Answered

Does Sonos S2 support SMB V2 V3?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

71 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Just went through this pain. Brought up a new Synology box. Super hard to get Sonos to recognize it. Not only do you need SMB1, you also need NTLMv1. Works fine now.

Moral of the story:
1) Sonos makes you turn on two ancient protocols that servers and security pros hate.

2 Synology can be configured to work.

now - what about that horrible STP protocol we need to use on our switches? Blech.

This was resolved a long time ago. I’m also using SMB2. In synology settings, go to file services, SMB. Enable SMB service. I have checked WS-Discovery, if that matters. In advanced settings, General, Maximum SMB3, Minimum SMB2, Transport encryption mode as client defined, enable server signing as fore, enable opportunisitic locking is checked, enable smb2 lease is checked. Then clear your SMB cache, reboot synology and sonos, and try again.  You should not under any circumstances have SMB1 enabled! MASSIVE security issues with SMB1.

My Sonos (S1) system was unable to find my SMB share until I turned on SMB1 and NTLMv1. Then it worked find. Does this statement “this was resolved long ago” apply to S1 systems? Because with the stock Synology setup I could easily connect to the music library from windows, using the same account that Sonos uses. But the Sonos could not see a share until I turned on SMB1, and then it could see the share, but could not access it until I turned on NTLMv1.

This is of course with a fully updated Sonos system, and fully updated Synology.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

For S2 systems with their larger memories there are a lot more possibilities than there are for S1 gear.

Worst case I’m keeping a master copy of Raspberrian (Raspberry Pi OS) well backed up so I’ll be able to reinstall it on my Pi music servers at need. Don’t need the latest OS for a system well locked down behind a good firewall.

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

Well SONOS have been giving priorities to bugfixes, features etc... which is fine.

But it's all fun and jokes for them until some catastrophe happens about SMBv1 on their systems.

To be honest I have no clue about security and hacks. But a lot of times when problems luke these arise, the company will be throwing all kinda excuses and showing all kinds of reasons why they can't do something. Then something goes horribly wrong and it hits the news. Then within a month there will be a fix for the problem.

And "no". I am not hoping for them to remove all SMB options cuz i also have a private collection on my NAS.

I am just sad that even though many users are having this problem, companies will just show all the bottlenecks about "why it can't be done".

Yet Sonos have proven to be able to achieve a lot of things that other companies are unable to achieve.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

That makes sense, and would seem to agree with reality. tx. It would be nice if Sonos had an accurate document of which protocols are required for both S1 and S2. As it is there’s only “teh internet”. I can assure you “teh internet” has claims that S2 also requires SMB1, but I can easily believe those posts are incorrect.

Badge

Thanks for all the suggestion.

My music library has stayed up for nearly 24 hours, which is unusual

Maybe the issue is with the Synology NAS? I can’t restrict the NAS to just SMB v3 - min SMB2 and max SMB3.

As it is snowing and my Thursday morning outdoor tennis is cancelled, I decided to try Update my Music Library Now and up pops a message that my Music Library is “no longer available”. The Music Library is gone again.

I deleted my music library, added it again and reconnected at the second attempt. Update Music Files then tells me the Music Library is unavailable, so I am back in that loop. At least streaming the music gives some money to the artists, though I can’t stream all the things I want to listen to.

Sonos Windows App is version 15.1.1 and my Synology NAS is DSM 7.1.1-42962 Update 4 - both the latest versions.

Looking in the NAS logs at how many external users have been trying to connect to my NAS, I don’t want to risk SMB1.

Alan

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I have a Synology NAS (DSM7) and set up an account for Sonos Access to the Music folder of that NAS only. Set Sonos as the user name and added a suitably long password. Works a treat.  

BUT

Sometimes when the NAS has gone into Idle it can take 5-10 seconds for Sonos to see the Music folder and throws a few “Can’t find track” errors.  Soon clears though.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Looking in the NAS logs at how many external users have been trying to connect to my NAS, I don’t want to risk SMB1.

Your NAS is exposed to the internet??? That sounds like a terrible idea to me.

Badge +3

I have a Synology NAS (DSM7) and set up an account for Sonos Access to the Music folder of that NAS only. Set Sonos as the user name and added a suitably long password. Works a treat.  

BUT

Sometimes when the NAS has gone into Idle it can take 5-10 seconds for Sonos to see the Music folder and throws a few “Can’t find track” errors.  Soon clears though.

