Skip to main content

Need multiple Sonos accounts on 1 system

• 4 December 2023
  • 40 replies

I’ve read a couple posts, and it appears you cannot use multiple Sonos accounts on 1 system. I would like to raise a feature request to enable this. It is ridiculous that the leader in connected speakers doesn’t handle multiple users properly. Each user should have their own Sonos account. This is a serious design flaw and it should be corrected. If there is a solution that enables multiple Sonos accounts and I haven’t found it, please let me know. If not, then please make this an enhancement request.

40 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

The new Sonos web app makes this a necessity, especially if it’s a precursor to deprecating the desktop app. It requires a login (I guess over the open internet), while current the desktop app works on a network-local basis.

(Honestly didn’t read this whole thread, but it seemed like a good place to make this point)

I am a business owner...I mostly work in a vacation community...IE...most of my clients have multiple homes.  They do not set them up...I do. Control 4 is my main automation system.  My customers request multiple accounts on multiple homes and businesses.  I need to program them all with my phone and currently cannot.  Your customer support is very long waits. Always more than an hour minimum.  I have been in the AV business for over 30 years.  Comparing it to Samsung TVs and camera systems is an illegitimate comparison.  Control 4 has had this same issue forever. Now it's solved.  And those who say it is a fair comparison have never done this for a living.  And do not work in the industry.  There are hundreds of thousands of installers/ business owners.  Stop asking customers what they want. They don't know and never will.  It is up to us as salesman and business owners to decide how to impliment these large scale changes.  Ask us...many of us, not end users. They do not know how things actually work,only what we tell them Example : 1 client 3 Homes plus a separate law firm that he works in.  Need an easy way to toggle between systems when moving to that other location. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I am a business owner...I mostly work in a vacation community...IE...most of my clients have multiple homes.  They do not set them up...I do. Control 4 is my main automation system.  My customers request multiple accounts on multiple homes and businesses.  I need to program them all with my phone and currently cannot.  Your customer support is very long waits. Always more than an hour minimum.  I have been in the AV business for over 30 years.  Comparing it to Samsung TVs and camera systems is an illegitimate comparison.  Control 4 has had this same issue forever. Now it's solved.  And those who say it is a fair comparison have never done this for a living.  And do not work in the industry.  There are hundreds of thousands of installers/ business owners.  Stop asking customers what they want. They don't know and never will.  It is up to us as salesman and business owners to decide how to impliment these large scale changes.  Ask us...many of us, not end users. They do not know how things actually work,only what we tell them Example : 1 client 3 Homes plus a separate law firm that he works in.  Need an easy way to toggle between systems when moving to that other location. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

Have you tried the Dealer Support line? Its supposed to be a lot quicker than the regular one.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

would be great in fact to allow multiple account on Sonos move.

we are sharing an house during vacation with 1 Sonos move and it would be great to be able to use it with personal Sonos account.

need to reset each time a user is in the house and want to play. More over, major account locked the device.

should be nice to request an access to the admin so that it could allow using the device. When he leaves the house, he could disconnect user.

Hello,

we are sharing an house during vacation with 1 Sonos move and it would be great to be able to use it with personal Sonos account.

need to reset each time a user is in the house and want to play. More over, major account locked the device.

should be nice to request an access to the admin so that it could allow using the device. When he leaves the house, he could disconnect user.

No, you do not need to factory reset the Sonos Move at all. Just add the WiFi network to it that’s present/available at each location. The Move will support up-to 16 WiFi networks. See ‘example’ screenshot attached of multiple WiFi networks added to one Sonos Household in the new App - devices in that HH will auto-connect to any of the WiFi networks that you have listed in the Sonos App.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello,

No, you do not need to factory reset the Sonos Move at all. Just add the WiFi network to it that’s present/available at each location. The Move will support up-to 16 WiFi networks. See ‘example’ screenshot attached of multiple WiFi networks added to one Sonos Household in the new App - devices in that HH will auto-connect to any of the WiFi networks that you have listed in the Sonos App.

Hi,

Ok for that but how do you stream music from the Sonos app on the move

I have a message asking me to log in with the owner account of the Sonos. 

Hi,

The Sonos App is not a music player it’s a ‘remote’ and so any service you see in that App streams direct from the source to the Move. The app can be closed (just as an example) and the chosen streaming audio will continue. The App just needs to be linked to the same Sonos Household.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hi,

The Sonos App is not a music player it’s a ‘remote’ and so any service you see in that App streams direct from the source to the Move. The app can be closed (just as an example) and the chosen streaming audio will continue. The App just needs to be linked to the same Sonos Household.

So I have the Sonos app and a Sonos account with all my settings, why can’t I remote the device?

… and by the way, the only service I can stream on the device I don’t belong is Sonos radio.

