Replacement CR100?

• 31 January 2018
  • 81 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

81 replies

Badge +2
Another alternative. $39 each, but need the hub. Cheaper if several needed.

http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/sonos.aspx

This looks interesting - anyone using it and have feedback?
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
OK, contingency time for me and in no way diminishing the poor decision from Sonos which I find unacceptable, so "without prejudice":

The Samsung Galaxy Xcover 3 (SM-G388F) and Xcover 4 (SM-G390F) are both mildly ruggedised Android handsets that have "hard" buttons for Home, Back and Apps (or whatever its called) navigation. They also have a user definable ""Xcover" button which can be programmed to start an app e.g. Sonos app. Of course this could also be achieved with NFC tags situated in convenient locations.

Would it be possible to write an app that overrides the hard navigation buttons and uses them for Play/Pause, Back and Next Track? This would approximate to the CR100s best features - simplicity, water resistance and robustness.

The handsets themselves are relatively inexpensive altough still £150 - £200, but have easily replaceable batteries (a concern for Sonos). There's no dock that I know of, but that's an easy plastics moulding job and I imagine Sonos could negotiate a dedicated "White" version with Samsung, including a dock for very little since the only change would be colour and software (so little development cost). Given that there would be no requirement even for the mobile element (3G, 4G etc), it could be further reduced in cost. This has happened with tablets as my trust Sony Xperia Tablet 3 Compact was available also in a cheaper non-cellular version with Wi-Fi only.

Just quick and dirty thoughts since I've been more focused on the other CR100 thread.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Oh, and last time I looked, original replacement batteries with built-in NFC loop were available for the Xcover 3 for £10 - £13 and can be replaced by someone ham fisted in about 10 seconds.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I have an old Surface RT set to instant-on, instant-app. Starts up faster than my CR100s. Video on how to set this up: https://www.facebook.com/Phonos.application/videos/1658688324141871/
I have an old Surface RT set to instant-on, instant-app. Starts up faster than my CR100s. Video on how to set this up: https://www.facebook.com/Phonos.application/videos/1658688324141871/
Thanks for this, My old surface 2 is now sitting in the spot downstairs where my CR100 used to be. Only real difference is magnetic power rather than lifting out of the cradle. I still need a solution for upstairs, which I think is a case of finding a cheap android tablet that can pin the app.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
Just confirming, you can have the advertising turned off. My wife uses Kindle Fires in her classroom, and has had the advertising removed. Another benefit, for those interested, is that a Fire is also an additional Alexa device that provides voice control. I know that some have no desire for voice control, but it is offered if wanted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I looked at dealing with Amazon and instead picked up a Galaxy Tab at Costco cheap. I'd rather have simple and working than cheap.

Another good option is asking around, there are a lot of usable tablets stuck in junk drawers and your friends/family may be happy giving you one.
Userlevel 6
Badge +11
Have a look at the Vizio XR6M10 on ebay, makes a great Android Sonos controller and cheap
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
There seem to be 2 threads going that are about replacement options post the CR100 bricking.

I have posted on the other one but in case people arent following it I'm re posting here.

Basically, I have bought 3 Kindle Fires a few weeks ago and more recently a Lenovo Tab 7 Essesntial.

Just to clear up a detail from earlier in this thread, it is NOT possible to "pin" and app on the Kindle Fire. That facility is not in the skin that Amazon has put on the Fire.

On the Lenovo, latest thought are here:

First impressions are that "pinning" the app is pretty useless because it tells you on the screen how to turn it off. My attempts at making it require a password / PIN code if you DO turn it off have resulted in it asking for the PIN code every time you wake it up. What I'm trying to do is have it so no unlock code is required to use the tablet, but that it is "locked" to the Sonos app - with a code being required only if you want to exit that app.

The reason is that I want to leave this lying around and don't want the kids using it for anything other than Sonos. Maybe if I set up a user profile that only contains the Sonos app? Anyone know if that would work - I mean can you delete everything else?

Anyone who can suggest a solution?

In the meantime, off to look into a case for the back of it, so that I can hide a wireless charging receiver between it and the device. My plan is to get round the docking station issue by using a Qi charging receiver that plugs into the mini usb and is hidden by the case, so I can just leave it sitting on the charging pad. Anyone with experience of this?

