Answered

Sonos on Ubuntu/Linux + Spotify

Did a search for a Sonos + Linux but all threads were archived.

I want to add a +1 for Linux support.

I’m probably an idiot and missed something. I main Linux, and while my Sonos device shows up in Spotify in Linux it never connects, regardless of network (2.4 or 5).. I tried various 3rd party addons and could probably make it work, but why make it such a hassle for Linux users. In Windows the Sonos deivce works perfectly in Spotify as expected.

Love your product, the physical quality and the sound quality, but it’s annoying having to reboot into Windows to listen to music (especially when shitfaced). I would love to extend my Sonos speakers system. but the hassle just makes me ponder Bluetooth speakers instead.

By now, isn’t there enough Linux users to warrant Sonos integration? Again, maybe I missed something.

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 4 March 2020, 22:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

I have created a simple sonos linux controller. It’s not meant to be player (like unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux). But it might help you if you just want to skip a song or change the volume. 

open-sonos-controller release

Any suggestions and feature requests are welcome.

Also I only have 3 rooms and only sonos playbar for tv watching, which seems to be discontinued.
Help with testing on the newer hardware would be great. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

controlav, that sounds like a good idea, I’ll make new comments, requests and reports to the github project instead of here. 

-----

For folks not familiar with github.com it is really easy to use to submit issues or download software.

Unofficial App Download page: Sonos Releases

I think you need a free github account to submit issues or comments there.

Unofficial App Issues page: Sonos Issues

Look for a previous report of your issue and click it or click the New Issue button to start a new one.

Keeping the work over there is a really good idea as it will be less confusing for folks using the Official Sonos Apps and will make it easier for pascalopitz / pascalo to keep track of things.

Badge +1

@controlav Thanks for the heads up. Over to github it is. @castalla Sorry, won’t look at error reports etc here. Maybe also remove the lengthy state dump and stack trace comments as they clutter up the thread?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Excuse me but I got into a lot of trouble for using this forum as a support forum for my Sonos apps, and it was a lot less than this thread. Please take this level of discussion elsewhere.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

All the following in RED

[Content removed because somebody objected to my asking for assistance]

Badge +1

How do I get ‘stack traces’?  

ctrl+shift+i should open the developer tools, alternatively there’s a menu option for that.

There you find a tab called console. Anything red in there is something that failed. If it has an Error in it, you’ll see where the error was generated and what might have lead to it. Looks similar to this.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Boost not displayed in beta8, but ...

Strange characters in playlist display:

Also, the main screen shows Line-in.  My devices don’t have this, so is it possible to remove from the menu?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

@castalla Ok, got ya. Well, keep posting them here, that’s better than me not finding out about issues.

Out of interest, do you have the same problem with the beta8?

If so, could you do me a favour and check for stack traces in the developer tools?

Finally, you could try to use the Developer Tools→Application→ local storage and remove the entry called “zone” and see if that helps?

Mixed results … it finds the sonos system intermittently.   Connects every other run (?)

How do I get ‘stack traces’?  

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks again.  Will try the beta 8 today and report back.

Badge +1

@castalla Ok, got ya. Well, keep posting them here, that’s better than me not finding out about issues.

Out of interest, do you have the same problem with the beta8?

If so, could you do me a favour and check for stack traces in the developer tools?

Finally, you could try to use the Developer Tools→Application→ local storage and remove the entry called “zone” and see if that helps?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks!.

Have run into a problem - now, no players are showing ...

Please take any issues over to the github page. I fear things will get lost over here.

Also, If you run into trouble and the app crashes, ctrl+R will reload the window.

I’m happy to help with reports and testing …. but I’d prefer not tto have to deal with github (just another badly organised website where you need a PhD to figure what goes where, why and when - this Sonos site is bad enough!).  I’ll just roll back to an earlier beta, until it gets fixed at some point.

Cheers.

Badge +1

Thanks!.

Please take any issues over to the github page. I fear things will get lost over here.

Also, If you run into trouble and the app crashes, ctrl+R will reload the window.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks!.

[Content removed because somebody objected to my request for assistance]

Badge +1

Any chance of adding the equaliser panel ?

I made a ticket. Will look into it.

https://github.com/pascalopitz/unoffical-sonos-controller-for-linux/issues/84

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Thanks.  The Boost no longer shows!

Any chance of adding the equaliser panel ?

Badge +1

@castalla I pushed beta 6 as a release, which hopefully addresses the Boost showing up. Let me know.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I fooled with this a bit, I can’t play from the selection list but I can add a track to the queue and play it from there. Added my data to the open Amazon Music bug report.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I figured it out - thanks.

The listed players/rooms shows my Boost …. ???

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What operating system?

I’m using the sonos-controller-unofficial-0.2.0-beta4-armv7l.AppImage on my Raspberry Pi, just download, set permissions to Executable and either double-click the file or pick it off the Pi main menu.

Maybe just unzip it if you are on Windows and try double-clicking the app file?

It’s Linux - debian.

It's working - the trick to get the deb version was to look in assets at github.

Strangely, this version lists my Boost as a player device!

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

What operating system?

I’m using the sonos-controller-unofficial-0.2.0-beta4-armv7l.AppImage on my Raspberry Pi, just download, set permissions to Executable and either double-click the file or pick it off the Pi main menu.

It’s Linux - debian.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I surrender, wait for the moderators to allow one of my posts, not trying a fourth time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What operating system?

I’m using the (Arm v7 filename deleted to bypass moderation) on my Raspberry Pi, just download, set permissions to Executable and either double-click the file or pick it off the Pi main menu.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

What operating system?

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I installed this ages ago (probably via debian).  Linux Mint 19.

I have no idea how to install this latest beta … all I get is a zip file ???

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Grabbed that Beta-4 this morning, basic operations look great but I’m out of time to do test to a new OS, will get that done soon. Thanks for the feature it will save me much aggravation.