Answered

Sonos on Ubuntu/Linux + Spotify

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

which of the ~2,300 varieties of Linux would you suggest Sonos support, on which CPU? Sonos don’t even support Windows very well these days, and there are hundreds of millions of Windows users.

Perhaps the Debian-based and RPM-based distros on x86 and x86-64 would be a good start? But yeah, maybe not feasible.

Anyway, noson worked perfectly fine with Ubuntu (18.04) at least. Being sober helped.

https://www.ubuntupit.com/how-to-install-sonos-controller-app-noson-in-ubuntu/

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I put my copy on a Raspberry Pi and loaded VNC on the PI so I can screen-share from any of my computers without needing to load it everywhere.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve been keeping up with the Alpha and Beta releases and been pretty happy with them, the Beta 2 though has a glitch on my setup and isn’t populating the Rooms box. I submitted a bug report, ping me if you need any more info.

My biggest issue is setup, I have to keep doing it over when I upgrade the Pi’s OS or manage to destroy the memory card so I’d say a “Settings Import / Export” would be first on my list. If It would also allow me to clone one setup to multiple Pi that would be second on my list.

Badge +1

How do I get ‘stack traces’?  

ctrl+shift+i should open the developer tools, alternatively there’s a menu option for that.

There you find a tab called console. Anything red in there is something that failed. If it has an Error in it, you’ll see where the error was generated and what might have lead to it. Looks similar to this.

Badge +1

I’ve been keeping up with the Alpha and Beta releases and been pretty happy with them, the Beta 2 though has a glitch on my setup and isn’t populating the Rooms box. I submitted a bug report, ping me if you need any more info.

My biggest issue is setup, I have to keep doing it over when I upgrade the Pi’s OS or manage to destroy the memory card so I’d say a “Settings Import / Export” would be first on my list. If It would also allow me to clone one setup to multiple Pi that would be second on my list.

Hey, just force pushed a patch to the beta2 release. Can you re-download and re-test?

Not sure I understand the setup bit. What steps do you go through exactly when setting up the app?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks!.

Have run into a problem - now, no players are showing ...

Please take any issues over to the github page. I fear things will get lost over here.

Also, If you run into trouble and the app crashes, ctrl+R will reload the window.

I’m happy to help with reports and testing …. but I’d prefer not tto have to deal with github (just another badly organised website where you need a PhD to figure what goes where, why and when - this Sonos site is bad enough!).  I’ll just roll back to an earlier beta, until it gets fixed at some point.

Cheers.

I have created a simple sonos linux controller. It’s not meant to be player (like unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux). But it might help you if you just want to skip a song or change the volume. 

open-sonos-controller release

Any suggestions and feature requests are welcome.

Also I only have 3 rooms and only sonos playbar for tv watching, which seems to be discontinued.
Help with testing on the newer hardware would be great. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What operating system?

I’m using the sonos-controller-unofficial-0.2.0-beta4-armv7l.AppImage on my Raspberry Pi, just download, set permissions to Executable and either double-click the file or pick it off the Pi main menu.

Maybe just unzip it if you are on Windows and try double-clicking the app file?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What operating system?

I’m using the (Arm v7 filename deleted to bypass moderation) on my Raspberry Pi, just download, set permissions to Executable and either double-click the file or pick it off the Pi main menu.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I surrender, wait for the moderators to allow one of my posts, not trying a fourth time.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What operating system?

I’m using the sonos-controller-unofficial-0.2.0-beta4-armv7l.AppImage on my Raspberry Pi, just download, set permissions to Executable and either double-click the file or pick it off the Pi main menu.

It’s Linux - debian.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

All the following in RED

[Content removed because somebody objected to my asking for assistance]

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks.  The Boost no longer shows!

Any chance of adding the equaliser panel ?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What operating system?

It’s Linux - debian.

It's working - the trick to get the deb version was to look in assets at github.

Strangely, this version lists my Boost as a player device!