Sonos no longer support IOS streaming

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

83 replies

OK having a party, sitting on the porch outside or by the pool , having a great time, cranking the tunes....
someone says Play that song ...... Ok Just let me run inside and sit down at the computer and put it on be back in a few..... REALLY ??? Talk about a buzz kill !!!

I have over $10k of Sonos gear in my home and it was great- UNTIL NOW!!!
Can even begin express my disappointment.

NO BLUE TOOTH SOLUTION ?

If you read through the threads it is VERY OBVIOUS that the many PRO CHANGE responses in these various threads are written by SONOS or some PR firm....... Im sure this will be removed now for saying that- but really how could anyone support this change besides Sonos?

From the beginning when this company started I have supported and enthusiastically purchased many products, I have even endorsed Sonos products to many of my Clients in the Hamptons that have AV systems costing 100s of thousands.

I would totally purchase a product that would hack into the software and make my equipment work the way it did in the past. Yes Sonos software has always been its weak spot but being weak is better than just giving up, this was a change that seems totally driven to selling more product.

I won't be surprised if Sonos is soon purchased by one of the big guys that are monopolozing everything..... This certainly seem like a maneuver by a company that is selling out and no longer concerned about its customers that have been with them since the start.

Is there something I am missing?

I will retract my comments immediately and continue to purchase and endorse Sonos products If I am wrong and missing something. Am I missing some silver bullet here? Maybe Sonos needs to hire some 12 year old kid to figure it out.
Userlevel 4
Badge
They made the effort to work with apple to get airplay 2 working because that involves selling more play ones but when it involves retaining a feature that a lot of people bought their speakers for it’s not worth the expense or are Sonos saying it is impossible to resolve , I hadn’t seen that statement . All that a lot of people here are saying is that they want to use their Sonos speakers as they always have .
I suppose i should just accept that Sonos is only concerned about making money which is fine but I did expect some loyalty towards existing customers who bought their equipment to use with their I phones etc .
Solely blaming apple is a lame excuse it would be better to just come out and say “we can’t be bothered sorting this”. I’m beginning to sound like a worn out record now.

I suppose it's a matter of perspective, but I think Sonos stating that changes in iOS are the reason is not the same as casting blame. And Sonos did attempt to resolve the issue for a year. I'm not sure how you can then conclude that Sonos can't be bothered by it.

I get the frustration, and I get why people wish Sonos would just find a way to fix it somehow. I don't get the accusations that Sonos made no effort to fix the issue, or that Sonos has some ulterior motive for removing the feature. If you want to switch to some other brand because Sonos doesn't meet your requirements anymore, then you have all the justification you need to do so without guessing at motives for Sonos decision.
Userlevel 4
Badge
I suppose i should just accept that Sonos is only concerned about making money which is fine but I did expect some loyalty towards existing customers who bought their equipment to use with their I phones etc .
Solely blaming apple is a lame excuse it would be better to just come out and say “we can’t be bothered sorting this”. I’m beginning to sound like a worn out record now.
While I regret as much as all other consumers the removal of essential features, it has been quite clear that Sonos pursues a strategy without compromises. Bluetooth support has never been supported and Airplay was introduced rather late. Upon the arrival of Airplay-support on their devices, I decided to equip my homes with Sonos technology: two Beams and six Ones. Pricy but high end and it does the job for me nicely because my music is stored on a NAS. However, I recently discovered another high end brand (audio pro) but with a controller app which is far from perfect. Although the speaker supports all protocols, including bluetooth and airplay and aux-lines, I still believe Sonos is the better choice for me.
I can only speak for myself. I have Sonos Play 1's in 2 houses. I am disappointed that Sonos won't bother to support customers who play music from their iPhones. Time to get rid of my Sonos equipment.
I have a large number of replies to my account. I would be most happy if I were to be in the employ of Sonos, but alas, I am not. Nor, for that matter are any of the other posters. Sonos has a policy that if you're an employee, your account is marked as such, as you can see by posts by people like Ryan, Jeff, Edward, Ditte, etc.

