Answered

Google Home

• 17 September 2017
  • 65 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

65 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well yeah who knows why the missed deadline.
Maybe google will keep kicking it into the long grass for a while to max out sales period of their own speakers & voice stuff, that makes a good conspiracy theory with no blame on sonos ;);)
OH DEAR you have just lit the disappointment fuse.
This will explode on here, and you have missed all the black Friday & xmas sales.
At least sonos have been honest with their loyal customers.

This integration requires collaboration with Google. Who knows who is responsible for the delay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
OH DEAR you have just lit the disappointment fuse.
This will explode on here, and you have missed all the black Friday & xmas sales.
At least sonos have been honest with their loyal customers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi folks,

We just made a blog post with an update about Google Home integration with Sonos. You can read the post here.
Harmony just updated their Google integration. Not sure how good their Sonos integration is, but might work to control Sonos from Google Home for the impatient... No idea, really.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/10/16/logitech-harmony-direct-control-finally-live-google-assistant-home-limitations/
I have connected Yonomi as you say, but you need a first class degree to then work out any commands. A simple question : how do you actually get A Sonos One speaker to recognise a "hey Google" command? I haven't managed it yet. Sonos still only recognises "alexa" commands, and my Google Home "hey Google". No matter how I try and configure it. All very confusing and the pics provided don't help one bit. All Yanomi does for me after adding a schedule is to play my favourite music channel on Sonos via a click in the app.

Yonomi, or any third party app or dev tool, isn't going to get Sonos One to respond to 'Hey Google'. All these workarounds can do is allow you to give voice commands to a product that currently has Google voice services for the purpose of controlling Sonos.

You'll need to wait till Sonos releases Google Home integration in order to speak to Google through your Sonos One.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
google home hub looks interesting as a xmas pressie
ttps://www.techradar.com/uk/reviews/google-home-hub
Google Minnie. :D

I well understand this is possible (Yoyomi) and I've zero interest in chasing that rabbit down the hole. I'd rather use my mobile app in hand than spend time on a stop-gap for which very specific context commands are needed for very limited control. Just not worth it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I've done that already. Then what?
You have to add yanomi to your google home app, it's going to act like the middle man between google home and sonos. You can add it under "home control".
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
I have connected Yonomi as you say, but you need a first class degree to then work out any commands. A simple question : how do you actually get A Sonos One speaker to recognise a "hey Google" command? I haven't managed it yet. Sonos still only recognises "alexa" commands, and my Google Home "hey Google". No matter how I try and configure it. All very confusing and the pics provided don't help one bit. All Yanomi does for me after adding a schedule is to play my favourite music channel on Sonos via a click in the app.
It's coming soon, allegedly by the end of the year (probably right in time for Black Friday). In the meantime, Yonomi is your best best. It's a certified 'works with Sonos' app, and it's been working great for me so far. https://www.the-ambient.com/how-to/google-assistant-home-sonos-controls-guide-272
Most everyone has been quite patient. I too have parroted the "it was promised in 2018, no earlier" sentiment. And, while that is still true I very much understand the frustration. It's been exactly (to the day) 11 months since my Sonos One first shipped and at the time of purchase the timeline of that "promise" was even less clear than it currently - I expected it early in the new years to be honest. Instead I've made due with Alexa. I'm not interested in extensive Google Home integration per se, but much prefer Google to Alexa in general - meaning I own no other devices (aside from a smartphone) that has the capability to run either. The Sonos One was my point of entry into assistant use at all. I use, at this point, Google Home for what little home automation I do have, and also (because it's all that is on Sonos One) use Alexa for those same tasks occasionally simply because I could - I set it up as a comparison really. It didn't take long for me to start wishing that much harder for Google Assistant support. Every task I do with the SonosOne and Alexa is far more complicated and her "hit" rate is leaps lower (the logic, not just her voice recognition, etc.). The fact is that when I ordered it I understood a Google integration date was TBD, but few understood that date to be a year out (or close to it) and I while I was fine with using Alexa in the interim I did not expect it to last a year.

