Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Badge
This is not a full windows 8 platform but will work new surface tablet and Samsung and others plan to use this OS which is not fully windows 8 compatible. It would be very helpful if sonos would support this as the tablet looks promising.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

According to ZDNet, 9.9 million Lumia Phones were sold in the third quarter.  5.5 million macs were sold during the same time frame. 

http://cdn-static.zdnet.com/i/r/story/70/00/035025/are-they-big-enough-scaled-620x450.png

Also, The "Mac installed base is roughly the same size as the Lumia installed base today."

http://www.zdnet.com/how-big-does-a-tech-product-have-to-be-before-we-take-it-seriously-7000035025/

Yet OSX is supported and Windows Phone isn't. 

This is a friggin joke, you've released a beta app for a smartwatch but not WP8???
http://www.androidcentral.com/sonos-working-way-control-its-speakers-android-wear
This is a friggin joke, you've released a beta app for a smartwatch but not WP8???
http://www.androidcentral.com/sonos-working-way-control-its-speakers-android-wear

Wow. That really says it all. I keep coming back here hoping for some good news. Sadly there never is. Are there really more wearable customers out there than WP users? Hideously disappointed.
Hey Sonos, how many Millions do Apple and Google give you to make sure you don't provide a Windows Phone app and you don't add Xbox Music as a streaming service? So many more Windows Phones than Mac computers sold and what you do is to support OSX but not Windows Phone. It's just ridiculous and very disappointing!

Yeah this Sonos giving Microsoft users the finger. Telling that they do not need or want our business. So I'll be canceling my plans to expand my existing system. I was just waiting for an app for my Windows Phone and/or my Surface tablet, to add another 7 unit. I will also be pulling the Sonos equipment I already have installed and selling it on eBay.

This is just an insult.
Think we need to be careful. If the people asking for an app sell all their kit there will be even less need for Sonos to make an app...
When was the last time we hear from Sonos on this?
Willing to buy Sonos but already disappointed before buying. No windows app and the answer of the customer service is : "we cannot tell anything on future products. It is under consideration". Reading this forum it is already under consideration for 2 years. I don't need such long consideration: i won't buy Sonos. That's just clear.
Come on Sonos - we're all still waiting for a proper Windows App, along with support for Xbox Music.  At very least please give us an update on the situation!

Felt slightly insulted this morning when I received your "refer a friend" email - which one of my many Windows Phone friends/family members do you think would be interested in Sonos, given that you don't even have an official Windows Store app?
It is simple ... no Sonos for my house until there is a Windows phone app.  I'd love to fill my house with Sonos but if we can't control it from our phones then no Sonos.  And from what I'm reading, sounds like Sonos customer support is brutally bad.  Two years and they still can't make a decision one way or another?!  Two years of considering?!  Two years with no update?!  Wow.
I have a Microsoft Surface Pro 2, and a Nokia Lumia 930. I used to have an Android mobile device, and I really miss the flexibility of the Android SONOS app. I've been reduced to using the Desktop application on my Surface Pro 2. It's hardly convenient.

Microsoft have made significant progress with their Windows Phone OS, and it now easily competes with other platforms. It's a shame that companies like yourself still haven't developed a native app for it yet.

I turned down purchasing a product a few weeks ago, before purchasing my Windows phone, because I discovered that they didn't have a Windows app. The only reason I have SONOS now is because I already purchased it before considering a Windows Phone device. I'm sure there are going to be other individuals that have not purchased SONOS for the same reason.
My Surface Pro 3 and Microsoft Lumia devices NEED A SONOS APP! It's now much easier to make a UNIVERSAL APP that runs on BOTH! GET ON IT!
I am in the same boat as Del.  I too had Sonos equipment before getting a Windows Phone.  I was amazed by my Sonos equipment when i got it, and i was also amazed by my Lumia Windows Phone when i got that (the phone got even better with time and OS upgrades).

I can quite confidently say i will be buying another Windows Phone over the next 12 months. (Probably a Lumia handset assuming the next iteration of the 900 series becomes available and Microsoft don't do anything too crazy).

I will not consider buying anymore Sonos equipment until there is support for Windows Phone. (Even though i would like the soundbar and sub if i could control it and the rest of the system with my phone)
Sonos does music very well, but without the app on my phone a large element of the luxury feel of the system is disabled as i have to walk to find the ipad to then control my music.  

