Answered

Sonos iOS Apps volume not working with iPhone volume button

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

Badge

I knew when we lost access to change the volume when the iPhone was locked a few years ago that it was inevitable it would be removed altogether. Sadly that day is now upon us. 
I don’t even care who made the decision, it is 2023 and I can’t imagine why we lose features of convenience like this given technology and it’s current rate of advance.

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Sonos is not a music player like Apple Music or pandora. It was nice to be able to use the volume control inside the app itself. But moving the tab is not that big of a deal. Y'all get overly wound up over the littlest of things. I am sure apple wants to limit Sonos and certain apps functionality to drive people to THEIR product. Don't blame Sonos blame apple. 

If it is that big of a deal, just use the voice commands “hey Sonos turn it down 20%” etc. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Sonos would be working against a 2 trillion dollar company, that either seems to view this kind of acces by outside apps to controls as a security risk or is trying to willfully limit competitors. That’s not a set back, that’s a lost war.

I’m very disappointed to hear this. I use Sonos throughout my home, and when I need a quick sound adjustment for a meeting or other purpose, the side buttons are far easier to access than opening the app to control the volume. While seemingly small, this is a large impact. If this is a Sonos decision, I think it is a poor choice for user experience. If this is an Apple decision, please let us know so we can petition Apple. 

15.6 Update Release Notes:

• We’ve removed the ability to control the Sonos app for iOS using lock screen controls and device hardware buttons. The way these features were architected do not meet Apple’s experience guidelines for developers and no longer offer a reliable control experience.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

This is so stupid. Glad I know now. Was about to purchase a couple more playbars. I’ll go with the competition. 

Userlevel 1

I don’t think think the Sonos is Bluetooth. It has to be run from the Sonia app. The Sirius app to a jbl speaker works fab via Bluetooth and has those controls. 

If I am reading the release notes correctly, and the official statements, It’s not just Apple saying ’we don’t like Sonos’ in particular. I’ve also dealt in the past with getting apps approved by Apple, although not as a Sonos employee. 

What Apple is saying is  ‘you’re doing a weird hack that has potential security implications, and might be a security risk at some point, so we’re going to put our foot down and stop approving your app if it includes that functionality’.

Sonos then had no choice but to remove that ‘hack’ that was working (in most cases, but apparently not all) for an app that was not a player of streams, but a remote control to an app running on another device that was a player of streams. Minor distinction, but that is why the hardware buttons are still working for player apps (that connect to the Sonos speakers via Bluetooth or AirPlay 2), in which the “player” is still on the Apple device. 

The folks at Apple will be very happy with your reaction, it supports the reason why they’re forcing this change on Sonos. 

I completely agree with the sentiments above: not being able to control the speaker volume from the Sonos app using the iPhone buttons is ridiculous. It used to work so this is just some bureaucratic nonsense. If the Sonos app is not classed as a music player app - then maybe you need to reclassify it - or create a music player app that we can use as people would expect. Come on - you are a big enough company that I’m sure you can work with Apple to fix the problem.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

How is a user expected to change the volume of tunes played from the iPhone on the Beam?

In the Sonos app there’s a volume slider. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

The Sonos Rep literally told me it was Sonos’ decision. I posted that in my first post. No need to turn this into a partisan issue although it’s hard to tell if you have a position or just want to be combative. Go out and get some sunshine. Enjoy the beach. Greet the world with a smile. 😎

Fair enough, @KP2023America  😜.

I’m not trying to be combative, just hoping for some hard facts in a muddy situation. “He said/she said” is not always 100% reliable information.

I’ll head for the beach in a short while… 🏄

I completely agree with the sentiments above: not being able to control the speaker volume from the Sonos app using the iPhone buttons is ridiculous. It used to work so this is just some bureaucratic nonsense. If the Sonos app is not classed as a music player app - then maybe you need to reclassify it - or create a music player app that we can use as people would expect. Come on - you are a big enough company that I’m sure you can work with Apple to fix the problem.

To the bolded - How do you know they haven’t?  The last time Apple removed functionality, Sonos tried for over a year to work with them to fix it, and Apple wouldn’t budge.  

I always used this to control the volume when i was tired or falling asleep - it was easy to just hit the volume buttons rather than have to unlock my phone. this really sucks and is a terrible step backward in terms of functionality - someone has sold out here… :(

I always used this to control the volume when i was tired or falling asleep - it was easy to just hit the volume buttons rather than have to unlock my phone. this really sucks and is a terrible step backward in terms of functionality - someone has sold out here… :(

maybe i will just use spotify to play via my sonos device instead - that way i can use the volume buttons. bye bye sonos app. fools. 

