Answered

Sonos iOS Apps volume not working with iPhone volume button

• 27 July 2023
  • 87 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

The Sonos app suddenly not working with the iOS lock screen control and volume button anymore, suspect it happen after the Sonos iOS app updates.

So far I had tried:

1. Restart the iPhone and make sure the iOS and Sonos App having latest version
  2. Reset Sonos app
  3. Reset + uninstall + reinstall app
  4. Off and on Sonos ERA300 and do the above
  5. Research all possible solutions from Google but nothing helps yet :(

All of this not working, my app version is 15.6 build 74043110 with iPhone 14 Pro iOS 16.6. Is anyone facing the same issue or this is a known software bug?

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 27 July 2023, 06:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

87 replies

@mattmik You can still control volume with the Sonos app (or voice, or the IKEA Dirigera Hub and remote) , just not with the lock screen controls.

If I have the Sonos app open on my phone I cannot use the volume buttons either.  I have to use the slider which is not ideal.  Am I missing something?  I would be fine with having the app up but that is not functioning on the two iPhones in our house.  

I would not mind the Ikea remote, but they have a habit of discontinuing things pretty quickly and the $80 or so it cost isn’t cheap.  I also have two other smart hubs in my house,  I still would love it is Sonos would make an OEM remote.

I would agree. I’d rather an OEM remote over the app or an expensive third party remote. I realise that wouldn’t necessarily be everyone’s preference though. I hope Sonos do look at alternative options as, regardless of the reason for the functionality removal, it does lessen the product offering quality. Sonos might blame it on apple but I expect fewer people would ditch their apple products if the choice was to be forced. 

Thanks for remote suggestions. The ikea offering is a bit expensive but I will look into lutron now.

If I am reading the release notes correctly, and the official statements, It’s not just Apple saying ’we don’t like Sonos’ in particular. I’ve also dealt in the past with getting apps approved by Apple, although not as a Sonos employee. 

What Apple is saying is  ‘you’re doing a weird hack that has potential security implications, and might be a security risk at some point, so we’re going to put our foot down and stop approving your app if it includes that functionality’.

Sonos then had no choice but to remove that ‘hack’ that was working (in most cases, but apparently not all) for an app that was not a player of streams, but a remote control to an app running on another device that was a player of streams. Minor distinction, but that is why the hardware buttons are still working for player apps (that connect to the Sonos speakers via Bluetooth or AirPlay 2), in which the “player” is still on the Apple device. 

15.6 Update Release Notes:

• We’ve removed the ability to control the Sonos app for iOS using lock screen controls and device hardware buttons. The way these features were architected do not meet Apple’s experience guidelines for developers and no longer offer a reliable control experience.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/release-notes-for-sonos-s2

This is so stupid. Glad I know now. Was about to purchase a couple more playbars. I’ll go with the competition. 

I think that many S2 users could simply start using AirPlay rather than the SONOS controller. Some S1 users could use AirPlay with some SONOS players, but without the Group capability.

Userlevel 1

I don’t need a work around. I need what I paid for. Why can it work on android and not iPhone ffs it’s not rocket surgery. It’s 2 buttons on an iPhone lol 

Interestingly the BBC Sounds app still works with the iOS lock screen and hardware volume buttons. Maybe Sonos could have a word with them to see how they do it?

Userlevel 1

The whole thing is bizarre. I have reached out to Sirius and they are looking into it 😎

BBC sounds app works by playing the sound directly through the iOS system. Sonos plays the sound by the remote control app telling the speakers where to go and get the stream from, so nothing is ‘playing’ on iOS, it’s all on the speaker. 

I always used this to control the volume when i was tired or falling asleep - it was easy to just hit the volume buttons rather than have to unlock my phone. this really sucks and is a terrible step backward in terms of functionality - someone has sold out here… :(

I always used this to control the volume when i was tired or falling asleep - it was easy to just hit the volume buttons rather than have to unlock my phone. this really sucks and is a terrible step backward in terms of functionality - someone has sold out here… :(

maybe i will just use spotify to play via my sonos device instead - that way i can use the volume buttons. bye bye sonos app. fools. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Sonos is not a music player like Apple Music or pandora. It was nice to be able to use the volume control inside the app itself. But moving the tab is not that big of a deal. Y'all get overly wound up over the littlest of things. I am sure apple wants to limit Sonos and certain apps functionality to drive people to THEIR product. Don't blame Sonos blame apple. 

If it is that big of a deal, just use the voice commands “hey Sonos turn it down 20%” etc. 