I can’t add my music service with all my playlist, lunch them and close the app because I need to be the owner. Owner is the co owner of the house but we can’t share the Sonos move :).

Hi,

So I have the Sonos app and a Sonos account with all my settings, why can’t I remote the device?

… and by the way, the only service I can stream on the device I don’t belong is Sonos radio.

I can’t add my music service with all my playlist, lunch them and close the app because I need to be the owner. Owner is the co owner of the house but we can’t share the Sonos move :).

Maybe see if the attached screen-capture and comments below, assist you. It shows a Sonos App that was once logged into a users account (er… mine) I added the music services to the Household and then logged out. It needs an account credentials to add services to an Household so that it knows what services are available to where the system/household is located (in which region/country etc.) As not all services are available everywhere the world over.

Anyhow, even when logged out, the App can then use the services in the registered Sonos Household, which is (always) linked to a user account. The App need not be logged in but it needs to be linked to a Sonos Household.

Does that perhaps assist you?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

For remote access use play.sonos.com on a large-screen device.

Music service users have NOTHING to do with the user of the Sonos account (the “owner” as you call it). You can add multiple music service accounts to a Sonos system, at least three accounts per service, so you can add yours, your wife’s and your kid’s if you like.

Userlevel 1
Badge

For remote access use play.sonos.com on a large-screen device.

Music service users have NOTHING to do with the user of the Sonos account (the “owner” as you call it). You can add multiple music service accounts to a Sonos system, at least three accounts per service, so you can add yours, your wife’s and your kid’s if you like.

Sorry I’m not clear.

First request is using the device with another Sonos account that the owner without resetting.

My Sonos app, I’m using at my home with my arc, detects the Sonos move but I’m not able to add music service because I’m not the owner (pop up message asking me to use login owner).

I don’t want to use the owner account (login/pass) every time I came in the house.

it would be great to request access to the owner, and when access is granted, use my Sonos setting on the Sonos move.

Sorry I’m not clear.

First request is using the device with another Sonos account that the owner without resetting.

My Sonos app, I’m using at my home with my arc, detects the Sonos move but I’m not able to add music service because I’m not the owner (pop up message asking me to use login owner).

I don’t want to use the owner account (login/pass) every time I came in the house.

it would be great to request access to the owner, and when access is granted, use my Sonos setting on the Sonos move.

There’s currently no way to link a controller App to two Sonos Households at the same time.  If there are multiple Sonos Households on the same WiFi network, then more often than not, users tend to aim to keep the Households separate with their own controllers.

As an example, the parents in a Home can have their own Sonos system and their teenage children can each have their own (separate) Sonos system aswell, each using their own mobile phones as controllers, but all are held on the same network subnet.

Theres nothing lo stop a user switching their controller to connect to a different Sonos Household, but to then add their own music services to that Household the owner of the HH has to be signed into the controller to provide the authority/permission for the ‘guest’ to add their own services. So it’s often done in this way for security reasons, I suspect.

Another example perhaps is an Airbnb, where there is an existing Sonos system - you can either use that existing system as a ‘guest’ and use the owners built-in music services, or you can add your own Move speaker to the local WiFi LAN (by adding the WiFi network to the HH) and use your own music services, you just cannot do both at the same time, using the same controller App - at least it’s not possible at the moment.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Sorry I’m not clear.

There’s currently no way to link a controller App to two Sonos Households at the same time.  If there are multiple Sonos Households on the same WiFi network, then more often than not, users tend to aim to keep the Households separate with their own controllers.

As an example, the parents in a Home can have their own Sonos system and their teenage children can each have their own (separate) Sonos system aswell, each using their own mobile phones as controllers, but all are held on the same network subnet.

Theres nothing lo stop a user switching their controller to connect to a different Sonos Household, but to then add their own music services to that Household the owner of the HH has to be signed into the controller to provide the authority/permission for the ‘guest’ to add their own services. So it’s often done in this way for security reasons, I suspect.

Hello,

no need to be connecter at the same time. Just need to be connected when I’m using the Sonos and the owner out of the house.

seems to be a classic use case, as AirPlay or Bluetooth.

No need to share login/pass to access music services.

Hello,

no need to be connecter at the same time. Just need to be connected when I’m using the Sonos and the owner out of the house.

seems to be a classic use case, as AirPlay or Bluetooth.

No need to share login/pass to access music services.

It’s not currently possible, so it would need to be put forward as a feature request to Sonos. At the moment you can only use the services that the owner has added to the Household of course your own music service can be added, but the owner needs to authorise that - if the owner is not there to authorise it then you’re stuck.

If you have your own speaker(s) with you, then those can be put on the local WiFi and as the owner, you can add whatever music services you want to, even another persons music service if they will allow that - it’s usually done though from their own mobile App in some cases.