Sonos no longer support IOS streaming

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

83 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
What is more incredible is people not reading the explanation on why this has become a problem. Apple will have no interest in resolving this as they are now a wireless speaker provider, and besides they have AirPlay 2 for this very purpose. Yes annoying, and apple has history with this sort of thing, and I say that as an iOS user.

i am also amazed that anyone bought a Sonos system based on this unadvertised feature. It came as a surprise when I saw it, never used it either. A nas solution is far more reliable and saves space on my phone.
Userlevel 3
Its incredible that Sonos could not update its architecture for adapting IOS as it is one of the most used sources for music throw iPhone, iPad, etc
Please solve it. I can not expend more money updating Sonos interfaces
Userlevel 4
Badge
Steward123 is entirely correct. The Sonos announcement says "The way this feature was originally architected has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS."

Let me translate. What they are saying is that when they (Sonos) developed the original architecture (design) for this feature, they got it wrong and as a result they are having trouble adapting it for later versions of iOS. This is not an Apple problem as some have stated, it is a Sonos problem.

Rather than invest the time and effort to revise the design of this portion of their app to fix it, Sonos is simply dropping it and in the process abandoning those iPhone users who we early adopters of their excellent product and hence do not have support for the AirPlay feature in their speakers and amps.

I, like Stewart, use my phone as my primary source of music for portability reasons - home, office, car. I, also like Stewart, don't want to subscribe to a streaming service which will replace my song versions with theirs, and reject songs that I have recorded from vinyl records because they don't have an acceptable digital rights signature.

Sonos, do the right thing here and invest the time and effort necessary to fix this issue rather than taking the quick and easy path of dropping a feature that some find very valuable! We have supported you through our purchase of your products. It is time for you to do the right thing and support us.

Thankyou Bob It’s nice to hear somebody else who is not happy about this ,other than earlier posters being up in arms about the fact that some people should feel aggrieved that they will not be able to play their library from the I phone .
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
So Apple makes changes and Sonos decides it can’t be bothered updating software . I use my phone to play my music and no I don’t want to join a streaming service or stream from my Mac. Oh or I could buy a new Sonos speaker that supports AirPlay. Ah ha there’s the logic behind this .

Steward123 is entirely correct. The Sonos announcement says "The way this feature was originally architected has become unreliable with newer versions of iOS."

Let me translate. What they are saying is that when they (Sonos) developed the original architecture (design) for this feature, they got it wrong and as a result they are having trouble adapting it for later versions of iOS. This is not an Apple problem as some have stated, it is a Sonos problem.

Rather than invest the time and effort to revise the design of this portion of their app to fix it, Sonos is simply dropping it and in the process abandoning those iPhone users who we early adopters of their excellent product and hence do not have support for the AirPlay feature in their speakers and amps.

I, like Stewart, use my phone as my primary source of music for portability reasons - home, office, car. I, also like Stewart, don't want to subscribe to a streaming service which will replace my song versions with theirs, and reject songs that I have recorded from vinyl records because they don't have an acceptable digital rights signature.

Sonos, do the right thing here and invest the time and effort necessary to fix this issue rather than taking the quick and easy path of dropping a feature that some find very valuable! We have supported you through our purchase of your products. It is time for you to do the right thing and support us.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Just got the message Sonos will no longer support IOS devices . Looks like it’s time to sell my speakers .

This is factually not true.

Sonos currently supports iOS 10 and higher.

They are just removing one, small, feature. Playing music that is downloaded and stored on the iOS phone or tablet.

Plenty of other ways to listen to your music.

• Music Library
  • Plex Server
  • Upload your music to Google Play Music
  • Line-In
  • Airplay
  • etc.
So Apple makes changes and Sonos decides it can’t be bothered updating software . I use my phone to play my music and no I don’t want to join a streaming service or stream from my Mac. Oh or I could buy a new Sonos speaker that supports AirPlay. Ah ha there’s the logic behind this .
It isn't something Sonos can fix alone. There are plenty of solutions that don't involve buying Sonos gear. But believe what you like. I recommend HomePods.
Userlevel 4
Badge
Hi. First you need to get your facts straight. Sonos is no longer able to supoort playing content stored on iPhones and iPads, as a result of changes Apple has made to iOS. The Sonos app for iOS will still be supported for playing all other sources.

Go ahead and sell. You will be the loser and someone else will benefit.