SONOS. STOP THE UPDATES

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

You have the symptoms of a network problem, specifically dupliicate IP assignments. A network refresh by rebooting every network device, followed by assigning permanent IP addresses to your Sonos units in your router setup, will stop it from happening again. I did this years ago, and never have a problem with updates, even while on beta.

Okay, will try static IPs and see what happens. Thanks for the suggest.
Thanks Ken. I have done with with other devices such as my IP security cams and generator monitor. I found the happy spot in my Hitron cable modem to make the reservations however the host names for the Sonos speakers register as 'unknown' and therefore the modem will only make a reservation on one host name called 'unknown'. It is coming to the time to put the darn think into passthrough mode and put a better router in place. It is too bad that static IP addresses cannot be configured at the Sonos devices. My DHCP table is set up to .199 and then my static devices are above that. The advice given by both of you is spot on as the more I observe the problem the more I think my router is dropping the speakers when it renews the leases.
Userlevel 3
Badge
simply turn off automatic updates. Problem solved. Life will be groovy.
ALL UPDATES DISABLED ON ALL DEVICES. Yet...Happened again this morning.
simply turn off automatic updates. Problem solved. Life will be groovy.
ALL UPDATES DISABLED ON ALL DEVICES. Yet...Happened again this morning.

There hasn't been an update for weeks.

And in case you haven't noticed, Sonos is not a toaster or a washing machine (even though there are many major appliances that require updates nowadays, like refrigerators, TV's and yes, washing machines).
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos is not a toaster or a washing machine.
Sonos are speakers. Speakers are an appliance, "like" a toaster. This is called an analogy.

Sonos are speakers. Speakers are an appliance, "like" a toaster. This is called an analogy.

Modern appliances have updates. This is called a fact.

Don't like it? Don't buy modern appliances.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos deems? You mean Apple deems! So life moves on. No paranoia just adjust to the times.

Effectively Apple is not supporting a ton of devices because of airplay2 appears. And Sonos is adding airplay2. Huh wonder if a device may not be capable of handling the new coding? Go figure.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
I don't mind the updates, it's killing controllers every couple of years that takes some getting used to, unless you are the sort to buy the latest iphone every year. It's an un-expected cost to us old guys. Especially when google play still works great from Samsung tablet that is dead to sonos. If google can still make it work, why can't sonos?

Luckily my 2 daughters must have latest ones, so I have their old phones to use when the iphone5 gets dropped in July.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
That’s why androids make better controllers. They tend to last longer before android obsoletes them. And they do direct sonosnet connection.