Answered

Sonos Connect. Still worth buying???

• 25 March 2018
  • 64 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

64 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Hi all, just to update this thread. I picked up a Connect unit on eBay yesterday. It should arrive Thursday. I’ll let you know how I get on. Thanks to all for your valuable input.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Thanks Ian, I tend to agree totally with this. Mine arrived yesterday & I’ve had a good listen today & tbh The Airport Express I was using previously had a much more ‘open’ & pleasing sound.
If I’d paid £350 for this I would be very disappointed indeed.
I had done a fair bit of research before buying & picked up an Arcam Rdac from eBay at the same time.
The sound through the Rdac is better than the audio outs on the Connect alone but surprisingly I still much prefer the sound through the Airport Express.
I can tell that the sound could be improved considerably with the correct Dac though.
The convenience of being able to play the same audio in the living room, dining room & kitchen is enticing though.
What Dac are you currently using?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Ha, just googled the Naim. Think that may be a little over budget for me. I bet that sounds absolutely amazing! I bought the Dac second hand. The guy I bought it from said he’d only run it for about 50 hours max. I’m going to leave it running for a week & see if it sounds any better. I’d really like to keep the connect as I really like the App & the flexibility of the systen.
The only scientific way to establish that the Connect DAC is audibly inferior to any other, regardless of brand name or price point, is by a controlled level matched listening blind test. Which no one has done or ever does; in its absence, there are a lot of subjective opinions tossed around, mostly influenced by psychological factors or variation in sound levels as low as 0.1 dB. Those that buy an expensive DAC cannot help hearing differences to justify the spend to themselves. That is human nature at work.

And just as subjective is this opinion that I found based on my admittedly imperfect blind listening tests. No audible difference between the Connect DAC and one in a Marantz KI Pearl SACD player, both playing via Quad 99/909, into Harbeth C7 Speakers.
This needs a postscript, because of a small "problem" in the Connect; the analog output signal voltage is slightly lower than that of most CD players and DACs - 2 volts against 2.2/2.4. How this affects the sound quality heard and the easy fix follows:

The human hearing/brain are such that music heard at sound levels that are lower by as little as 0.2 dB, even 0.1 db is not heard as lower volume, but as lower sound quality until the difference become a lot larger. Thin sounding, lacking presence...all the usual pejoratives are perceived just because of this little difference. This little nugget is well known to all salesmen of stereo kit - the well trained ones of high end kit, at any rate. Which is why the controlled blind test has to be done using instruments to exactly match the sound levels of the two alternates being evaluated.

If therefore the Connect is wired to the set up I referred via both analog and digital outputs, with analog outputs going direct to the Quad preamp, and digital ones going to the Marantz and thence to the Quad, switching back and forth in the sources on the Quad has it receive a slightly lower voltage from the Connect, automatically leading to slightly lower sound levels from the Harbeths, at the SAME volume control setting on the Quad. No prizes then for guessing which sounds inferior. But the easy fix I referred to is bumping up the volume controls just a tad where the Connect analog output is being used. Approximating exactly what would be done in a blind test.

And I am not just a Sonos fanboy. If I was, I would not say this: the DAC in the Chromecast Audio, that costs 10% of the price of the Connect, has a DAC that is audibly just as good as that in the Connect, or as that in the USD 2000 Marantz player. So if one can live with the feature set of the Chromecast, there is no need to buy the Connect. As to the Marantz, along with CDs and SACDs, it now obsolete because what it plays is obsolete media.

What can muddy the waters here is that many external DACs are sold with filters that also shape the sound, like the EQ settings on the Connect do. But for an apples to apples comparison of just DAC performance, these have to be disengaged on both sides. Such external DAC may still prevail as a purchasing choice, if its filters do more to shape/customise the sound than the EQ of the Connect can. But then what is prevailing isn't the DAC, but the extended range/sophistication of the filters.

With these bolt on filters out of the frame, in today's audio kit, a DAC is a DAC is a DAC. Just a cheap commodity.

Finally, that sound from audio kit, other than some brands of new speakers, changes or improves over time is a myth. What happens is that the brain adjusts to the new sound signature, leading to the improvement of the kit illusion. The rest of the improvement heard is psychological as well - Confirmation Bias at work.

