Question

SONOS V6.4 update kills all iPod 4th generation controllers

• 8 September 2016
  • 57 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
I'm surprised at the number of people who think that it's unavoidable that SONOS had to deep six older IOS controllers. I just spent the big bucks ($3.99 US) and downloaded Sonophone. It works well, although it has a few quirks that I'd like to see resolved before I could wholeheartedly recommend it. It doesn't have all of the full management functions of a full SONOS controller but it seems to have about the same functionality as the pared down versions SONOS is offering on even newer versions of ios.

So how can a guy working by himself in Germany manage to figure out how to create (from scratch) a SONOS controller App that works with rev 6.4 under ios 6.1 while a big company like SONOS can't keep theirs functioning?

That being said, I agree with the comments about Apple's planned obsolescence. The three iPods I bought were my one and only foray into the ecosystem of the evil empire. But you have to remember that, when we early adopters started using SONOS, there WAS NO ANDROID APP available. So it was either buy an Apple device or run to your PC every time you wanted to play music or change your volume.

I wasn't taken by surprise when 6.4 killed my iPods. (I read the release notes beforehand). But I was disappointed since other apps have shown that it wasn't necessary.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
you can see if any 3rd party controllers work like Sonophone or Zoneplay. According to Sonophone its compatible with IOS 6.1 or later. You may have to shell out a couple of $/£/€
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Is it only ipod 4th gens affected, or there other apple products stuck on iOS6?
Could sonos provide an even lower level of functionality than partial controller, "just alive controller" ;O) volume, play, pause etc?

What will be the next apple product to bite the dust, stuck on iOS7?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Also

Do you seriously think Sonos don't try, until their butts fall off, to keep old operating systems working fully as long as they possibly can? Even whilst, as jgatie points out, some of the hardware manufacturers are doing their darndest to obsolete their products as fast as possible?

Sonos know every time they make a change that affects which PCs, Macs or iOS devices or Others will become useless as full controllers that they will get a torrent of complaints.

But they do have to improve their products which they are continually working to do.
There's only one reason why Android phones/tablets have over double the life of iOS units when used with Sonos, even through they support 95% of the same features, and it has nothing to do with Sonos "killing" iOS controllers. It has to do with Apple's planned obsolescence sales model.

Since it seems the OP purchased the iPods as dedicated Sonos controllers, I would suggest a $50 Amazon Fire tablet would be a good substitute. They are bigger, have double the life as a controller than the iPods, you can "pin" the Sonos app to the screen so it can only be used for Sonos, and at $50, who cares when it finally dies or is made obsolete?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
YOU MUST READ THE RELEASE NOTES FIRST
Maybe there should be a sonos splash screen with this, and you have to accept, before you can do an update.
The email you got telling you about 6.4 was quite clear.
https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/127
I too have lost my 2x ipod 4th gens, but during beta I asked the question, and was told they would no longer work.
You cannot undo an update, but sonos can if you ask support nicely as they have access to old versions.
To be fair to sonos, chromecast never worked on 6.4.
Luckily I can use the wife's old iphone5 as a dedicated controller.
You would be better off with android controllers as 10yr old ones still work, maybe an amazon fire tablet or similar.