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
There is a child profile to limit what they can do

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/amazon-fire-child-profile
Hi Kenneth,

Seems like I had similar requirements to you, and I think I've managed to achieve most of what I was looking for.

Rather than buying a new device, I dusted off an old (gen 1) Motorola Moto G, and upgraded it with LineageOS, so it's running Android 7.1 and should remain supported for a while. I chose a minimal install that gave access to the Play Store, but without any of the other Google apps, as they aren't needed. I only did this as the device was old and no longer receiving OS upgrades from Motorola. Whilst the Sonos app would have worked without the upgrade (the Moto G's last official OS was 5.11) I'm hoping this will extend it's useful life with a minimal amount of effort on my part in the future. Time will tell...

I bought a cheap wireless charging stand & a wireless changing receiver from Ebay (as I saw recommended on another thread here). These turned up yesterday, and so far are working OK. The receiver is very thin and fits inside the back case of the Moto G, so an additional case wasn't required.Despite claiming to be fast charging, they didn't seem very fast to me, but took the device from flat to fully charged in a couple of hours. That's fine for my use case, as it will spend most of its time on the charging stand anyway. The charging stand is a round disk set at a 45% angle with a small lip at the bottom. It's a bit slippy and if it becomes too annoying I might replace it with a slightly better one.

I created a separate Google account for the device, and installed the "Fully Kiosk Browser" application from the Play Store as recommended by Daniel_128. This took a bit of tweaking, but after configuring it in single app mode, it now launches the Sonos app when the device is turned on. It's not perfect (I can't fully get rid of the navigation buttons at present due to them being controlled by the running app) but it does make it pretty impossible to break out of the app without a fairly determined effort (needs a special screen tapping pattern followed by a pin to get to the setup screen). It also supports enabling the screen when it detects motion, so the screen comes on as soon as I pick up the device.

Finally, I disabled the lock screen, and configured the navigation buttons to auto-hide. I'm pretty satisfied that it replicates the CR100 as much as possible for a re-purposed phone. The volume controls work, and I'm pleased with its responsiveness. I'd certainly be happy to give it to my children without worrying that they were secretly checking out pictures of HomePods on the internet. The total cost to me was about £17 (charging stand, receiver & Fully Kiosk license).
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
It seems a shame that we are having to work all this out for ourselves. I am not tech-clever enough to follow all the steps discussed here, that is why I purchased Sonos in the first place, it WAS very simple to set up (just plug in and follow the three step setup).

Rather than a £100 voucher it would have been more helpful if Sonos could have done a deal with another hardware manufacturer and offered us the option of purchasing a replacement (already configured) unit at a small discount. Win, Win, Win - Sonos get the credit for looking after their user base (rather than being flamed), the other hardware manufacturer get some sales and most likely a future income stream and we get a simple replacement option without all the heartache!

But life is never as simple as it should be!! 😉
It seems a shame that we are having to work all this out for ourselves. I am not tech-clever enough to follow all the steps discussed here, that is why I purchased Sonos in the first place, it WAS very simple to set up (just plug in and follow the three step setup).

Rather than a £100 voucher it would have been more helpful if Sonos could have done a deal with another hardware manufacturer and offered us the option of purchasing a replacement (already configured) unit at a small discount. Win, Win, Win - Sonos get the credit for looking after their user base (rather than being flamed), the other hardware manufacturer get some sales and most likely a future income stream and we get a simple replacement option without all the heartache!

But life is never as simple as it should be!! ;)
i can only agree that that would have been a better approach from Sonos, although I am sceptical about the pre-configuration.

Setting up these tablets is straightforward with lots of hand-holding. Making them safe for child use yet still convenient takes a bit more work but Google is your friend. I can understand frustration at having to do it at all, but I don't think anyone should be daunted by it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
... Very nice solution, would be far superior to the CR100 as a Sonos remote.Well you may think so but (as I think you must be aware) not for everyone!

Not wall mountable, not splash-proof, no hard buttons and that is just for starters! 😛
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
Well you may think so but (as I think you must be aware) not for everyone!

Not wall mountable, not splash-proof, no hard buttons and that is just for starters! :P

And you shall be aware that nowadays a dedicated Sonos Remote device would prove itself a dead wood on the retailer's shelf.

