Support Spotify Connect to allow users to use the Spotify app as the controller.

• 3 September 2013
  • 366 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

366 replies

Please add another vote for using Spotify Connect rather than the Sonos app... Using a bloated Spotify playlist on the Sonos app is horrendously clunky and seriously frustrating. It's just bad!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
An extended family member came round last weekend and he was really impressed with my Sonos kit and was keen to buy some himself.  He is also a Spotify subscriber and, having talked to him about how he used Spotify (primarily radio and for music discovery rather than just playlists and searching for specific (known) artist/song/album), we agreed that Sonos was not for him due to its Spotify limitations.  He'll probably get some Denon kit now or something else from http://spotifygear.com/

Yes, I know this is due to Spotify's API but making Sonos speakers available as Spotify Connect devices is down to Sonos and would open up all Spotify functionality to Sonos.  If there is a technical reason why this cant be done Sonos should come clean about it.  However, the comments from the CEO and the vast number of other devices that can support it suggest this is not the case.
Hi folks, There's not much to say at the moment but we'd like everyone to understand where we're coming regarding the announcement from Spotify. Sonos is a platform for music lovers and we want Sonos customers to enjoy all the music on earth from whatever source they choose. We have an excellent partnership with Spotify which is, and will continue to be, an important part of many of our customers music listening experience on Sonos. Thanks for your continued support.
COME ON Sonos!  Your community has been crying out for this for over a year now!  Surely you can at least respect us with a response to the repeated requests!
So I'm one more disappointed Sonos user now looking elsewhere.  I have been waiting for Sonos to move with the times and allow us to use Spotify connect to play through our Sonos speakers but it looks like it is unlikely to ever happen.

Just this week I've advised my family setting up the new holiday house to go for a different speaker system as although Sonos has good speakers, it's not keeping up with technology.

This will be Sonos' demise - the flexibility of all other wifi speaker systems will overtake the once great leader in the field.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The German IT Site Heise wrote today that spotify connect will be supported soon:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Spotify-Connect-Mobilgeraet-steuert-Computermusik-2445173.htm...

OK!  Let us know if they reply.  I wish it were true but I think it must just be a misunderstanding somewhere in the research.
The German IT Site Heise wrote today that spotify connect will be supported soon:

http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Spotify-Connect-Mobilgeraet-steuert-Computermusik-2445173.htm...

That's why I have kindly asked them for the source behind this information. No answer until now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17

But totally lacking in detail or supporting evidence !
Userlevel 1
I just saw the news too. I bought my Sonos just a few weeks ago and would be bummed if you do not add the support. Please make it happen!
i recently switched from spotify to Google play specifically because they integrate with sonos.... i LOVE spotify and want to come back , but this is a super convenient feature that I've become dependent on.

Welp. Spotify Connect email blast today and Sonos is nowhere to be found. I'm not interested in assigning blame, as I'm sure there's some fault to be found on both sides and we mere consumers will never know the details of the business negotiations. Yet for me, Sonos will be the loser. It's a lot easier for me to replace audio hardware, even at $$$ cost, than to move all the playlists I have to another platform. Spotify wins, even if they don't deserve it. Adios, Sonos. Maybe somebody'll buy my Play 5 and Bridge on Craigslist.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Following on from my post above, here is my latest attempt to bring a better Spotify experience within Sonos.  see link to sonos forums
Echoing Limme, two posts up: "Makes me feel that I didn't make the right choice in the beginning". 
Love my Sonos (Amp and Play 5), but start having some regrets because of the poor Spotify support. If not being tied in, I'd most likely opt for a Heos Amp instead of my Connect Amp. Seriously, I've been recommending Sonos to family members and friends, but stopped doing so because of this Spotify thing. Sonos must realise that Spotify is considerable factor in the equation and not 'just some service'. Get your act together Sonos, customers may not be so loyal as you might think.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I've now purchased a Panasonic Allplay ALLC1 that I'm going to connect to the optical input of my playbar along with an optical switch to change between TV input and the Allplay input. This will give me Spotify Connect as a digital input so no loss of quality. Shame I have to resort to such expensive and clunky workarounds because Sonos can't get their act together on this one. It's also forcing me to explore other manufacture devices and potentially ditching all my sonos kit one day which is surely not what they want. Many of my friends use both sonos and Spotify and have the same frustrations . I'd have preferred a Denon Heos Link but got the panasonic with a hefty discount. I'll let you know how it goes once it's up and running.
At first I was surprised of the features of sonos and the lovely easy install. That brings me to sonos at the past. Nowadays it seems that they refuse to jump on new releases of other products. I'm waiting so long for the spotify radio function integrated in sonos. And now they don't want to integrated the spotify connect? Can't understand.

Makes me feel that I didn't make the right choice in the beginning. 

Seriously if LG, Pioneer, Marantz, Teufel, B&O, Sony, Yamaha, Philips, Panasonic, Denon + many others can why sonos can't?

