Sonos account now required just to add a speaker?!

• 16 December 2017
  • 55 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

55 replies

To the OP... do like many do and create an account called bingobingo@gmail.com use that to register everything, fill out random info for required fields and ignore the rest. For added secutiry use a vpn to another country to create the account... your mobile app auto logs you on so you’ll never be affected by it. Play the system. Give the least you can. The Reason nearly everything is account based these days is because we are all being tracked and all our online and mobile travels are are being collected and combined in huge big data cross referencing marketing databases. I work in the industry it’s scary. GDPR makes you feel safe however you can be identified simply from where your mobile phone rests at night. Rather than identify you by GDP inclusive data-points~ I’ll give you a number 007 . Totally compliant.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
For me it really isn't the information, but what if this company goes belly up, never say it won't, but if it does, and you are now tied to an internet account in order to setup or re-setup your devices that could be a big issue for your speakers.

This was something that happened with iRule home controller, you had to use their services in order to use the software. Well now the company is going under and stopping so you will not be able to do any updates etc to the software. I fear some hear are thinking the same thing.
No, the vast majority are concerned with data harvesting and privacy, two items for which Sonos has clearly stated their policy, and these folks refuse to believe it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I am more concerned with not being able to access or re-setup my system if I do not have access to the internet or if they decide to call it a day. That is one reason why I am not investing in more smart speakers. I would rather be tied to software playing my music, than to hardware and software. If a company stops making the software, I can still use my hardware with something else, but with Sonos, I am tied to the hardware and software. While I enjoy their services, and still really enjoy their products, I won't be expanding my system anytime soon, because this has me worried.

I don't really care about the harvesting of data all to much. However I do find it kind of weird on why they would care what stations, songs, services, etc I am using and keep track of the times I am using them. I would be curious as to why they would need that level of granularity. Are there plans to sell this information?