Aware - But not the issue of this tread which is good (or at least the best) alternative for a CR100. On that subject I was taking issue with the phrase "be far superior to the CR100 as a Sonos remote."
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
[...] Aware - But not the issue of this tread which is good (or at least the best) alternative for a CR100. On that subject I was taking issue with the phrase "be far superior to the CR100 as a Sonos remote."
Well, the CR100 has been a partially supported piece of hardware for a long time now (since 2013?); to that effect the Android/ioS controller is far superior to the CR100.
We must agree to differ on that then. As nothing the CR100 cannot do is need by us and what it does do, it does better than any of the Apps (and this has been the case since 2009 when CR100 support ended).

Not wall mountable, not splash-proof, no hard buttons and that is just for starters! :P

Do I REALLY need to point out all the splash proof cases and wall mounts available for tablets? Besides, a Sonos One doesn’t need to be touched at all, so it’s the perfect bathroom and kitchen solution, without the need for buttons. This thread is about replacing the CR100, not whining about its demise.

https://www.armor-x.com/case/google-nexus/nexus-pad.html?dir=asc&order=news_from_date

Unfortunately the Sonos One is still running a beta version of the Sonos skill which does not support local libraries. Since many CR100 users listen to local music exclusively this will not (yet) work as an alternative.

The Nexus has no hard buttons which makes it a non starter unless it has some other alternative to a touch screen like voice control.

The best replacement I have found so far is the NEEO remote which has hard buttons, a nice display, and does not rely on the controller app which many CR100 users are looking to avoid.
Badge +4
After digging around, found that my wife had a Samsung Galaxy S5 in her closet (replaced in turn by S7 and S8). So I started work on a factory reset, did some research and found demos of the S5 being left under water for an hour and doing fine. So loaded up Sonos app, pinned it as per directions and its doing fine. The issue of finding a wall mounted charging cradle for an S5 is a challenge. Found a desk docking station that I think I can pair with a Sonos CC100 (cradle) with some careful cutting and trimming and get it back into the same place as the former CR100. This might actually work. Some issues with pinning - it does not persist across power rebooting and software install/update may require the app to be unpinned. But once learned (and it's different on each Android version), it's not that hard to do. There are some Kiosk apps around that off persistence, but you still need to deal with getting access to Settings and/or PlayStore. My 2 cents.. 😃
A good alternative, which can be configured to control a specific zone. https://iportproducts.com/xpress/#xpress-intro
How do you pin the app? I've set up a fire tablet with guest account that can only access sonos, but you still have to open the app. How do you pin it so that the app just runs on top? That sounds like the perfect solution for me
Badge +4
I'm ticked at the CR100 elim and posted topic elsewhere, but I think that SONOS Inc. should explicitly offer config info for Amazon Kindle's as well as iOS and Android devices. Since they already have a cozy relationship via Alex it makes sense. Also rather than buy a non-name cheap Android tablet, I'd be more comfortable buying a device from Amazon. Maybe someday a total control via Alexa will be possible, but based on my experience, that's a long way off - unless I also buy a teleprompter!!
Userlevel 2
Badge
I was hoping to see recommendations that included a charging cradle. I don't want to have to muck with the charging cable. just like the CR100 🙂 suggestions??
You may want to re-read jgatie's second post above.
Another alternative. $39 each, but need the hub. Cheaper if several needed.

http://www.casetawireless.com/Pages/sonos.aspx
Userlevel 7
Badge +5
Another alternative is $39 Echo Dots, and soon, Google Minis. I use voice at least 80% of the time now to control Sonos. Nothing is more natural.
I agree... WHEN it works... - I have 4 Echo Dots around the house, one is in a bathroom near to one of my CR100's... I would dearly love to switch to voice control (I've been striving towards it and experimenting for decades with various systems), but it just isn't there yet... far too often I'm in the bath repeating myself until I'm blue in the face, and eventually give up & reach for the CR100 just beside me... - would have been quicker to do that in the first place... Point is... the CR100 is rock solid reliable pretty much 100% of the time. Alexa is not, and that equates to a degraded user experience. (and no, I'm not a Scot, a Scouser, or a Cockney... I have a very plain, clear, almost "accent-less" accent) 🆒