I doubt going for some Libratone or bleusound.... problem solved
I was really speachless when I first saw the abilities of sonos, the nice design, the great sound. Now the support is missing, I can't see my saved Albums, I can't play my playlist radio and the latest releases are Bach, Mozart and Beethoven. This is really frustrating. The sonos system is designed to easily extend but I will not wait much longer before selling my system and switching to a more spotify-friendly system. 
Userlevel 1
this is the game changer right here: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-core-wireless-speaker-system
Userlevel 1
I finally worked out that Sonos supports Airplay (I am sure DLNA as well with a similar adapter). When I say "supports", you need to add a compatible piece of hardware, but the Menu options in the Sonos App (on the Mac and iOS devices) includes AirPlay options.

YouTube Video: Search for "Configuring Sonos for AirPlay" and select the video by butterscotchcom

http://youtu.be/8F-6HwuHGs8

This is fantastic and works great. I have been trying for years to get an Airport Express (AE) to work with Sonos, but never set it up properly. 

All you need to do is connect an Ethernet cable between the AE and any Sonos device, turn off the WiFi on the AE and connect an Audio Line-in between the two (Play 3 doesn't have a Line-in). Name the AE "Sonos" and then select Sonos from any Air Play device (Mac's, iPad's, iPhones and iPods).

Then in the Room settings on the Sonos App, select the Sonos device, select Line-In, Select AirPlay from the Line in drop menu, select AirPlay from the Line-In source level drop menu and then select the room you would like Sonos to autoplay in (doesn't need to be the Room where the AE is connected. 

Playing musing from Spotify, Rdio and Deezer from my MacBook Apps works great. 

HOWEVER, from the iPhone depends greatly on the WiFi signal the iPhone is receiving. Near the router is no problem. However, if the phone is in a blackspot it drops. 

That said, it does work well when the iPhone is in a decent WiFi area of the house. Also, no problem on the MacBook anywhere. 

I had a quick look online for DLNA adapters, similar to the AE that support various standards "AirMusic Receiver WiFi DLNA QPLAY AirPlay For IOS Android" for about £20 for those who prefer Android. 

Anyway, I was quite pleased but I cannot understand why Sonos don't include this information in their FAQ section. I have read that you can connect an AE, but not with the correct set up instructions. 

It is still a Shame Sonos don't support AirPlay / Spotify Connect or better ways of integrating the ability to stream music from Music Service Native Apps, but this works great for me. 

For those who may be looking for an alternative to Sonos, it looks like Bose is on the warpath with their SoundTouch® systems...  They do look very good and we all know how good Bose sounds. They also include some functionality Sonos is lacking and it looks like they include native support for AirPlay and DLNA etc. 
http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/wifi_music_systems/soundtouch_music/index.jsp#story
Userlevel 1
Hello,

This is possible if you use AirPlay (Apple). It works great with all Apple devices for istening to Rdio, Spotify and Deezer through Sonos WITHOUT using the Sonos App.  Easy and cheap to setup too. I am also sure it is possible with Android too. More often than not I listen to music on my Sonos setup using Rdio (and currently Deezer). I don't like Spotify, but that works great too with AirPlay. 
Hello sonos, I really want to be able to use spotify to push music to my sonos system, selecting music there is much easier. Why is it still not there, is spotify connect not a good way for you guys to make a connector? I'm now able to cast spotify directly to my chromecast, so be carefull because competitors are getting close...
I have been waiting for Sonos and Spotify to come together and solve their differences and implement this option. However both are pointing to one and other to be the source of this missing feature. If you are looking for a system that holds the Spotify Connect feature you might want to take a look at https://www.gramofon.com. You can connect this very cheap device through a Sonos Connect or use it without any Sonos equipment. Lets hope this cheap device is an example for Sonos to see that this could be implemented quite easily.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Agree with most of the above. It is truly appalling that Sonos refuse to support Spotify connect. I see no reasonable reason why they would do this.

Along with their lack of support for DTS on the Playbar (home theatre solution? I think not), I sincerely regret investing in Sonos. I've turned more than a few people away from this system. I wish these new systems from other manufacturers had been around when I was looking.

I've wasted way too much time on Sonos-related issues and feel hampered by their lack of technological innovation or adoption. The arrogance of Sonos will be their undoing.
I only use Spotify as my music source. After reading this thread I decided to give up Sonos. 
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
In their continued quest for world domination, Spotify Connect is now also available using Windows as well as IOS and Android.  Beta link is here https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Spotify-Connect-For-Desktop-App/idi-p/689688.  Thats only the Mac thats left before they cover the same platforms as Sonos.

Sonos - any further comment beyond 'Not Planned' and your bizarre statement a year ago claiming "We have an excellent partnership with Spotify" yet you wont support Spotify Connect which would give us all their features on Sonos rather than the 40% we're now left with ??
I´m sorry to say that I have started too look elsewhere on other streaming produkts, just because Sonos does not allow me to use Spotifys own API, Spotify connect... 
Bluesound seems to give me all that Sonos don´t. 
I´m sorry to say that I have started too look elsewhere on other streaming produkts, just because Sonos does not allow me to use Spotifys own API, Spotify connect...