Sonos is not a music player like Apple Music or pandora. It was nice to be able to use the volume control inside the app itself. But moving the tab is not that big of a deal. Y'all get overly wound up over the littlest of things. I am sure apple wants to limit Sonos and certain apps functionality to drive people to THEIR product. Don't blame Sonos blame apple. 

If it is that big of a deal, just use the voice commands “hey Sonos turn it down 20%” etc. 

Y’all havent read the entire thread, Ubet, or you’d understand that all the response leads to the point that Sonos made this decision themselves. I’ve had Sonos products since 2012 and am a big fan, even still have my original play5, never complained once, so this isn’t some gripe - I’m funamentally annoyed that a feature I use EVERY DAY has been removed.

Voice controls are just as useless as unlocking the phone if you’re in a room where someone else is sleeping. It’s a backward step, Spotify can handle it, Sonos now can’t… so its achieveable, they’ve decided not to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you have read the thread, you would have read that indeed Sonos decided to remove this for two reasons:

• they could not get this to work reliably; and
  • Apple does not really allow this for apps that are not music players.

Both reasons are probably connected. Spotify is a music player, so yes, they can handle it. The Sonos app is only a remote, not a music player.

Sonos, please make that feature (controlling volume by iPhone hardware buttons) available somewhere deep in the settings. Default off = Apple happy

Sonos users who need this would search, find and use = also happy.

You started as innovative, TOP quality and huge customer added value audio/tech company. Please do not loose this DNA spirit…

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Y’all havent read the entire thread, Ubet, or you’d understand that all the response leads to the point that Sonos made this decision themselves. I’ve had Sonos products since 2012 and am a big fan, even still have my original play5, never complained once, so this isn’t some gripe - I’m funamentally annoyed that a feature I use EVERY DAY has been removed.

Voice controls are just as useless as unlocking the phone if you’re in a room where someone else is sleeping. It’s a backward step, Spotify can handle it, Sonos now can’t… so its achieveable, they’ve decided not to.

Yes I read the whole thread, and understand that it was disabled because they couldn’t keep it working for apple and Apple doesn’t allow the function on stuff that isn’t a music player. That is why it still works on Android not ios. 

just because you only choose to see what you want to see doesn’t change the facts. 

dcsearle,

Your world has not completely collapsed. You can have it your way by simply playing Spotify using the Spotify App. If the Spotify App annoys you in some way, take this up with Spotify.

While Lock Screen controls seem to be central to some users’ vision, I never use them other than to explore a comment made here. I don’t want my phone/pad/computer fussing with music. This was my original reason for adopting SONOS. If my phone/pad/computer crashes or needs a reboot, the music continues. Plus, in my opinion, there are awkward interactions between Apps with respect to handling audio. If I interact with another App that provides audio, it may replace the music and it is quite awkward to revert to the music. Also, I move around and the Lock Screen tends to be linked to the wrong Room. This could result in my accidentally adjusting the wrong Room or another user adjusting my Room.

@buzz - you assume ppl are using Spotify… guess what, not everyone is. It’s a big deal that this features is gone, sure there are workarounds, but that’s all they are, nothing as convenient as changing vol without unlocking an iPhone was.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

@buzz - you assume ppl are using Spotify… guess what, not everyone is. It’s a big deal that this features is gone, sure there are workarounds, but that’s all they are, nothing as convenient as changing vol without unlocking an iPhone was.

I don’t use Spotify. I did use the feature, but I don’t consider it to be a big deal for it to be a dropped feature. 
I’m not trying to be confrontational; I’m just saying it’s not a big deal to everyone. I accept that it was an important feature to you, and many others, but not to all. 

I call *, laziness or corporate nonsense - and probably all three. How can they think this is acceptable?

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Given your extensive knowledge of Sonos’ code base, Apple’s code base, Sonos’ corporate stance, and the effort being put forth by Sonos engineers, which is it?

Just as well I didn’t replace my Sonos speakers that I just about do I’m sure I’ll find another speaker system that I can control from iPhone. What a pity I really enjoyed my sonos system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Just as well I didn’t replace my Sonos speakers that I just about do I’m sure I’ll find another speaker system that I can control from iPhone. What a pity I really enjoyed my sonos system.

You can still control the speakers from your iPhone. 

How is a user expected to change the volume of tunes played from the iPhone on the Beam?

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

How is a user expected to change the volume of tunes played from the iPhone on the Beam?

In the Sonos app there’s a volume slider. 

I completely agree with the sentiments above: not being able to control the speaker volume from the Sonos app using the iPhone buttons is ridiculous. It used to work so this is just some bureaucratic nonsense. If the Sonos app is not classed as a music player app - then maybe you need to reclassify it - or create a music player app that we can use as people would expect. Come on - you are a big enough company that I’m sure you can work with Apple to fix the problem.