So in the next year that is £500-£800 of my money going to Microsoft and £0 going to Sonos - as it stands.  
If a windows phone app is provided I would at least get one of the devices on my wish list (£600) in the next 12 months.  
However if a competitor provides a wireless music system, controllable by Windows phone, and of a very good audio standard; then I will take one last look at this forum before leaving and not looking back. 
Count me in for another app request for Windows rt and Windows phone 8.  Why would you not want more customers??
I am in the same boat as Del.  I too had Sonos equipment before getting a Windows Phone.  I was amazed by my Sonos equipment when i got it, and i was also amazed by my Lumia Windows Phone when i got that (the phone got even better with time and OS upgrades).

I can quite confidently say i will be buying another Windows Phone over the next 12 months. (Probably a Lumia handset assuming the next iteration of the 900 series becomes available and Microsoft don't do anything too crazy).

I will not consider buying anymore Sonos equipment until there is support for Windows Phone. (Even though i would like the soundbar and sub if i could control it and the rest of the system with my phone)
Sonos does music very well, but without the app on my phone a large element of the luxury feel of the system is disabled as i have to walk to find the ipad to then control my music.  

So in the next year that is £500-£800 of my money going to Microsoft and £0 going to Sonos - as it stands.  
If a windows phone app is provided I would at least get one of the devices on my wish list (£600) in the next 12 months.  
However if a competitor provides a wireless music system, controllable by Windows phone, and of a very good audio standard; then I will take one last look at this forum before leaving and not looking back. 

So far, no competitors have. I think that's the point.
Badge
I have started a petition for SONOS to support Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 devices by releasing a universal Windows app.  Please sign it if you would like SONOS to release a Windows app.

https://www.change.org/p/mr-john-macfarlane-sonos-inc-support-the-windows-phone-8-windows-8-platform...
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Really waiting to see this happen! My household has switched to Windows Phone and a Surface Tablet in recent years and now we are forced to keep our old, slow Android phone charged to control our Sonos devices.

Also using the Phonos app which is great since it allows us to control Sonos with our Windows Phone, but it lacks functionality compared to the real deal.
I have started a petition for SONOS to support Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 devices by releasing a universal Windows app.  Please sign it if you would like SONOS to release a Windows app.

https://www.change.org/p/mr-john-macfarlane-sonos-inc-support-the-windows-phone-8-windows-8-platform...

the support for your petition is overwhelming... Come on guys! There are more than 18 people out there waiting for the app i hope!
I was looking seriously at SONOS for a full house wireless solution that wasn't Btooth.

Lack of support for Windows tablets/phones is a deal breaker.  My wife won't agree to a solution that doesn't support MS Windows 8.

Bill
Hi,

It would be great to see both Windows RT and Windows Phone 8 Sonos apps. Currently I am using third party apps and they are missing the look and feel, which comes with desktop, ios, and android apps.

Please, make it happen!

Jaakko
Badge
At home we are moving away from Android/Apple to Windows Phone. Over the last 6 months the only way to control the Sonos system was na old iPod Touch, which has some serious battery issues.

I'm buying for Christmas a new stereo with DLNA and the top requisite will be Windows Phone App (free or not)

Sonos system will be packed and stored.
Would love to have an RT app.  My tablet sits on the counter in my kitchen so it would be the best choice for controlling the system.  I know the survey is over but I've got 1 Sound Bar, 1 Sub, 1 Play5s, 2 Play3s and 3 Play 1s.
There are numerous threads on this topic and I'm not sure which one is being followed, so I'll comment on multiple threads. It's very frustrating having just invested $2000 in a wireless speaker system that has turned out to be not wireless at all. Because there is no app for windows phones or windows tablets, I'm tethered to my desktop computer. It is a joke showing sonos to friends and having to run upstairs to change the song or station every time. I've reviewed the threads and there's no response from sonos representatives on the topic either.
Come on Sonos, looks like this has been going on for years!  There are plenty of people with a Windows phone, all we really need is the ability to choose what music is playing on the speakers if it's soooo much trouble for you to develop the app for Windows......

Sure. But they all know that SONOS won’t give them a Windows Phone app. There are 1884 likes on this thread and SONOS can’t care less. So another petition won’t help.