Restrict access to certain zones

• 1 September 2012
  • 195 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

195 replies

Any way we can just get back to the feature request? I truly want to keep following this thread but not if it's full of random rants.
I agree. This is a reasonable request that is long overdue. However, given that the CEO has been quoted in the past about his reluctance to add passwords or lock screens, I'm not sure if we will see it soon.
Userlevel 2
Any way we can just get back to the feature request? I truly want to keep following this thread but not if it's full of random rants.
I had to shower to Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus yesterday thanks to my kids having fun with my connect amp in my master bath. ugh
With all these personal attacks you keep spewing, I'm pretty sure everyone knows who's humping who's leg. *Yawn*
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
I had to shower to Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus yesterday thanks to my kids having fun with my connect amp in my master bath. ugh
If I remember correctly (and I do), you began this 'relationship' many moons ago with your responses to my posts, so who is humping whose leg? We know what you would do as a parent even without evidence against the guilty party. And that makes your suggestion irrelevant to many here.
Oh look, my leg humper is back. Like clockwork after every new release. Down boy! Down!! *rolleyes*
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Which kid? Which device? Maybe a friend or friend's kid who was over actually did it. You love group punishment. Not everyone believes in it. I suppose you'd just whip them all...
Sounds like it is time to confiscate a couple tablets/phones for a week. Guarantee it will never happen again.
Userlevel 2
This topic has been running for one year (!). I repeat: ONE YEAR. You guys really, *really* need to speed up software development, otherwise it will hamper sales. So, now that you're announcing the Play 1, please SONOS, fix this, once and for all. If multiple zones are not manageable, I will just simply NOT buy them for my kids. So the question becomes: do you want my business or not?
^ Agreed
This topic has been running for one year (!). I repeat: ONE YEAR. You guys really, *really* need to speed up software development, otherwise it will hamper sales. So, now that you're announcing the Play 1, please SONOS, fix this, once and for all. If multiple zones are not manageable, I will just simply NOT buy them for my kids. So the question becomes: do you want my business or not?
The problem is that everyone here already has Sonos, and in the case of "Marc" lots of the most expensive units - you've not been put off buying it due to lack of 'security/restrictions', and will probably continue to buy more Sonos products and to recommend them to your friends and family. Yes you might buy a couple of extra ones for the kids - in fact this was my first thought when I saw the Play:1 - but you're not about to ditch all the kit you already have. Whilst everyone in this topic would love some kind of restrictions to be available we don't represent the core of the Sonos market, just a small subset of enthusiasts. This is the 10th most popular request but only has 17% of the number of votes when compared to the #1 item of a Win8 RT version of Sonos Controller (which I personally will never have any interest in at all). The frustrating thing for me is that this is a software change, and probably not a difficult one at that - I know how hard it is to design simple easy to use products, and Sonos (when it works) is pretty easy when it comes to competitors. There's no hard in adding in some advanced features for those that want it, whilst leaving the default configuration simple and easy to use.
My (serious) suggestion: As the "idea" section doesn't find interest at SONOS (and as long as they are not willing to change this) they should better close ask.sonos.com. Not responding to all these suggestions (and there're lots) is just creating bad feelings / frustration about this company. (Hardware) Products are really great, but software is as poor as it can be.
Funny, by my count, Sonos just implemented at least 4 ideas from this site this very morning. Including a smaller Play:1, a modified mute, and being able to control multiple Sonos systems. Seems to me this Ideas section works just fine for people who requested those features.
Userlevel 2
What on earth was Digital saying? How does "Digital" (worst name ever btw) know it is not having an impact on sales? I say it IS having an impact on sales. I know people that won't buy the product because of this factor. They would prefer to simply have PCs/Laptops in their children's rooms with their own music on it so that this doesn't become an issue. I think it is about time SONOS looked a this issue seriously and updated the software in line with consumer demand. IMHO, the introduction of the play:1 was a bit silly over this. Those who wanted it used the excuse that the other speakers were too big for smaller rooms... turn the volume down!?!?!? I have Play:5s as my smallest speaker in my house and they work just fine in bathrooms, bedrooms etc.