@bockersjv 

Can you elaborate on this please?

I have a Synology NAS (DSM7) too, and my music library has been refusing to play properly. I can see everything listed, but it frequently skips tracks. (Log files show it is trying to connect using SMB1).

Are you saying you have a separate account on your NAS for Sonos only? Why would that make a difference?
Thanks

Badge

Hi bockersjv

I had everything working perfectly before my work admin told me to disable SMB1 (which I am glad they did). Since disabling it, though, I have had nothing but woe with my music library in Sonos.

I can make sure the NAS is not idling by running a sync job with my laptop, and Sonos will still not find the NAS - just tells me it is either switched off or the path has changed. A NAS reboot has made it visible again, and it indexes.

Maybe I just need to schedule a nighttime reboot.

Thanks for the input.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

There may be some glitches with the SMB v3 addition, several topics here on them.

I’m happy to have SMB v1 gone at long last and will happily live with the glitches until Sonos fixes them.

Badge

While a good firewall is certainly useful (I have multiple, stacked ones) sadly with modern “appliances” it affords little/no protection.  My Home Hubs. nest, Sonos devices all “call out” to their manufacturers , thus creating a NAT (iptables established) relationship though the firewall.  If you think about it, the fact that Sonos, Google et al are able to apply updates to their boxes through your firewall, without you granting them an incoming port rather makes the point.

My Sonos took to un-pausing and playing loud rock music (AKA Music)  at random points on it’s own (yes I sent diagnostics to Sonos) which I’m assuming was due to some operations somebody (my hope is Sonos) were doing on the device. Short or running wireshark 24X7 and catching it happening, I could not see a way to spot the cause (from outside the Sonos)

BUT

My Synology’s are slow starting. Sometimes as I start a new listening session SONOS will become impatient and throw an error message. Usually, this results in the first track being aborted.

SMB v1 is required only for S1 installations. Any version of SMB should work with S2. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

BUT

@bockersjv

Can you elaborate on this please?

I have a Synology NAS (DSM7) too, and my music library has been refusing to play properly. I can see everything listed, but it frequently skips tracks. (Log files show it is trying to connect using SMB1).

Are you saying you have a separate account on your NAS for Sonos only? Why would that make a difference?
Thanks

Yes I set up a Sonos “user” with a Password on my NAS with RW access to my Music Folder only.

Set Application for this user as :-

• Audio Station,DSM and SMB only.
  • Hibernation set at 1 hour in Power settings.

Not sure if this will sort your issue but it solved intermittent access issues I had and is good practice anyway.

Good luck

Badge

When does s2 support SMB v3 ?

That makes sense, and would seem to agree with reality. tx. It would be nice if Sonos had an accurate document of which protocols are required for both S1 and S2. As it is there’s only “teh internet”. I can assure you “teh internet” has claims that S2 also requires SMB1, but I can easily believe those posts are incorrect.

There would definitely be claims that SMB1 was required, because a year or more ago SMB1 was required. That’s a fact. But, those claims would be timestamped. If you know of any forum that it still saying that SMB1 is required with no follow-up posts since SMB2 onwards is supported, do let me know I’d be happy to login and update that forum.

S1 still requires SMB v1. There wasn’t enough space in memory on the Sonos devices to update the linux kernel to allow the use of later versions of SMB.

S2 can use up to SMB v3.

Userlevel 1

Thanks for the clarification!

Badge +2

This feels like the last straw for me vs sonos.

They just don’t care about those of us who like to use our own NAS stored music libraries anymore.

Or, there are technical reasons as to why this is hard, and they’re working on figuring out how to make it happen. Just because they’re not really saying anything shouldn’t always mean you need to assume the worst. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I’ve been asking for SMB v2 since the mid 2000s, wish Sonos offered it but the lack is such a minor issue I just can’t get too upset over it. You can solve the security issues for a few bucks using a Raspberry Pi Zero W as a NAS to SMB v1 gateway.

I’m wondering just how much Sonos is motivated to put the newer SMB issues ahead of other stuff that will sell far more Sonos gear. Fixing it when they go to a new kernel in S2 is a no-brainer as it comes with the deal, along with a huge number of other fixes and improvements. The issue is storage and memory, the old Sonos gear just doesn’t have it. After the pain of the S1 S2 split it makes no sense for Sonos not to move towards a newer kernel but that is not fast, easy or cheap.