Reinforced by one common trait in audiophiles - they desperately want to believe all the marketing that has driven their spend. Or to be able to continue with the hobby of churning their equipment, using music as just a test signal.
Well... I have my Connect hooked to a $99 Sony amp, which powers the speakers in my bar and on my patio. Is the sound perfect? For me it is, so I couldn’t be more thrilled with the performance of the Connect, which to me is nothing more than the vehicle to drive the Sony, which handles the sound. And again, for my needs, its perfect. Don’t know what Kumar is saying above, but I’m not hearing any of that. 😃
Lol. Because you are, sensibly, more interested in the music.
Decades ago when I was playing in bands and mixing sound and recording it all made sense and was important. It’s great to read, but really unnecessary for me these days. Loved the posts though.
I was on a kick years ago of ripping my CDs primarily to FLAC. Then one day I got to listening to it’s 320 kbps MP3 counterpart and comparing. No discernible difference to my ears. None. Converted the FLAC to 320 MP3 and enjoyed the extra TB of real estate on my NAS.
A final note for the Google handy, who are entitled to think that mine is just one small data point that is questionable for that reason: try the Hydrogen Audio website/forum on the realities of home audio if you want more information.

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php?PHPSESSID=ph4rr1dlrgr3bbgvgrc3ddicg1&action=forum

Be warned though before posting anything there that folks there, from the moderators and down, are extremely short, even rude, with anyone that does not talk objective reason.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm certainly not telling the OP to go out and spend lots of money. On the contrary my advice is to enjoy the connect, it's a very good device.

The good thing about music is there's equipment out there that lets you enjoy it at all price points and the beauty of the Connect is that you can add the Sonos ease of use to equipment you already own and enjoy. Different equpiment does sound different, whether that's better or not is a whole different debate, but I do believe that using a connect on an existing HiFi is better sounding than buying Play speakers, and will be much cheaper too, So no real downsides for the OP.

The OP did say they prefered the sound of their Airport Express, so in my view there's no reason not to experiment a bit with differnent ways to see if they can get closer to that. There's always a chance over time that they'll get used the Connect and stop noticing anyway.

At the end of the day, what's important is that you're happy with how what you have sounds, and then remember to just enjoy listening to music on it, which is mostly why we buy this stuff in the first place. If you're happy with it then it's not for anyone else to say it's rubbish, as enjoying music is a good thing, full stop... 😃
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
I'm certainly not telling the OP to go out and spend lots of money. On the contrary my advice is to enjoy the connect, it's a very good device.

The good thing about music is there's equipment out there that lets you enjoy it at all price points, and the beauty of the Connect is that you can add the Sonos ease of use to equipment you already own and enjoy. Different equpiment does sound different, whether that's better or not is a whole different debate, but I do believe that using a connect on an existing HiFi is better sounding than buying Play speakers, and will be much cheaper too, So no real downsides for the OP.

The OP did say they prefered the sound of their Airport Express, so in my view there's no reason not to experiment a bit with differnent ways of connecting it to see if they can get closer to that. There's always a chance over time that they'll get used the Connect and stop noticing anyway.

At the end of the day, what's important is that you're happy with how what you have sounds and then remember to just enjoy listening to music on it, which is mostly why we buy this stuff in the first place. If you're happy with it then it's not for anyone else to say it's rubbish, as enjoying music is a good thing, full stop... 🙂

The OP did say they prefered the sound of their Airport Express, so in my view there's no reason not to experiment a bit with differnent ways to see if they can get closer to that. There's always a chance over time that they'll get used the Connect and stop noticing anyway.