My (serious) suggestion: As the "idea" section doesn't find interest at SONOS (and as long as they are not willing to change this) they should better close ask.sonos.com. Not responding to all these suggestions (and there're lots) is just creating bad feelings / frustration about this company. (Hardware) Products are really great, but software is as poor as it can be.
Userlevel 3
Badge
No one at Sonos, you mean, I presume?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
No one cares about this. It's not affecting sales. You don't hear of any lawsuits regarding hearing loss in one room caused by a child in the next room. Until you do, forget it.
Userlevel 3
Badge
we need this, too frustrating to have drunk guests at your party get on and change the music randomly...please add very soon.
Add me to the Hijacked group! My kids love to wait for me to be settled on a pool float and put on some awful music. I am adding a system to my bathroom and I just know they will wait to hear the shower door close before they put on something awful. we used to have this "fun" little issue with our apple tv's and airplay until I found the password function. its pretty simple. I put a simple password to restrict access. only my phone has airplay access to that device until I remove the password or the password is entered on another phone. I think the would be a simple solution for dorms and such. it could also restrict access for parties. just give the code to the person who you want to have access. as for a neighbor/friends having access to your network, I think it would be a good idea to just change your Wifi password once in a while.
Please add this feature asap.
Userlevel 3
Add me in for a way to restrict who can access and control what. My friends love to mess with my system from their phones when they come over to our house, and they do have WiFi access so restricting network access is not an option, now this is all fun play, but I really need a way to control who can get on the system, specifically who can make modifications to the system. E.g. If I setup a password/PIN, then you need the password to connect, not just press a button. This will prevent unauthorized users from connecting to the system. E.g. If I setup a password/PIN for specific zones, then you need the password to control the zone. This will allow me to let guests control the music in their room, but not allow them to configure the system or access other zones. E.g. If I setup a password/PIN to make configuration changes, then you need the password before you can make any configuration changes.
For most instances I suspect that we don't even need the password/pin feature. This topic seems to be trying to address a number of different problems, ranging from 'hijacking' to accidental use, filtering of content, restricting usage. The core requirement I have is to configure specific controllers to only show certain zones - e.g. the kids will just see the sonos players in their own bedrooms on their phones/ipods, and not the one in the master bedroom. I believe that the easiest way to implement this would be to add an additional open to the Room Settings list in the controller software, 'Show in this Controller (on)' - e.g. emulate the White Status Indicator Light option. Then in the My Sonos Players list, change the order to show 'non-hidden' players first, and then the 'hidden' ones. I'm hopeful that this kind of change isn't too much work for the team, and could address a number of the issues raised here. For me this is about preventing accidental use of rooms. Personally I'd deal with the problem of children changing the settings themselves in other ways ;o) Sonos are trying to achieve simplicity in their products, PIN codes, passwords, restricting players to sub-sets of music are not easy problems to solve, and no matter how they choose to address them (assuming they ever do), there will always be someone with a different view or opinion. Sonos products are designed for everyone to use with the minimum amount of technical knowledge, and I can understand the reluctance to incorporate anything that increases complexity, and thus confuses users, or makes support the product more difficult.
That's really funny, because in other threads, they say the fact that Sonos employees are *not* reading the thread is "proof" that they "just don't care", LOL. I guess it's "damned if you do, and damned if you don't."
this is really infuriating; Ryan E as an employee participating is actively showing that the SONOS staff are actually reading this thread... they just don't care
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi Marc, I merged your Idea into the existing thread that you linked to add to the overall feedback.
Userlevel 1
Badge
The request to add this feature is over 8 years old ... very very disappointing Sonos... http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=3271 Apr 26th, 2005