Just as well I didn’t replace my Sonos speakers that I just about do I’m sure I’ll find another speaker system that I can control from iPhone. What a pity I really enjoyed my sonos system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Just as well I didn’t replace my Sonos speakers that I just about do I’m sure I’ll find another speaker system that I can control from iPhone. What a pity I really enjoyed my sonos system.

You can still control the speakers from your iPhone. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you have read the thread, you would have read that indeed Sonos decided to remove this for two reasons:

• they could not get this to work reliably; and
  • Apple does not really allow this for apps that are not music players.

Both reasons are probably connected. Spotify is a music player, so yes, they can handle it. The Sonos app is only a remote, not a music player.

This is a significant setback for the product. Is anyone aware if Sonos produce a hardware remote control that can be used with their products instead? Thank you. 

I agree.  I would even spend additional money for a hardware remote.  If you are going to make things harder to control at least give us a better option.  

Also, since I see some mods have removed things.  Is there any plans to bring this back?  Not a total deal breaker but I am starting to lose patience with these kind of things.  Sonos is less and less the only game in town (cough Audio Pro) and I would hope they would get that.  I have over ten products, but also I am one of the types to sell everything and go to a whole new ecosystem if I get annoyed enough.  Or maybe check that stock price.  Ticking off loyal customers is not the way to improve that.  

It seems like you might not be aware that the reason this was removed is because it would not work reliably ( would not work in some scenarios, had to repaired every time Apple changed things) and did not fit wit Apple’s policies.  That means that no other multiroom audio system (other than airplay, which Sonos supports) is going to be able to do this either. That means there isn’t going to be a plan to bring it back till Apply changes their policy.

Sonos is very unlikely to produce their own hardware remote.  They have been down that road before and abandoned the idea when smartphones became a thing and made their remotes essentially obsolete. There are some 3rd part remotes out there, ikea already mention, and lutron is another good option.

Sonos, please make that feature (controlling volume by iPhone hardware buttons) available somewhere deep in the settings. Default off = Apple happy

Sonos users who need this would search, find and use = also happy.

You started as innovative, TOP quality and huge customer added value audio/tech company. Please do not loose this DNA spirit…

I’ve tested the S1 app by downgrading one speaker and the iPhone sonos app volume control works!! I did not check S1 in the Lock Screen as that was less important to me. S2 volume control never works anymore. This is a big deal to me as I used to be able to control the volume with everything including my Apple Watch. None of these work anymore. A real disappointment. 😣

How do I downgrade my entire system to S1 to get this vital feature back? I get an error saying downgrading failed. Do I need to buy new S1 units?

Thanks in advance!!

S1 no longer has it, either.  Apple clamped down on its rules against using hard buttons or the lock screen to control 3rd party hardware.  If Sonos didn't get rid of it, they'd be kicked off the App Store. 

such nonsense, Sonos and Apple have problems with each other and the customer has the errors again, when will these problems finally stop... Other apps can access the volume controls without any difficulty, excuses for stupid...🤢

"Other apps" are media players, not remote controls for 3rd party hardware.

As I understand it the feature works with music players. The Sonos app is not a music player (the speakers fetch the music themselves) but a remote to the system…..

I never actually thought about their music service.  if they consider the app just a controller and don’t support volume then I am sure it will push some folks to other services (it easily would me).  Why would you even consider the Sonos service if it has inferior functionality.  I just think they should reconsider  this decision because I am sure they are also costing themselves radio subs.  

The difference is you can start playback on your Sonos using a controller, then have the controller leave the situation, and the music will continue to play, because it is the speaker that has been told to go ‘get’ the music. 

Other services that are still allowed to use the buttons are playing through the controller device, which then sends the signal to the Sonos, so if that controller device leaves, or is shut down, the music would stop.

I don’t think there’s a decision to be taken by Sonos, this is being forced on them by Apple. I’d think Sonos would prefer to have it remain the way it was, but aren’t being given that option. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

@mattmik You can still control volume with the Sonos app (or voice, or the IKEA Dirigera Hub and remote) , just not with the lock screen controls.

Let’s imagine that there is an A/V receiver (or two or three) in the house and you want the same Lock Screen service? Since the service was always a hack, which control should survive?

Perhaps I kicked the tires once or twice, but this was not a feature that I used. It always seemed like a risky feature because I move around the house. How does the Lock Screen feature know which room I’m listening in?

It is a Sonos decision, forced on them by Apple.