There is no objective reason for the AEX to sound different or better. Speakers have sonic signatures, leading to valid subjective preferences, but not things like AEX. AEX is just as good as Connect on the sound quality front, when it works well; the reason I dumped it for Sonos in 2011 is that it kept dropping the music stream, stuttering and stopping.
As to experimenting, I am merely sharing my views based on over a decade of experience that this can rapidly take you down the rabbit hole, facilitated by audiophiles and marketing that targets their all too human tendencies of being dissatisfied all the time, for no valid or scientific reasons.
If the OP still chooses to dive in to Alice's Wonderland, that is his business of course and odds are on his doing so; perhaps someone else coming across this thread will be aided to dwell on what matters - the music. And Connect is as transparent as it needs to be to allow that.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Ian, I totally appreciate the advice. You have been more than helpful & also understanding of what I am hearing with my own ears. To Kumar, I am a musician & when I sit & listen to music in my living room I want to be able to listen & enjoy. The music is VERY important to me. The Sonos one’s I have in my dining room are totally fit for purpose but they are in no way comparable to my Hi-Fi nor did I expect them be.
The connect unit however is very expensive for what it is & I expected to hear an improvement over a device ie: Airport Express which cost £250 less than the connect.
I am not an audiophile as you can see from my reasonably modest kit but I do appreciate good sound. The Connect does not sound as good as the Airport Express to my ears. I don’t even think this is ‘subjective’ it was clear as day ( to me) that the AEX has a clearer sound with better separation than the connect..
I am posting here because I really want to keep the connect & enjoy the functionality. I’m hoping that Sonos will read this & if they update the connect in anyway will do so to improve the sound.
Also hoping to hear from others who may have been able to improve the sound in some way.
This in the end would encourage people who are in the same position as me to perhaps keep the connect. Not put others off buying it.
The Sonos one’s I have in my dining room are totally fit for purpose but they are in no way comparable to my Hi-Fi nor did I expect them be.

The Connect does not sound as good as the Airport Express to my ears. I don’t even think this is ‘subjective’ it was clear as day ( to me) that the AEX has a clearer sound with better separation than the connect..
I am posting here because I really want to keep the connect & enjoy the functionality.

I find my play 1 pair + Sub to be as good a USD 7000 HiFi system they have replaced. Just saying.

But that isn't the purpose of this post. Since you seem to be sincere, let me ask some questions on the AEX.

Describe the system in which the AEX is/was set up. What was the source? What was it connected to?

Maybe a stripped down connect with less ports and options at a lower price might go down well with some.

No argument against the usefulness of more features and/or ports and even a smaller footprint. I also agree that it is now vastly overpriced, but I suspect that is to prevent cannibalisation of play unit sales.

But what I can't see is what can be done by Sonos to enhance the sound quality it delivers; note here that those that have any issue including a psychological one with the Connect DAC, can bypass it and use the digital outputs.

I also suspect that it serves a market that Sonos has moved on and away from.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The AEX is connected to the aux port of a classic NAD 3020 which is feeding a pair of Monitor Audio RS1 bookshelf speakers. I stream music from my IPhone 7 Plus to this via my WiFi network. The connect is connected to the Tape in of the same set up. I have made sure when a/bing both of these sources that the input volumes were as similar as I could with my ear. Both sources are streaming tracks from Apple Music.
For the Connect, you are using Apple Music selected via the Sonos controller app? And selecting the exact same album on the Apple app on the phone to send the stream to AEX?
And you are using the toggle of the NAD to switch sources? Is the Connect set to variable level or fixed level? Have you tried the Connect into the aux port of the 3020 in use for the AEX?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Yes to all of the above. The connect is set to variable output. I have not tried the Connect in the Aux port. I shall try this tonight.
At that time, also move the Connect to fixed level. All volume changes will then be only done from the 3020, so be sure to start low with that on the 3020. Once this issue gets resolved, you will be able to go back to variable level and regain the use of the remote control of volume via the Sonos app on the phone.
I think the value question with the Connect is the functionality it brings to an existing system.

The question of value vs sound quality is always much harder as I think different people have different thresholds for value.

It may be useful for others that reference this post in future to see a general answer to the titled question of this thread, that also pulls in the two quotes above.

In short and in general, ever since a play 1 pair has been available for the price of a Connect, the latter is no longer worth it.

The Connect is essentially a Sonos launch product, designed to be used with HiFi systems of that day - circa 2004. The thing is that active speaker technology has since obsoleted passive systems that were around then, along with the CD players used as a source. Even in what is often derisively labelled as an all in one budget Sonos speaker, advanced active tech is employed. Each speaker has two drivers, each with its own amp. The midrange/bass unit does high excursions, allowing for the same bass to be delivered as from a larger speaker with low excursion units. And all of this is supervised by DSP of a sophistication that passive tech simply cannot accommodate, including room response based Trueplay tuning.

Why then is what is labelled as HiFi kit, even when it uses obsolete passive tech, so highly priced? The simple answer is diseconomies of very low scale manufacture and marketing, that drives per unit costs of such kit having to be much higher for ROI to be obtained to the extent that business survival is possible. On the other hand, the defining trait of electronic tech is how severely its price drops within a couple of years of launch of new tech. Add in to that the many economies of scale - manufacturing, marketing and distribution - from a billion dollar in annual sales that Sonos now enjoys, this delivers a double whammy on the price front that traditional HiFi kit can only cope with by trying to challenge the HiFi credentials of Sonos. The resultant message is also one that works on the mindset of the audiophile set that wants to believe that HiFi = High End = High Price. And that Mass Market and HiFi: a contradiction in terms. It is just marketing baloney, this message.

