SONOS. STOP THE UPDATES

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
DHCP often doesn't "just work" because many routers don't keep track of the leases that devices have been given if the router is rebooted. For example... some cable modem/router combo devices will reboot if the cable provider does maintenance in the middle of the night. If this happens, your devices still have their leases from before the reboot, but the router has lost track of what has been given out. So the next time a device asks for a lease, the router might be giving that device the address that a different device had received before the router rebooted, causing an IP address conflict.

DHCP reservations (or static DHCP) are usually saved to the router's storage, so they persist across reboots. Some routers even make you assign addresses outside of the normal DHCP pool, so there's not even a remote chance that something else could be given the address.
Userlevel 1
Not sure why DHCP shouldn't "just work" but I will try assigning static IPs to each speaker. Thanks for the tip.
There is absolutely no reason why you need to add a speaker back to the system after moving it. Just plug it in and gfive it a minute or so to re-acclimate. If you constantly need to re-add. then you are suffering from IP conflicts. A network refresh, followed by reserving IP addresses in your router for all Sonos products will solve the problem.
Userlevel 1
I've used Sonos for a pretty long time, probably 5 years now. I have to say I _totally_ agree with the OP here There are far too many updates. Typically, I am required to take the update because I want to add a speaker. I often need to re-add a speaker because I've moved the speaker or the speaker has lost power. For example I power off my entertainment center via switch on surge suppressor. Sometimes Sonos will add the component back but most of the time I need to install the update, press the speaker button, go back to me PC, press the speaker button, etc. And now I need to remember a password as well? OMFG. All in all it is constant drip drip drop of annoyance. I retrospect I regret the purchase, I should have spent the money on a wired system.
lol. Pretty sure his comment was in jest. I just got my RV set ready for the road and had to update the four pieces after their long winter's nap and all ten pieces updated in just a couple of minutes with barely any input from me. I couldn't be more thrilled with the update process.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
[/quote]Two minutes? What kind of serious multi-room installation can be updated in two minutes? If you can update that fast its time to ask yourself if you really even need a 32 zone capable multi-room product like Sonos.[/quote]

So if I am understanding you correctly, if a consumer is only using this for let’s say a home theater or audio in 4 or 5 rooms of their home, it is not worth buying? You’re saying that Sonos is only “worth” it if you are installing in an office building or public venue settings? If this is what you are alluding too, that’s the most preposterous thing I have ever heard. This is BY FAR the easiest multi room audio source in the world. It should not matter if you have a single Play 1 or 32 Play 5s. It’s convenience and quality that attracts the Sonos market.
I will keep in mind your reasoning though the next time I am shopping for a car. There surely is no need to buy a vehicle with a 32 gallon gas tank if I only drive the vehicle in town for errands. You may have just saved me a boat load of money and also 15% on my car insurance!
I wondered the same thing. Is the two minutes of silence really that threatening to your personal ecosystem? You can always decline the update when it prompts you. I’ve never had one run amok on me to the point of needing to post about it.

Two minutes? What kind of serious multi-room installation can be updated in two minutes? If you can update that fast its time to ask yourself if you really even need a 32 zone capable multi-room product like Sonos.
I wondered the same thing. Is the two minutes of silence really that threatening to your personal ecosystem? You can always decline the update when it prompts you. I’ve never had one run amok on me to the point of needing to post about it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
This was just brought up in a different thread. As all the others have stated in that thread, simply turn off automatic updates. Problem solved. Life will be groovy.
I don’t for the life of me know what the hub bub is with updating the Sonos gear? Maybe my system may differ, but the update takes just a couple minutes of my precious time. It’s just like my iPad, iPhones and any other electronic device; they must stay updated to work smoothly, no?
The updates may be a good thing....while it updates, enjoy the silence. We don’t get much time to do that in this busy busy world.