All that is to say, it's now been nearly a year of owning a SonosOne; technically, the promised timeline hasn't shifted, but it doesn't make a frustrating year with Alexa any shorter. Perhaps it was my own fault for being a bit naive insofar as the timeline is concerned to begin with. If that can also be interpreted as obtuseness, have at. Regardless, I understand folks getting a bit short at this point.
Is it really that hard to deduce that companies plan these types of releases for the holiday season, or am I simply underestimating the obtuseness of the general public? :?
Badge
To be completely honest the fact that there are no news whatsoever about the progression of the work is really scary.
I bought a Sonos Play 1 with the purpose of integrate it with the One and the Google Home support (you know.. in Switzerland Alexa has not been released yet, therefore the Sonos One is just the same Play 1 with a slightly different design).
Thank God I stopped myself from buying 3 Sonos One based on the "promise" that Google Home support would've come to Sonos.
As for right now, as a new costumer, I can't say I trust Sonos announcement at all.
To the best of my recollection, the promise was "in 2018". We have several months left in that time frame.
I kind of agree with everyone's frustration albeit trying to be very compassionate and patient. We purchased several Sonos speakers before Christmas of 2017 because we were assured that the Google integration would happen in the next few months. Would be a great enhancement when it comes out... Hopefully they will stand behind the promises made and this will happen soon. Love the speakers which is really what it was originally about... now its about an integrated smart Home and opening up ourselves to IP device hacks which Im sure will happen in the future 🙂
Okay. I guess I will wait until after the Holidays and see, I can live with it, it is just frustrating that we are hearing plans for Google Assistant integration for a very long time now (I was purchasing my current speakers because of the integration), yet Sonos is not updating people on what their plan is, but rather tries to compete for Apple users (AirPlay 2), real Apple fans will always purchase a HomePod, no matter what.

Looking at this informally, there seem to be a lot more users interested in airplay 2 support then Google assistance support. And again, I don't think you can conclusively say that Sonos is prioritizing it's customers, even though it may feel that way.

Regarding Sonos announcing it's plans, it's always a catch-22. What would you have done if Sonos stated nothing about Google integration? Sonos would have lost your sale probably, but you might also be upset that you weren't informed so you could be your decision with more knowledge. As far as updates, then you will have people claiming Sonos is not working fast enough, or complaining they missed deadlines that were never meant to be firm in the first place. You will have complaints about how Sonos prioritizes projects (already happening). And you will likely have to throw your integration partner under the bus blaming them for the length of the project.

You just can't win with announcements like this. Maybe companies like Apple can get away with for a while, but even they seem to be feeling the sting of missing deadlines and not meeting customer expectations lately.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I think the Apple integration involved a lot less work. Apple probably had canned code just to throw in for Airplay2 support … then they just had to test it. They didn't have to rely on Apple to do any coding on their end to make it work with their product.

Google Home support - like Alexa - gets real complicated when your talking about coding being done on both sides of the isle. So your on Google's schedule to for when they will give you time to code for your needs.
Okay. I guess I will wait until after the Holidays and see, I can live with it, it is just frustrating that we are hearing plans for Google Assistant integration for a very long time now (I was purchasing my current speakers because of the integration), yet Sonos is not updating people on what their plan is, but rather tries to compete for Apple users (AirPlay 2), real Apple fans will always purchase a HomePod, no matter what.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would expect Google Home integration and Alexa updated integration to all come by late September (with as we know Airplay2 coming in July).

So I would make my guess as by October 9th.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Yeah I guess update available before black Friday ought to be sonos final target.
The timeline was sometime in 2018. They are still very much within keeping their promise.

I can understand why a Google Home user would want it's integration done first, but I think competition has sort of forced Sonos to put some focus on getting airplay 2 out. Relatively speaking, it's also more of a 'low hanging fruit' type of thing.

As far as features go, I would surprised if it doesn't have at least comparable features to the Alexa integration. I'm hoping it also can handle groups and linking a Home product directly to a Sonos zone. That should help push Alexa to follow up with the same features.

As far as waiting till September, obviously it's your call, but I think the Christmas season drives a lot of the timing of new products and features these days. I would hold off on making a switch for another month or two, as it would be really surprising (to me anyway) if the feature isn't in place before the Christmas shopping season gets revved up. At the very least, there will be more of a market to sell you Sonos, and buy replacements on sale during November/December than in September.
Yeah Sonos promised that a long time ago without a timeline doesn't make a very serious impression to me. Google Home Max sounds great though. I will wait until September and if there is no update I will sell my Sonos speakers instead of buying more.