properly. You can either try to work with Sonos Support to resolve the issues or not. I post on here to try to help and sometimes I do. I will now do as you clearly want and cease to do so in your case
If you are not one of the developers, then forgive me for responding in frustration to you. In my perusal of this forum, I've read of others who are experiencing my same issues since the update, which lead me to believe it absolutely could be update-related. Since I'm new to this forum (haven't had a need to utilize it prior to this version), does SONOS not have an active presence here themselves? It would seem prudent to keep close tabs on the end-user's experience after the roll-out of a major update. If they do not, I'll try to contact them directly tomorrow during business hours.
i cant even turn it to my LINE IN source?? it used to be easy, now it is impossible.Of course you can.
Userlevel 6
Badge +12
Am I the only one who has this problem with the new Desktop Controller, it forgets browse position?
https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/mac-controller-sleep-controller-forgets-browse-position-6794348
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
2. Combine the browse and search tabs. I get flustered when I have so many places to go to pick music. You could combine the two (you could even put My Sonos as a source, and combine all three) and make it feel more like music central. .

No thanks, I like them separate. That way they don't interfere with another -- I can search, browse and use My Sonos in parallel, and it's super quick to switch between them. This is a nice enhancement in the v8 app.
2. Combine the browse and search tabs. I get flustered when I have so many places to go to pick music. You could combine the two (you could even put My Sonos as a source, and combine all three) and make it feel more like music central. .

No thanks, I like them separate. That way they don't interfere with another -- I can search, browse and use My Sonos in parallel, and it's super quick to switch between them. This is a nice enhancement in the v8 app.
Agree better separate. They are completely different ways to choose music. Also, it might be physically possible to accommodate this on a tablet screen, but I can't see it being feasible on a phone. And it looks to me that Sonos' intention is to have just one mobile app.
I agree. The new release is very counter intuitive. I am constantly frustrated.I respect everyone's right to their opinion of the app. I know many are genuinely struggling. But I have given up trying to understand what is counterintuitive about 'select a room, select music to go in it', when the buttons for doing all that are in one place, on the tab bar. Having asked that question a few times, I am yet to get a convincing answer. I will link this document for the last time in an attempt to help, but I don't suppose it will.
Good luck all
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1mI9AOixsZpxDrxVnsnzYQbPZ23bSV-EG

A 3.5 page guide to accomplish what used to be intuitive and needed no guide at all.:D:D:D
Thanks for proving that all of us who hate 8.00 are correct.
Mostly pictures to help those who struggle with words.

A 3.5 page guide to accomplish what used to be intuitive and needed no guide at all.:D:D:D
Thanks for proving that all of us who hate 8.00 are correct.

Yeah and the same claims about 4.3 being "intuitive" and 5.0 needing a written guide were stated last time the UI changed. Now 5.0 is magically intuitive and 8.0 is the one that needs the guide.
And there is no more chance of Sonos going back now than there was then. I have asked repeatedly what is unintuitive about 'select a room, select music for that room, and access all that from buttons in one place'. No convincing answer yet. It is simple, logical, and as intuitive or otherwise as the previous version.
Totally agree. New interface is awful. Why fix what wasn't broken! It is now so confusing, impossible to figure out what room is playing what now. How to edits the rooms, etc. Bring back the old app!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
And there is no more chance of Sonos going back now than there was then. I have asked repeatedly what is unintuitive about 'select a room, select music for that room, and access all that from buttons in one place'. No convincing answer yet. It is simple, logical, and as intuitive or otherwise as the previous version.

Give it up John! A convincing answer will never come. Classic symptom of pure aversion to change. I will proceed to enjoy my music and suggest you do too. Happy to read sensible feedback but the sky is falling reactions I have got no more time for. Pretending not to understand how to do something because you preferred another method is ridiculous.

All of a sudden guys with years of familiarity with Sonos can’t get Music playing in any room. Give me a break.

They probably have a meltdown with every new version of Microsoft office. 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +1
I shall get back to my Sonos and enjoying my music, and leave those unwilling to adapt to an app that is simple to use to do as they wish.

Yeah right you and the other apostles have a religious like zeal to convert the unbelievers of 8.0. You can't seem to not rebut those who you think " don't get it" no matter how much you fan the flames.
12 replies, already knows the history of the product and forum, already calling people names. I smell stinky socks. Logan, is that ypu?
All these issues have been raised repeatedly and Sonos have said they are listening to feedback and will be making changes. But I hope you find what you are looking for.
Sonos, are you listening? As one of the first Sonos dealers ever (Soundings in Denver - from late 2002 before the product was even shipping) I have watched Sonos grow up and mature and improve over the years. Each turn was for the better and well calculated from feedback from dealers and clients alike. This feels like their rebellious teen years, they've gone and colored their hair and got a nose ring and all the parents can do is sit back dumbfounded watching this happen...

Seriously though, the interface is not good. I do not have a single client who likes the new interface, No one likes it. It is difficult to move through, even for my family. Please go back.
The vast majority of posters really like the 8.3 version, and it has basically ceased all the furor from 8.0. I'm afraid you have either not seen the newest version, or you are in a very small minority.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
The vast majority of posters really like the 8.3 version, and it has basically ceased all the furor from 8.0. I'm afraid you have either not seen the newest version, or you are in a very small minority.

Except there is no "8.3 version". The current state of v8.3 is basically v8.0 with some welcome tweaks (colour scheme and fixed navigation bar) and outstanding issues ("My Sonos" screen layout and terminology, playback/queue inconsistencies from v7, differing mobile and desktop UIs). And it's not that the software is terrible, but sometimes it's the stupid little things that drive users mad.

Look, Sonos deserve some credit for pushing out improvements, but they still have work to do. Users are going to continue screaming into the void of these forums until the user experience improves.

Except there is no "8.3 version". The current state of v8.3 is basically v8.0 with some welcome tweaks (colour scheme and fixed navigation bar) and outstanding issues ("My Sonos" screen layout and terminology, playback/queue inconsistencies from v7, differing mobile and desktop UIs). And it's not that the software is terrible, but sometimes it's the stupid little things that drive users mad.

Look, Sonos deserve some credit for pushing out improvements, but they still have work to do. Users are going to continue screaming into the void of these forums until the user experience improves.
I agree with most of your comments, Alan, but Sonos have said they are working on other aspects so we'll have to wait and see. Given so many other things happening, I'm not surprised at the slow pace of progress. I should give up on the queue thing. I have, although I share your view.

It seems to me the screaming has stopped.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Given so many other things happening, I'm not surprised at the slow pace of progress.

Yep. None of this is really surprising. Sonos have their own priorities. Doesn't stop some of us wishing they placed "truly great user experience" and "favouring core product and existing users over new features" higher on their list though. And every new release is a potential improvement...
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Given so many other things happening, I'm not surprised at the slow pace of progress.

Yep. None of this is really surprising. Sonos have their own priorities. Doesn't stop some of us wishing they placed "truly great user experience" and "favouring core product and existing users over new features" higher on their list though. And every new release is a potential improvement...

Just hope their priorities are mine
GUI is just fine