Password to avoid guests changing music

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

186 replies

I thought about that but it just adds a level of complexity a 19 y/o nursing student doesn't need. I don't want to be tech support just so she can get her jam on.
It's surely better that than a Sonos player bursting into life at 4 a.m. because someone thought it might be 'fun'.
It would really be quite simple in her dorm. I take it on the road in my RV and most of the time it works well, but when WIFI is wonky, that is when I struggle with it. With a solid constant signal, once she is set up, she will be fine. You can even get her a regular wireless router to plug into the school's network if it is a wired type.
I thought about that but it just adds a level of complexity a 19 y/o nursing student doesn't need. I don't want to be tech support just so she can get her jam on.
Get her a NetGear Trek so she can tap into the school's wifi but yet have Sonos connected to it securely.
How about a real scenario: I want to buy my daughter a Sonos for her dorm room, but on the school's network, the player would be open to anyone else in the building. How can she lock it down to just herself?
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
I like the idea of being able to interfere with my neighbours / friends system, but then I have a bizarre sense of humour.....

This is a slightly bizarre request - after all how many people have friends that would simply start helping themselves to the contents of your fridge without asking, would you need a lock on all of your cupboard doors? Only my close family would do that, no one else would, any more than they would download the sonos app and start operating my system. I can understand kids friends doing it, but that's just down to parental discipline and control surely - if you're there then it's easy enough to stop them, if you're not there, hide the gear somewhere, or disable it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
I fail to see how party mode would be in any way an obscure feature. It would allow sonos to work much like any jukebox since the 1940s. People can queue up songs, but thats it.

The guest wifi offers a part solution in keeping guests off your private home network, but it doesn't allow them to contribute to the party by adding music.
Guess I'll never understand folks who ask continuously for an obscure feature that might be of interest to 100 customers. If the cost to implement outweighs the benefits, it simply won't happen. Move on, end of discussion. But they just don't get it.
As I stated earlier on in the thread, I agree with Chris. "Party" mode where the host controls the settings, groupings, queue editing, etc. and the guests get to add to the end of the queue is a use case that cannot be covered by other (more effective) means.

Troll bait? Physician, heal thyself.

You are the one who continuously derails threads by making it about the posters and not the posts. Not once have I veered off-topic until I was attacked for my post count or my posting style (which, as we all know, is difficult to judge over the internet, and is more often a reflection on the reader, not the poster). So why don't YOU take it to PM the next time you have a personal problem with my posting style. Or better yet, if you feel I'm abusing anyone, report the post and let the mods do their job instead of you. That way, we can all ignore you and get back on topic? Deal?

Again let's get back on topic I'm not taking the bait. Typical Tuesday. If you would like to discuss further feel free to pm.

Edited Post: Stay courteous Max. P.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Legnum - I'm with you on the guests in house showing some respect thing. I mean if I am willing to give someone my wifi password. Then they open up sonos and it asks for password for Sonos - what would I say then "No I trust you with my computer network and files but I don't trust your music taste sorry". I mean the average person is going to give them the Sonos password then too.

It isn't a password for the entire app that I would want. What I want is a basic mode and power user mode that the power user can unlock with a pin code in setup. Basic users can only add songs to the end of a queue and not much more. No volume control, no grouping control etc. And this really is just for the fact that inexperienced users (and even myself sometimes) can accidentally play next or replace queue in a hurry.

So in this case everyone has access to the Sonos app. However, me as the power user can control volume and review songs being added to the queue (and move them up or down, delete to my liking). Collaboration with some monitoring.
OK I'm not going to take the troll bait. You have issues that's your problem. Instead of derailing this thread use the pm to send your personal attacks. Otherwise let's get back on topic about this missing feature.

Troll bait? Physician, heal thyself.

You are the one who continuously derails threads by making it about the posters and not the posts. Not once have I veered off-topic until I was attacked for my post count or my posting style (which, as we all know, is difficult to judge over the internet, and is more often a reflection on the reader, not the poster). So why don't YOU take it to PM the next time you have a personal problem with my posting style. Or better yet, if you feel I'm abusing anyone, report the post and let the mods do their job instead of you. That way, we can all ignore you and get back on topic? Deal?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
I'm not sure I understand this feature request myself either.

Before Sonos, if I had a party any guest could change the CD, change the record, swap the cassette, re-tune the radio. Other than some tracks having some nasty language, I can;t see any content issues at the moment where I would want to protect my kids. It seems that the most disrespect mentioned on this thread is the people who think it is okay to abuse the stereo that they have access to.

