SMB2 (or SMB3) support must be supported NOW!

Show first post

281 replies

Any news about supporting a newer SMB version?

Nope, the only reaction that I get from Sonos Support is that they have registered my complaint and that  they are going show it to the Product management team.

No guarantees if or when something will change.

Badge

The issue of them using SMB surely still exists under Pi, they create an insure network?

In the end they did a big fancy update recently to the Sonos OS, so surely they can update SMB.

There is another option as well, remove the 5 Sonos devices I have and replace them with something else.

I’ve currently got it going via Plex, which adds another layer which really shouldn’t be needed.

Badge +1

Hi Sonos team

as Synology does not support anymore SMB1 in their NAS from DSM 7.0 beta and probably from official releases of the upcoming official DSM 7 F/W, Sonos equipments cannot connect anymore to the music.

SONOS must now port SMB2 or SMB3 Otherwise many peoples will buy products from competition

regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Using a Pi as a gateway to offer Sonos SMB v1 isn’t secure but since it has no access to your real NAS and data, the worst case scenario is you get compromised and have to swap out the boot SD card and reboot.

Using one as a v1 server you might have to re-copy your music too if that got corrupted. You can minimize that risk by mounting the music in read-only mode if you wish.

Yes Sonos should fix this but I can’t see a way to do that for S1 and while possible for S2 it is not a simple or fast project.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Sonos talk up S2 as a new operating system so it is BS that they don’t fix it. This is a very old flaw and shame on them that they have not fixed it yet. 

Yes there are work arounds but we shouldn’t require this on new hardware and an OS that was released in 2020. 

They lack the will to do it and frankly I hope people keep coming at them here and on social media until they fix this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos talk up S2 as a new operating system so it is BS that they don’t fix it. This is a very old flaw and shame on them that they have not fixed it yet. 

Yes there are work arounds but we shouldn’t require this on new hardware and an OS that was released in 2020. 

They lack the will to do it and frankly I hope people keep coming at them here and on social media until they fix this. 

S2 is not a new Operating System, it is a new user interface running on the same old, antique Linux Operating System.

The OS Sonos is using is from the early 2000s If I recall correctly. you can check in their GPL section.

They may well lack the will but it could be other resource constraints too.

I’m all for pressuring them to update S2, been there doing that since around 2016. But that won’t help S1 users who are stuck with SMB v1 for NAS access. Maybe if Sonos released the data needed for someone to do a NAS server like they use on Windows or Mac it would help.

Badge +4

I’m back here with the same issue,  new Synology User, and faced with the SMB1 issue.  For a long time on my prior NAS software solution I had a backup of the Music Library (it’s in ITunes format though my use of iTunes is really limited) on a desktop and just had SONOS point to that.  My music library is now near 25,000 tracks about 190 GB but really is growing much more slowly as I stream via services more and more and since I don’t commute anymore, my iphone music isn’t that important.  I took that backup offline due to space constraints on that PC, but maybe its worth going back to that for SONOS.  I have Plex and the music library was there, but I really use it to play music content.

I really don’t want to add more complexity that no one else in the house will ever figure out - Docker (OMG)… Maybe it just time to suck it up and go back and increase the size of that PC’s THIRD drive.

If this is really a legacy SONOS issue (and I have a few of them, sadly none of my 5 CC100’s anymore) then with the new S1 and S2 options, I would think that S2 would be a good place to fix the SMB1 problem (I assume its not fixed there, I’m still on S1).

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@cap3344 you are correct,

S2 has not fixed this glaring security problem.

There was a no indication that they will even fix it. 

Really…. stop harassing met about S2, first allow SMB2 or SMB3 support for “older” hardware. No more playing my own music from my own NAS? I will not invest in SONOS any longer.

I was very annoyed about the security hole that Sonos does not want to close!

In the last update of my Synology NAS, SMB1 was restricted. As a result, Sonos could no longer access the NAS music folder. Synology responded to the problem and provided an update within a week.

Sonos can take an example of how to respond to customer needs!

Since Sonos has not found a solution for years (no SMB2 or SMB3), I decided to sell my Sonos system.

Badge +4

I was very annoyed about the security hole that Sonos does not want to close!

In the last update of my Synology NAS, SMB1 was restricted. As a result, Sonos could no longer access the NAS music folder. Synology responded to the problem and provided an update within a week.

Sonos can take an example of how to respond to customer needs!

Since Sonos has not found a solution for years (no SMB2 or SMB3), I decided to sell my Sonos system.

can you post details about the Synology fix, would like to see if I can do something on my DS1520+

To fix the problem: https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/20/post/139200

Badge

If I don’t recall it wrongly, Samba 4.17 will remove support for SMBv1, those using a rolling type of distribution like Gentoo, Arch, Artix, Manjaro , you will need to uninstall samba, download the latest 4.16 version, compile it and install it manually and from time to time redo this when dependencies has been update to new versions, til a day when it will not compile anymore.

