Answered

Sonos S2 system not working well

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

63 replies

I also had major problems after upgrading the system to S2 today, with only one of my five speakers (IKEA Symfonisk) appearing in the app. The others did show up randomly – but not consistently, and the whole system was laggy and unreliable.

It seems the problem was in that a few weeks ago I had connected (the only visible) speaker with an ethernet cable, thinking it would auto-disable the WiFi on the speaker. It turned out this was not the case, but you’ll need to disable the WiFi manually through the Sonos app. After disabling the unnecessary WiFi connection, everything just started to work as expected, and the rest of the speakers showed up. For some reason, this caused major issues only after the S2 upgrade.

Hope this helps someone with similar issues. It would certainly help if the Sonos app would give more useful debug information when things are not working...

Thank you Sonos!

I was having major issues similar to the above comments in this thread… I came here looking about a month ago in an effort to find out what I could do to get my Sonos back to its former reliable selft. Since upgrading to Sonos 2 a few months back it has been nothing but hair pulling… Until.. I download the latest update about a couple of weeks back. Instantly fixed all issues!.. No more wifi dropping out, no more speakers not appearing, no more “app cant find a sono system” issues.

My love for this system has be rejuvenated. :-*

Userlevel 1

Hello, please find the screen below which comes from my router.

Line 2 and 4 are 2 Sonos speakers which disconnect alle the time. But loo at the signal strenght, which is around 90%.

Therefore i think that the issues come from the S2 firmware, as ive said i never experienced this before.

Userlevel 1

Hereby a screenshot of the 'about my system' part in the Sonos app. No info for now, IT should come up in a few minutes. The speaker is Just a few meters away from a Netgear r7000 router with a hoge wifi range. 

When im 20 meters away outside,  still have wifi connection on my other devices. On the S1 Sonos firmware i never had these issues.

Userlevel 1

Hi all,

I am having similar issues. Since the upgrade to S2 i have wifi and sonosnet connectivity problems.

The speakers are Just a few meters apart from each other but the network is far from stable now.

I have tried different methods: sonosnet, wifi on different channels, reboot speakers, modem and reset factory settings etc etc but the app still reacts laggy and buggy.

I have no Idea what to do now.

The S2 controller/Firmware update has had no issues whatsoever for me.  Obviously different users have different setups, and I can only speak for myself.

But I stick by my claim that if there were really generic bugs in S2 there would be VASTLY more complaints about it on this forum.

As an example, the Arc launched with a bug affecting the base in certain circumstances.  At this point the proportion of all users who were affected was minuscule, but within days there were hundreds of posts.  If S2 were generically and seriously buggy, there would be millions of users affected.  The forum would be swamped.  It isn’t.

Userlevel 2

are you out of your mind with that response? I’ve been a network admin for 25 years, I know it’s not my network. We’re all having the exact same issues after upgrading. How dare you come and piss all over our issues just because yours works fine. You're the worst kinda internet troll. Piss off, there is a problem with the app update %100. going from S1 to S2. I’m listening to constant dropouts and the app itself slow down and locks up.

In my long experience on this forum providing helpful advice (not trolling) I have learned that someone being in netwrk admin makes it less likely, not more likely, that they will be correct about the nature of the problem.  I am not p***ing on your problems either - just pointing out that ff you don’t tackle whatever is causing the problems you are experiencing, but just call on Sonos to ‘fix’ it, you are never gong to find a solution.

And for a start, the app is just a remote control, so what you are doing if you blame the app update is the equivalent of blaming your TV remote because there is a problem with your  TV. 

The app update also upgrades the firmware on the speakers, which was a major upgrade and affected the functioning of the speakers

I won’t get into flame war with you but the S2 controller/Firmware update has serious issues.

Badge

curious to know if your stuff is the newer models or so-called legacy products. 

in other words, do the current models avoid  the problem. 

No it’s all S2 gen stuff. 

curious to know if your stuff is the newer models or so-called legacy products. 

in other words, do the current models avoid  the problem. 

Badge

Adding my voice to this. 
I thought S2 would be a more reliable platform, but it’s much worse. 
I have 5 speakers through my house on Sonosnet, with a boost. 
Basic things like pressing Pause do not work reliably. The current input takes ages to show on the app. Adjusting the volume is laggy. Sometimes when you open the app, your previous volume settings apply and all of a sudden the volume jumps up. It’s ridiculous.
Please put your software development energy into making play controls and volume adjustment work smoothly instead of pointless crap like the current updates have given us. 

i am having a similar issue.

i am convinced the S2 upgrade degrades the wifi connectivity. Units  that worked perfectly no longer connect  after the upgrade in their identical locations. When Imove them closer to the router they connect; move them back and no more.

what a disgrace !

