Murfie ceased operations

• 21 November 2019
  • 81 replies

Hello.  The Murfie website says they have ceased operations.  As of today, my collection is still streaming but I cannot reach anyone there.  I have about 600 discs uploaded as FLAC files there and am very concerned to be able to retrieve those in tact.

Anyone else use Murfie or any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bigdog39

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

81 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

The front page says they’ve ceased ops, but the login page still comes up for me. I’ve never had an account so I can’t test the login, but try quickly. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Login page direct link

Thanks.  Still same message through log-in page.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Thanks for letting us know! I’ll reach out to the team to look into it. I hadn’t heard anything about them ceasing operations, but it may have been a sudden or internal only discussion. I’ll let you know if we hear any details that we can share.

If the service has indeed shut their doors, we’ll be removing their listing from Sonos if they’re no longer operating.

I’m in the same boat with Murfie - I had 878 albums with them and they closed with no communication effective immediately as of yesterday.  I can’t reach anyone with the company.  This is incredibly disheartening.

Madriddm:  I have reached out, with little hope, to a small business owner (hi-fi stereo shop) in the Madison area who sent me to Murfie a couple years back.  Hopefully, she can gain some insight for us.

I am sick about this as well.  My library is till streaming as of now, love the service I received and the quality of sound that was reproduced from my collection.

Keep posted via this forum.

Thanks so much Bigdog.  I’d love to know if there is any way to recover music from them - even if I need to pay to have my discs shipped back I’d gladly do so rather than lose out on 10K + of music I collected and entrusted in their hands.  I downloaded all of their legal disclaimers before they folded last night which I’d be happy to share with you if needed.

Thanks for the offer, may take you up on it.  

Hopeful

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I've heard back from the team that the message on the Murfie site is correct. They are indeed ceasing operations. The service will be removed from Sonos tomorrow, as it likely already won't play. We're sorry to see Murfie go silent, and hope for the best for everyone involved.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

There are many options for adding a local music library server, some good topics here already or if anyone is interested ask away and folks will be happy to offer suggestions.

Badge

Greetings to all, and I also trusted this page, I always visited every day to buy albums, there was never a notice given in time to download in FLAC even what I bought, just listen to it via its website via streaming, but the same Wednesday (yesterday ) I was surprised that he said the following on his page "Murfie is Shutting Down, As of Wednesday, November 20th, Murfie has shut down. Thank you all for your years of support." I turned pale, I pressed the REQUEST button like crazy to have my CD albums delivered to me in FLAC format, but there was a request error, I thought it would be fixed or it would be a hacked website, but no, today they closed completely, in Several forums have read the care with giving confidence to this web Murfie, hopefully we join and demand from this company.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I feel for everyone affected by this. This is one reason why I still buy cd’s much there the amusement of my children. 

Badge

Hello.  The Murfie website says they have ceased operations.  As of today, my collection is still streaming but I cannot reach anyone there.  I have about 600 discs uploaded as FLAC files there and am very concerned to be able to retrieve those in tact.

Anyone else use Murfie or any suggestions?

Thank you,

Bigdog39

As a Sonos speaker owner and record collector who entrusted over 500 disks to Murfie, I was surprised by what Murfie did on Wednesday.  I’m still able to use the Murfie player to listen to the disks.  A while back, Murfie indicated in its FAQ section that if it went belly up, it would return my collection.  That’s a big matter that Murfie has better answer.  

I found this:

https://murfie.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/434271-what-happens-to-my-collection-if-something-happens

The pricing link for return shipping is unsurprisingly dead.

Thanks for the replies.  Fortunately for me, I have my original discs however, I purchased dozens of discs from the site which were uploaded and I did not take delivery.  I have a credit card on file with the organization.  If there was only a way to receive the collection in the FLAC format that it exists on the Murfie servers, presumably located in Madison?  

With my level of trust shattered, I will need to find a solution such as NAS to store those discs, use the SONOS library app to organize and play.  Murfie had a method to rip those discs much faster than real time, so I did not have to spend all of my retirement years on the project.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

What’s really strange is there is nothing on the Murfie twitter feed about this, not do there seem to be customers tweeting them about it - I find that incredibly odd.  There are no news reports that I can seem to find on Google, but granted, I’ve only spent a few minutes looking in between stuff at work.

Lots of startups have gone bust, but this one seems odd due to how … quiet … it is.  Only thing I can find of note is this from the Google cache:

It does seem odd that there are zero relevant news stories coming up on a simple search. The only corroborative info I could find was on Wikipedia.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I’d never heard of this service, but do I understand it right — you would ship your CDs to them and they would rip and then store the physical media ??  

Hmmm not sure I’d be so trusting.  Why would you give your CDs up to this company and not shove them in a box and stick ‘em in the garage ?   Just my cynical point of view, sorry.

Andrew.

I feel for everyone affected by this. This is one reason why I still buy cd’s much there the amusement of my children. 

Quite…

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

As I mentioned last night, we’ve confirmed with Murfie that they are no longer going to be offering services, however I don’t have any details about what will happen with collections.

As of now, Murfie has been removed from Sonos as a music service.  

Quite…

I feel for them too. The users of Murfie generally also bought their CDs. The service offered people the ability to send them CDs and they’d give you digital high quality access anywhere you went to those CDs, at any time. It was a neat idea, and a good option for some people with lots of CDs who didn’t have the time or technology to digitize them on their own. 

Thanks Ryan.  I am still able to access my music through SONOS as of right now.  Is it possible that will remain as - is in the near future?  Perhaps they have ceased accepting new customers and scaled back payroll, not sure how that works on your end as SONOS?

Anyway, assuming this goes away and we are unable to retrieve the FLAC files we paid to have created, I will be looking:

Since I still have my physical collection, to find someone else to rip the discs into a lossless format that I can access through SONOS which works awesome for me.

Appreciate your feed back.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Bigdog, speaking as an IT guy, what’s most likely is that they’ve bailed on operations and things are simply running because they’re paid up through the end of the month (or whatever cycle) and things are carrying on due to inertia.  Once the hosting provider doesn’t get paid, their servers will likely get shut off and then your streaming will stop.  Sorry to say, but it looks a lot like how many internet startups went once the VC stream ended and the “smart guys” bailed.

For those that srill have the disks, there are quite a few services that will rip collections and immediately return the CDs.

But it doesn't take long to rip a few CDs, and you can do other stuff while it's chuntering away. Ten or 15 disks a week would sort the collections mentioned on this thread within a year. 

A subscription to a streaming service for a few months would tide you over short term.

Just a suggestion. 

Thanks to all for your suggestions.

Badge

they sent me a message:

Unfortunately, Mufie has ceased operations. The senior debt holders of the company will determine the process by which you may retrieve any physical media that you may have stored at Murfie, and will be in contact regarding it. Thank you for your support over the years. 

The Murfie Team