(Scroll down)

[Update] (2020/12/18)

If you insist on connecting in an insecure way, here is a special version which is compatible with NTLMv1. Once again, we strongly recommend that you report this issue to the manufacturer to support NTLMv2. For details, please see Security guidance for NTLMv1 and LM network authentication. and I cannot access shared folders via SMB from a Windows XP computer. What can I do?

Badge +4

thanks… I may decide to just avoid it… trying to get another drive into one of my Windows boxes to host SONOS media… grrrr

This discussion is in regards to the Sonos Controller software, correct?

I want to make sure that I’m not confused here. My experience with Sonos and SMB is trying to set up a folder from within the Sonos Controller that runs on a PC. And, that doesn’t seem to work unless it’s SMBv1.

It seems to me that the controller software has the ability to add local folders with music to the controller in a music library.

Presumably, that’s so the controller software can serve the bytes from the local music files to the Sonos speakers via some proxy scheme. 

If that’s the facts here. Why is firmware for the speakers part of this discussion at all?

If the controller software is what’s responsible for delivering bytes to the speakers, who cares what network protocol the speakers support?

If the controller software isn’t what’s actually serving bytes for local music files, why does it exist in the first place?

And if the controller software serves bytes from a local drive, why can’t it broker bytes from a network share on SMBv2/3? Why does the speaker care at all?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My perennial suggestion why not a Raspberry Pi as a dedicated to Sonos SMB v1 file server or cheaper, set up as a NAS (any protocol) to SMB v1 gateway?

SMB v1 sucks but getting away from it is not simple or easy for Sonos.

How to Pi NAS / Gateway: Live Journal

Today is a happy day!

I have decided to no longer accept the SMB1 security risk or the Plex route. The Sonos equipment is sold, and I will NEVER return back to Sonos, remembering the financial loss I made.

My new equipment (best choice in WhatHifi 2020 review) warns that in case the connection to the NAS does not work, I may have to switch to SMB2/3 !  Welcome to normal network technology, in stead of bringing one new device after another while bringing NAS users at risk.

Bye bye Sonos and fellow Sonos owners! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@lastmuel you are entirely mistaken. The controller is required to set up the link between the library and your speakers, yes. Once set up it is the speakers that read the files over the network, and have the SMBv1 limitation.

The controller is a remote control. It does not participate in playing music at all. (Unless using AirPlay or Android-on-this-device). It is not required once the music has been started.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

S2 is not a new Operating System, it is a new user interface running on the same old, antique Linux Operating System.

The OS Sonos is using is from the early 2000s If I recall correctly. you can check in their GPL section.

If Sonos 2 is not an new OS then Sonos should stop stop saying it is.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

The refusal by Sonos to declare where they stand on the SMB1/2/3 fiasco is appalling.

The least they could do is tell us the official position even if it is that they are not going to implement a real solution then at least we know where we stand.

It seems from what some users have found out that older Sonos 1 gear doesn’t have the memory to run SMB3, but why can’t Sonos spell this out clearly and advise if Sonos 2 gear does have adequate memory or is it simply not possible.

I have been combing through this forum wasting too much time looking for an answer to no avail. All I see is wishy washy non answers from Sonos staff. Not good enough Sonos. Lift your game.

Controlav, how do the speakers get access to local music files in a directory on a PC that has the Sonos controller installed? Is the controller software opening a file share on the PC using smb v1?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I think Sonos will be in trouble if they don’t fix this. Once DSM 7.0 is released, all Synology owners are going to jump ship. Most everyone I know that uses Sonos has a library they pull from on their Synology NAS. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I just don’t see this as a big issue, a NAS (any Linux supported protocol) to SMB v1 protocol converter / gateway is a few minutes work and about $25 using a Raspberry Pi Zero W.

I’d really feel silly taking a bath on dumping my Sonos on ebay or the like over such a minor issue.

Badge +1

I don’t see any merit in trying to second guess or debate the development and technical challenges on the Sonos side.

The subject of this thread is a feature request and there is clearly demand from the Sonos community for it, not least because of the well publicised security vulnerabilities present in SMB v1 which have already been exploited.

I too have Synology NAS drives and their upcoming DSM 7 software will disable access to my existing music library on Sonos which is a major issue for me. Workarounds are only feasible for some users and not an acceptable long term solution.

Synology have even provided a link to this thread from their own community forums in order to encourage people to request that Sonos address the issue - https://community.synology.com/enu/forum/20/post/139200

So go on Sonos, please can we have support for SMB v2/v3?