I've no desire to attack anyone. My objective, as most of the large number of posts people you may be talking about, is to assist others in enjoying the outstanding system that Sonos makes. To my knowledge, none of these folks are paid by Sonos, they're just people who like to help others. However, many of us do feel beholden to correct postings that have incorrect information in them, so that others are aware of the facts, rather than speculation fed by anger.

I want to share the options that people have to continue to use their Sonos devices that they've invested in, and can take just a little time, or even if you want, some additional money invested....but that's not required. I suggest that those who are interested in continuing to use the speakers they've invested in, they should peruse the main thread on this situation, which offers, and discusses many options, ranging from free to not?
Badge
Notice how all the people on this forum who are defending Sonos have a huge number of replies, it's because they work for Sonos and spend all their time on this forum. There are definitely a huge number of aggrieved Sonos Play:1 users who have lost functionality with their iPhones. It's so telling that Sonos employees spread disinformation and attack people, rather than working with Sonos to address the legitimate concerns and problems of their consumers.
Thanks so much for clarifying this point!
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yes. You would Airplay your music to the new player and group the new player with your existing Sonos players.
So, just to be sure, adding just 1 x Airplay compatible speaker to my set-up would allow me to continue streaming music stored on my iPhone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The least expensive Sonos speaker is called One. This speaker is Airplay capable.

An other option would be buying the Ikea "by Sonos" Symfonisk Bookshelf speaker. This speaker would also introduce Airplay into you Sonos system but is cheaper.
I have 4 x Play:1s used across two rooms. If i buy 1 x Play One will this solve the streaming issue?

I can live with replacing one speaker but not all four.

Thanks for any feedback!
Userlevel 1
Back to vinyl I reckon!
Most routers have a USB slot that allows you to use a USB drive as an NAS. If your tracks are MP3, average size per track is about 3.5 MB and 5000 would be 17 GB, well within the range of a cheap thumb drive.
Not likely to buy an SSD just because Sonos took a function away. Not sure what I would do with a thumb drive. Don't believe I can fit 5,000 songs on it. I am moving to Google Play Music and it is a major hassle to get the songs over to it and get the play lists set up properly and keep synchronized with iTunes. Don't want to use this forum to discuss the limitations of Google Play Music, but that is what I will make work.
So, set up an SSD driven NAS. Or use a thumb drive, if your router allows such a thing. Or set up a free Google Play Music account. This is all covered in the main thread here:

https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/upcoming-changes-to-on-this-iphone-or-ipad-playback-6826585
Nut you want the hard drive to sleep. That is the purpose of energy saving.
And there are settings on each kind of computer ( you didn’t specify which kind) that allow you to tell the hard drive not to sleep.
I am pretty sure that the energy saver puts the Mac into sleep mode and the drive is not longer accessible.
I didn't know that
Huh?
The iOS controller will still work in the same manner as always. The only change will be that you can’t play music stored on it. If your music is anywhere else, i.e. on a desktop’s hard drive, an NAS, or streamed, the iOS controller will work exactly as it always has.
As I am listening to my garden speakers (controlled by Sonos) it would be very inconvenient to go inside and up a flight of stairs to start or change the playlist. We listen to music at dinner. Do we have to go to the computer room to change the playlist? Not having ever used Sonos from my desktop I am not sure if it keeps playing when the energy saver comes on and puts the computer to sleep or does that have to be changed.
You’re not wrong, assuming that they sync their music to their desktop machine. Not everyone does, but I, like you, do.
I use my phone as well, but there is nothing on my phone that isn’t in my library as well, which Sonos still has access to.

correct me if I’m wrong but if it’s a file physically on your phone, it physically resides in your iTunes library, which Sonos can still access.

Given that fact, what has anyone truly lost here? I agree, my Springsteen live recordings are essential to me, and are only on my iPhone and in my Library, but I’ve always had Sonos access those files from my library, not the phone itself. I don’t see how that isn’t an option for everyone in the iOS ecosphere.