Which is why there is nothing to be surprised at if a USD 1000 Sonos set up can successfully challenge a USD 7000 traditional HiFi set up with the latter price also including USD 2000 for a CD player that is obsolete, and that the Sonos set up does not need anymore.

Moving on then, to someone that has a system like what the OP does: install a play 1 pair in the exact same space in the exact same room, run Trueplay on the 1 pair, and the sound quality obtained from it from the exact same source will be the same - all that will be different are two speaker sonic signatures and as many people that prefer one are likely to prefer the other. Given that, for the lot that prefer the Sonos signature, adding a Connect to the existing system makes no sense at all. Might was well give the existing system to a friend for free or to charity. The resultant decluttering and elimination of messy cables is just a free bonus.

Throw in a Sonos Sub and even the 1 pair + Sub will take on traditional HiFi kit at many price points above, for all the reasons aforesaid. The 5 pair + Sub will go even further in larger rooms. And offer a line in jack for integrating something like a turntable if desired.

To my mind, the only remaining case for Connect is if one wants a Sonos interface to a pair of active speakers that are much more capable that a 5 pair + Sub. If one can find these. Or if one is sentimentally attached to existing passive HiFi kit. Or if one has a Bill Gates kind of home that can accommodate and needs speakers that are taller than a human that cost 5 digits or even 6, to fill the space adequately. Although one could argue that many play 1 units employed all over the space would do the job better: said monster speaker set up will still suffer from the large space problems of music having to be too loud close to the speakers for it to be heard in distant parts of the room.

And while I agree on the subjective differences in value thresholds that are rooted in reason, those related to sound quality are rarely so. These are largely eliminated in controlled blind testing, having been created just by clever "HiFi" marketers and their tools - the media that is sustained by their advertising, including the online versions of it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If say I have a high powered amp and some very well made standard wired speakers that I want to be utilized by sonos....then a connect still fits the bill and nothing else does.

While a pair of play:1s sound good they do NOT sound as good as my living room system with B&W speakers and subwoofer connected to a decent 120watt per channel amp (and Sonos Connect)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Yes I have debated for some time replacing with the cleaner look of having 2 Play:5s in their place. Because I currently have a tv cabinet in that area the wired system and amp don’t really don’t get in the way so I haven’t tried for wireless there yet.

I don’t disagree that a pair of play:5s and sub may give that wired system a run for its money.

But - if the implication that a connect is obsolete because same price as Pair of play:1s doesn’t compare here. To equal my current system the price of a connect is far cheaper then buying a new pair of play:5s and a Sonos sub.

I do beleive though the connect remains at a fairly premium price. Although that could be because of volume of scale in that they sell far less of them then play units (driving cost/price up).

But - if the implication that a connect is obsolete because same price as Pair of play:1s doesn’t compare here. To equal my current system the price of a connect is far cheaper then buying a new pair of play:5s and a Sonos sub.

Good point and it is well taken, that correction. But the Connect does become a bad decision if the equivalent HiFi system sounds only as good as a 1 pair placed with the same care, and with Trueplay run, because the Connect will cost more than the 1 pair.
There is however the possibility that the price of a 5 pair + Sub, less the resale proceeds of the HiFi system of the kind you have, will be less than the price of adding a new Connect to it. In that case, the 5 pair + Sub need not even sound better, just as good, to justify itself. And if the room and the legacy kit is such that a 1 pair + Sub suffices, this will make even more sense. There may even be a profit opportunity here, not just one of loss minimisation!
Or the 1 pair + Sub, less the resale value of cheaper legacy kit than yours, can make more sense than adding a Connect.
In both cases, one may need to be lucky to find an audiophile that loves legacy kit for reasons other than dispassionate ones, who will pay a good price for it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I do not disagree that a pair of play:1s makes sense in a lot of situations. And the amount of legacy equipment beingbrepirpsoed to sonsonwoth a Connect will most likely decline in coming years.

Personally I feel the connect needs a more powerful replacement. I have long Called the superconnect. With digital and hdmi input that services 7.1 speakers all wirelessly.