Answered

SONOS speakers largely under-exploited.

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

61 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

While I can see where you are coming from and understand your strong desire for more control; I can also see the desire for simplicity. As someone who has never touched an equalizer in my life (both in cars or with high end audio equipment) I rely on how it was originally done and dare I say trust that they are optimizing it for what the artist had in mind. I would also say that the Sonos staff are extremely dedicated to optimizing each music experience and style on their equipment prior to production. Not sure the style of music you prefer but try Sonos Radio HD or one of the other hi-def services and you will be blown away with what some of those speakers produce. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Some years back I had a Linn system. No tone controls or equaliser there, in a system costing more than I care to admit just for music in one room - quite a bit more than £3.5k. And they’re not the only audiophile company offering amps without tone controls or equalisers. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sonos.acr2&hl=en_CA&gl=US&showAllReviews=true

Please point me to the pile of complaints. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@John B 

Just because it is a mass market system not mean that we have to do things in a sloppy way. I still paid 3k+ for this system, the basic functionalities must be found there, and customers must not always have to take the seller by the hand while making complaints, the seller must always go ahead customer expectations if it wants to ensure its future, not wait for complaints to pile up.

The forum isn't exactly under siege from people demanding this feature. 99.9% of its customers would ignore it. As they probably do on other brands that have this feature.

In the world of hifi, Sonos is a mid to low priced mass market consumer product . As Bruce said, it isn't aimed at audiophiles. 

Sonos turns a deaf ear to its customers, sad.

You aren’t the first person to make this request, but the request isn’t really made all that often.  Seems like you might be exaggerating the customer cry out for this feature a little bit here. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Airgetlam

A 10-band digital equalizer has absolutely nothing to do with audiophiles, it is a basic option that any sound system needs. Even all smart phones players have one, have a look in your android or apple music app.  I don't understand your reasoning of depriving hundreds of thousands of people of basic functionality just in case some don't know how to use it. Those who don't want to use it just don't have to enable it THAT’S IT!
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
@John B , equalizers have been used all over the world for many years. It has nothing to do with music producers. Every room, every place, every type of speakers and music requires adjustments. A producer cannot create music that will perfect fit on all speakers around the world the first time, that's why the equalizer was invented (analog and digital). In this case, we are talking about digital with sonos we can not even adjust the MID freqences. This is the basis of music! Sonos sells us a Ferrari but we can't adjust the mirrors. Sonos turns a deaf ear to its customers, sad.

I would also, and have on many occasions, suggest that the market being targeted by Sonos is not the so called “audiophile” market, but the larger “ease of use” market, so that more people can “just use it” rather than fiddle with all sorts of random settings.  This gives them a wider opportunity to make money, in smaller amounts, amongst a wider audience. The “audiophile” market seems to prey more on smaller numbers, and higher profit margins on each sale. 

Do you not think that the differences in sound needed by different genres might have been taken into account by the sound engineers in mastering the music?

An equaliser just gives you an almost infinite number of ways to screw up the sound.

It's not for me, but then I am not an audiophile.