Each to their own, lets all embrace the differences between people round the world etc!
OK I'm not going to take the troll bait. You have issues that's your problem. Instead of derailing this thread use the pm to send your personal attacks. Otherwise let's get back on topic about this missing feature.

IMO effectively telling posters to learn how to parent is haranguing yes. Telling posters to stop whining, "pissing and moaning" and accept the half measure work around here is haranguing yes. Asking a corporation to implement a missing feature is not. Even if the CEO said five years ago that they wouldn't do it and even if it has been debated for years and even if they post about it 50 times and the idea is a terrible idea that you don't understand. JuanB is asking Sonos for a feature, not you.

You should check before you quote someone. I specifically detailed what I feel is pissing and moaning, even going so far as to delineate between those simply asking for a feature and those who are (IMHO) "pissing and moaning". But don't let the facts get in the way of you (once again) making this thread all about your personal peeve over a few posters who have made you look the fool in the past. Shtickers gotta shtick.

Yes, with the self-appointed forum devil's advocate making his usual sarcastic remarks against forum regulars, it is just another day here in the forum. Next you'll post about how awesome Squeezebox is, and the day will be complete, right? Get some new shtick, dude. :rolleyes

Ooh forum regulars sorry you don't like my posts forum regulars. Resisting the urge to bring my self down to the your level in the gutter. Ignore feature needed.
When a suggestion for resolution is offered for years in several flavors and they are ignored because of continuing feature demands, which continue to get more and more belligerent because the feature isn't delivered yesterday, then yes... that is the definition of haranguing. Not so much on juan's part, but there are numerous instances throughout this thread.

IMO effectively telling posters to learn how to parent is haranguing yes. Telling posters to stop whining, "pissing and moaning" and accept the half measure work around here is haranguing yes. Asking a corporation to implement a missing feature is not. Even if the CEO said five years ago that they wouldn't do it and even if it has been debated for years and even if they post about it 50 times and the idea is a terrible idea that you don't understand. JuanB is asking Sonos for a feature, not you.
@juanb +1 when users call your posts haranguing pissing and moaning etc the debate has turned from the idea to personal attacks. Just a typical Monday here.

Yes, with the self-appointed forum devil's advocate making his usual sarcastic remarks against forum regulars, it is just another day here in the forum. Next you'll post about how awesome Squeezebox is, and the day will be complete, right? Get some new shtick, dude. :rolleyes
When a suggestion for resolution is offered for years in several flavors and they are ignored because of continuing feature demands, which continue to get more and more belligerent because the feature isn't delivered yesterday, then yes... that is the definition of haranguing. Not so much on juan's part, but there are numerous instances throughout this thread.
@juanb +1 when users call your posts haranguing pissing and moaning etc the debate has turned from the idea to personal attacks. Just a typical Monday here.
If that is what you call disrespect, then you need to get a thicker skin.

And by the way, you are welcome for the suggestion on how to solve your problem. Next time maybe I and others will try to keep our outrageous post counts down by not bothering to help.
Badge

Name one way I have not been respectful.of you? Disagreement is not disrespect. And as soon as people start mentioning post count, I know the debate has turned into personal attacks, per usual. "Respect" is a two way street, sir.

Let's see: most recently referring to legitimate raising of issues on a technical board as "haranguing". Previously referring to posters as "pissing and moaning" or "continued bleating" or having "parenting issues". Those are all insulting terms and really not necessary. Perhaps you don't see those as signs of disrespect, but I do.

And by the way, they are working on it. Guest mode for the Sonos and, if needed, direct control of Sonos without joining wifi.
I wouldn't call it haranguing, but as you wish. Perhaps I'll stop "haranguing" a corporation that has no problem seeing feedback on its forums and assessing it dispassionately when you stop haranguing individual users on a forum. You may be a "Rock Star" with almost 10,000 replies, but that is clearly no measure of your respectful treatment of those with different opinions from yours.

Name one way I have not been respectful.of you? Disagreement is not disrespect. And as soon as people start mentioning post count, I know the debate has turned into personal attacks, per usual. "Respect" is a two way street, sir.
I m guessing the posters offering parental advice are not millennials.

I'm not, but my kids are... And they respect my toys, as I do theirs. I've never had a problem with them as far as Sonos goes.
Digressing a little - I didn't get the millennial reference in the context of parental advice. How has parenting changed - which is presumably what you are referring to.