Userlevel 2

I will give that all a try and report back. Thank you for the detailed explanation

As a bit more explanation,  there are features of most mesh systems that don't sit well with Sonos in WiFi mode. For example, satellites using different wireless channels prevent the direct routing that Sonos uses, and this can degrade performance. It doesn't mean Sonos is buggy and it doesn't mean there is any fault in the network.  But it may still be problematic. SonosNet gets round most such issues. 

What an update can do is disrupt an apparently stable setup, what with all the reboots. That is what may have happened here.

I can't be sure what is causing your problems or promise my suggestions will fix them,  but they might.

OK. Now please bumour me even if you don't see the sense in this. Take one of your Sonos speakers and connect it by Ethernet to your router, even if it means moving it from where you want it, just as an experiment. Don't place it right next to the router - leave a 3 foot distance if possible.

Then go into the Sonos app Settings, System, Network, Wireless Setup and remove (reset) your network SSID and password from Sonos. 

Wait a couple of minutes then look in the app to see if all speakers are present. Any that are not, power them off and on.

Can you fix the 2.4GHz channel on Orbi or does it have to be automatic? If you can fix it, choose 1, 6 or 11 then make sure Sonos is on a different channel. ( in Network Settings).

Basically I am switching you to a SonosNet setup. What surprises me is not that you are having problems with S2 but that you didn't have problems with the old app and system. 

Please give it a try and see if stability improves.

Userlevel 2

Yes just Orbi, all wifi. 

Hi. The app does none of that, the system does, and in the same way S1 did.

First question.  Do you have any Sonos device wired to your network, or does everything connect via WiFi?

Second question. It is pure Orbi, no other router involved?

Userlevel 2

Of course I'll help, that's why I spent the time to post.

I have an Orbi with 3 satellites, one  being an outdoor satellite. I have three play 1, one play 3,  one play 5, with  the sub connected to it and now Sonos move.

when I got the Sonos move I upgraded from s1 to S2. And that's when all the problems started. I had no issues before going to S2.  And it makes no sense to me why upgrading the app has started causing dropouts and lag issues. But it did. I don't know what their app does and how it communicates and configures all the speakers and keeps them in sync etc. 

So @bluezapfel , if you want to tell us about your network and Sonos set up, there are people on here ready to try to help - with no guarantee of course.  Mesh or conventional?  Access points, extenders, EoP?  Wifi or SonosNet?

are you out of your mind with that response? I’ve been a network admin for 25 years, I know it’s not my network. We’re all having the exact same issues after upgrading. How dare you come and piss all over our issues just because yours works fine. You're the worst kinda internet troll. Piss off, there is a problem with the app update %100. going from S1 to S2. I’m listening to constant dropouts and the app itself slow down and locks up.

In my long experience on this forum providing helpful advice (not trolling) I have learned that someone being in netwrk admin makes it less likely, not more likely, that they will be correct about the nature of the problem.  I am not p***ing on your problems either - just pointing out that ff you don’t tackle whatever is causing the problems you are experiencing, but just call on Sonos to ‘fix’ it, you are never gong to find a solution.

And for a start, the app is just a remote control, so what you are doing if you blame the app update is the equivalent of blaming your TV remote because there is a problem with your  TV. 

Userlevel 2

Thanks @Annazel S 

Diagnostic: 1138041335

@benjamindm - It won’t matter whether your PC/MAC controller is connected to 2.4/5Ghz or wired.

The issue I’m seeing with S2 isn’t in the controls but it’s the communications between the speakers. 

You can try using a S2 client on your phone when the speakers drop off on your Mac Client, chances are it won’t be on there either.

Userlevel 2

Add me to the group with lag and dropouts since moving to the new App. Please fix this!! I already have all my sonos using reserved IP’s.

Every time there is an app update, a vanishingly small, miniscule proportion of the Sonos user base comes on the forum and says 'the update is full of bugs'. It never is. S2 is working fine for me and the many other friends and family who have Sonos systems. 

If it was inherently full of bugs then we would all be having problems. We aren't . QED.

Userlevel 2

Add me to the group with lag and dropouts since moving to the new App. Please fix this!! I already have all my sonos using reserved IP’s.

Depends on your router, actually. Some seem to block signals across the two bands, but most don’t. You could easily just test, and maybe read the router’s manual to see there’s a setting for that. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Right, but does my laptop have to also be on the 2.4Ghz network?