Sonos Update to 3.7 and Linux

• 21 March 2012
  • 72 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

72 replies

Hi guys, I want to share with you the partial solution I found:

I'm not too sure what you think this is a solution for...

This thread is primarily about being able to run the Desktop Controller GUI app on a Linux desktop.

What you are describing seems an excessively clunky, error-prone, and unnecessary way to give Sonos the ability to play music files on a Linux system.

If you want to be able to access the files on a Linux desktop (or server) you simply install the Samba server on Linux, set up the music folder as a share, and point Sonos at it. You've been able to do this since the day Sonos launched.

Or am I missing something?

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
Hello Majik, you are absolutely right: I was trying to do exactly what you wrote. The problem is that since many attempts the Android App couldn't find the Linux pc with the folders shared through Samba. Maybe I wrote the wrong path in the "add new share" box or... I don't know, but just now I can add the folders in the right way, as you said... Up to now I was searching for different ways, and between these I found the "partial solution" I wrote in my last topic.
I apologize for the off topic and I thank you very much for the answer.
Userlevel 2
To all Sonos works fine with the latest version using wine AND playonlinux. After installing wine and playonlinux, run playonlinux make sure you have installed wine engine version 1.7.0. Then run install and select use a different version of wine and check against install libraries.
When a list of libraries is shown put a check against dotnet4, msxmsl3 and tahoma font then next. Let it do its bit then click browse and select the sonosinstaller.exe then next and go through the standard sonos installer. When it asks for a shortcut select sonos.exe then next. After this a shortcut will be placed on your desktop. Double click to use! Works fine
Userlevel 2
To all Sonos works fine with the latest version using wine AND playonlinux.

I've tried many times before to get the new DCR to work, but always by manually performing the steps that PlayOnLinux so nicely automates.

For the heck of it, I decided to follow your instructions anyway to see if they would work. You detailed everything so nicely that I was feeling quite optimistic.

Well, I followed them to the letter and was able, as always, to get the package to install. Unfortunately, however, the Sonos binary still dumps core as soon as it tries to progress beyond the splash screen.

The only difference between my system and your instructions is that I'm running WINE 1.7.1, but I've had similar results in the past, all the way back to 1.5.x. I don't think my newer version of WINE is the issue.

Oh well. Thanks for posting, anyway. Presumably these instructions will work for others, too, but not for me, I'm afraid.

Back to 3.6.1 with the hacked pcdcr.dll.
Userlevel 2
Sorry mate i have no idea what your problem is there. I am running Ubuntu 13.04 with nvidia 550gti card. Runs great here found the sonos after initial setup and plays fine
Userlevel 2
Badge
Thanks Bladeforce. It worked for me. My hard drive had died so it was on a fresh install of Ubuntu 13.10.
To all Sonos works fine with the latest version using wine AND playonlinux. After installing wine and playonlinux, run playonlinux make sure you have installed wine engine version 1.7.0. Then run install and select use a different version of wine and check against install libraries.
When a list of libraries is shown put a check against dotnet4, msxmsl3 and tahoma font then next. Let it do its bit then click browse and select the sonosinstaller.exe then next and go through the standard sonos installer. When it asks for a shortcut select sonos.exe then next. After this a shortcut will be placed on your desktop. Double click to use! Works fine

This worked for me! Ubuntu 13.04
Thanks
Userlevel 2
I had a similar problem, followed the instructions on appdb and Sonos was crashing immediately after splash screen. I chased error messages for a while and found I needed three additional pieces. I now have it working under wine 1.6 in debian jessie

1: ntlm_auth
for me this meant installing the windbind package

2: fonts
I had to install corefonts via winetricks

3: mscms.dll
For me this was in a separate package called libwine-cms which I had to install.

I've tried many times before to get the new DCR to work, but always by manually performing the steps that PlayOnLinux so nicely automates.

For the heck of it, I decided to follow your instructions anyway to see if they would work. You detailed everything so nicely that I was feeling quite optimistic.

Well, I followed them to the letter and was able, as always, to get the package to install. Unfortunately, however, the Sonos binary still dumps core as soon as it tries to progress beyond the splash screen.

The only difference between my system and your instructions is that I'm running WINE 1.7.1, but I've had similar results in the past, all the way back to 1.5.x. I don't think my newer version of WINE is the issue.

Oh well. Thanks for posting, anyway. Presumably these instructions will work for others, too, but not for me, I'm afraid.

Back to 3.6.1 with the hacked pcdcr.dll.
Userlevel 2
I finally have the overhauled DCR working in Fedora 19, but cannot access any music services that require a user name and password.

Clearly, some module or other is either not installed or not working correctly.

Have any of you encountered and surmounted this particular obstacle?
Thanks @ Ian for your great instruction getting DCR 361 run under Wine.

In former posts, you mentioned that music services interface has changed in later versions.
Thats why I guess I cannot access spotify for example.

Do I get your last post right? You managed to get 5.4 running, but still no music services?
So putting more effort in getting 5.4 run under wine would be silly?

Is there any solution to access music services under linux?
Thats the reason I bought my connect. Didnt expect that there is no webinterace/linux support...
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have a really old PC from 1999, running a very cut down version of XP (No .net). I have been using this Sonos 3.6 and updating the version number - works a treat until the last couple of revisions. There now appears to be an extra digit in the version number. It got to version 31.9-26010, but now it is 33.15-32291. I have used Hexedit and used up an extra dot after the version number for this extra digit. It works but crashes on exit. Any ideas?
Userlevel 2
Hello,

Unfortunately, WINE will no longer be able to be used due to the requirements of the Sonos Controller for PC (.NET 4.0 and Windows Presentation Foundation).

-Clay
Userlevel 2
I was able to install the sonos controller 3.7 using wine 1.4 and the latest winetricks script for dotnet40. It fails to render the splash screen and crashes right after showing the main window (before drawing anything into it).

It doesn't seem impossible in the long run, but I am for now forced to use the Android controller.
Userlevel 2
Hello,

Unfortunately, WINE will no longer be able to be used due to the requirements of the Sonos Controller for PC (.NET 4.0 and Windows Presentation Foundation).

-Clay

How should I now control my sonos system?
Is there a way to downgrade to 3.6 again?
Userlevel 2
really disappointed today, that is not fair.
Now i can't use my desktop computer anymore to control my music 😞
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
really disappointed today, that is not fair.

Not fair? I know of very few commercial products that promise to support Wine, and certainly Sonos doesn't. Maybe "unfortunate" would be more accurate than "not fair".

Isn't Wine only for people who hate the man so much that they choose to have software not work, rather than give evil APPL or MSOFT any $$$?

Also, for Linux support wouldn't one normally expect the FOSS community to provide an open source alternative controller that was Linux native? I think all the protocols are freely available.
Userlevel 2
Not fair? I know of very few commercial products that promise to support Wine, and certainly Sonos doesn't. Maybe "unfortunate" would be more accurate than "not fair".

It worked before. It doesn't now. That's what seems unfair to him.

I agree, though, that it's more unfortunate than unfair, because the fact that it ever worked was good fortune, not because of anything Sonos had actively done.

Isn't Wine only for people who hate the man so much that they choose to have software not work, rather than give evil APPL or MSOFT any $$$?

Is that a serious question? I'll answer it, just in case.

WINE is for anyone who needs to run a Windows app, for whatever reason.

In the Sonos world, WINE is needed to run the Windows controller, because Sonos provides neither a Linux controller nor, more sensibly, a platform-independent controller.

Also, for Linux support wouldn't one normally expect the FOSS community to provide an open source alternative controller that was Linux native? I think all the protocols are freely available.

No, one wouldn't "expect" that. No-one in the world of open source is obliged to provide anyone else with code, particularly when there was no need until a few hours ago, because the proprietary controller worked fine under WINE.

As it happens, the old pre-3.7 DCR can be made to continue to work, but I'll post about that separately.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
You are basically right - sorry about that.

But Wine is certainly not for "anyone who wants to run a Windows app". I run Windows apps all the time, and I've never use Wine.

I ordered a copy of Windows from newegg.com. It seems to run all my Windows software just fine.

I think even on a machine that naively boots linux you can run a VM that hosts Windows, yes?

So, if you remove my ill advised sarcasm, I guess I'm asking: if you want to run the desktop Sonos clients, why not use one of the operating systems that host it reliably?
Userlevel 2
You are basically right - sorry about that.

But Wine is certainly not for "anyone who wants to run a Windows app". I run Windows apps all the time, and I've never use Wine.

Anyone on a platform that runs WINE, but not Windows. Better?:)

I think even on a machine that naively boots linux you can run a VM that hosts Windows, yes?

Indeed, if you have the VM and a copy of Windows to run on it.

So, if you remove my ill advised sarcasm, I guess I'm asking: if you want to run the desktop Sonos clients, why not use one of the operating systems that host it reliably?

Purchase a copy of Windows and run it under a resource-hungry VM, just so that one can use the desktop controller? I think you're probably pulling my plonka again, but here are just a handful of reasons:

1. Windows is expensive.
2. Sonos don't support that configuration any more than they support WINE.
3. There are likely to be UPnP issues.
4. The old 3.6 controller can be made to work under WINE.
Userlevel 2
Badge +6
You own ten Sonos zone players and you think Windows is expensive? I'm not buying it.

Sure a VM is not supported, but they tend to always work. More than Wine does. Agreed?

Sure an old version worked. So what?

Do you have a reason to think UPNP wouldn't work?

I run WinXP in VMWare on my work computer. I'll try bringing it home and see if Sonos Controller runs on it, if you are interested.
Userlevel 2
Crazy as this may sound, Linux is just some people's preferred OS!

I'm a developer and all my computers are dual boot into Windows 7 & Linux... honestly day in day out I prefer using Linux.

As such, I'd love to continue to be able to use Sonos in Linux to save me having to reboot into Windows each time for a simple task like changing music. It has zero to do with money - it's preference and convenience...

If you could tell us how to downgrade to 3.6 in Linux I'd be very grateful! ;-)

Many Thanks