Answered

Does Sonos S2 support SMB V2 V3?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

71 replies

Zero issues with SMB v3.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I just updated flawlessly to S2 & V12. Are SMB shares with v2 or better v3 supported by now?

Sonos does not support latest versions, however with Synology you can do thisAs a last resort, you can go to DSM > Control Panel > File Services > SMB > Advanced Settings > Others to tick Enable NTLMv1 Authentication. This will lower the security level but allow legacy devices/applications to authenticate via NTLMv1.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Not supporting anything higher than SMBv1 these days is just sad!

..especially when Sonos claim that they have changed to an ’all new’ operating system

Where do they claim it is “all new”? The UX has had a refresh, for sure, but the code that runs on the players hasn’t changed much that I can tell. The switch to S2 means they have a lot more ram/flash for future expansion, but nothing so far has shown signs that much of the new capacity is in use yet.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Nobody knows, except maybe some Sonos software engineers.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi controlav,

Interesting how you again and again try to divert from the initial question 😉: Why Sonos doesn’t keep their base software updated and secure .. (the SMBv1 limitation is an example that apparently affect customers and sets the expectation about the quality of the underlaying system)

The answer to the original question is simple: No. Not at this time. No diversion necessary.

The reason for SMBv1 on the Sonos S1 system has been well documented for years: the players’ Linux kernel is too old to support the newer versions of Samba.

With the move to S2 there is the possibility of updating the Linux kernels on the newer devices, and when/if they do that then newer versions of Samba become available. This whole area has been de-prioritized since the popularity of streaming took off, so who knows whether it will happen.

Thanks for the update!

This type of honest direct answers is much more appreciated than the sugar-coated sales stuff you tried at first.

Then I know that I’ll have to continue to use my bridging VM to get access to my local music

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

I am keeping a eye on the SMB1 discussion as it impacts more than my SONOS system. I have Netgear NEOTV550 and Zappiti media players that also require SMB1. I just purchased the Zappiti as a replacement for the Netgear NeoTV 550’s  and did NOT notice the SMB1 only requirement until it was to late to return to Amazon.

I am using a SYNOLOGY DS1815+ NAS for all my music and videos. I expect that when SYNOLOGY launches the DSM 7.0 update they will drop support for SMB1 due to security and support issues.

I have stopped all purchase of SONOS and Zappiti hardware until I get a clear direction on where they are headed.

I have been a SONOS user since the product came out and the ability share my own music was a primary reason for purchasing the system. I am NOT interested in converting my system to just a “streaming service” player.

I’m using Sonos v14 on a PC, android, and a bunch of older and newer sonos play 1/one devices.

Years ago, since I don’t trust enabling SMBv1 from my Synology NAS, I set up a power efficient laptop to copy my music library to, and left that running 24/7 just to serve sonos music media files.

After updating to v14, I thought I’d try removing my local library from sonos, and renaming the folder just in case it could still ‘see it’, and have added my synology served media without enabling smb v1.

IT’S WORKING!!! So minimum SMB protocol set to v2, maximum SMB protcol SMB3. Transport encryption mode is client defined, and enable server signing is force. Enable opportunistic locking is ticked, and enable smb2 lease is ticked. Enable SMB durable handles is not ticked.

I do also have NFSv2 to v4.1 enabled, but when I disabled NFS as an experiment, then Sonos can still play the music. When I disable SMB, it can’t.

So,  SONOS SUPPORTS SMB v2!!! Hooray!!! (And possibly v3, but I can’t enable only v3 on my Synology)

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

thanks everyone! Been meaning to update to S2, so this may give me the kick that I need. TX again for the great info.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sonos may be able to get the newer options working in S2 systems but I’m pretty sure it just won’t fit into an S1 system.

Maybe drop SMB completely (freeing up some memory) and come up with a way for a NAS to connect like Windows and Mac do now?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Security aware NAS manufacturers removed support for SMBv1 a long time ago, making them unreachable for the part of Sonos customer base that own their music vs just renting it from Spotify or others

Only a problem for NAS users though. Folks using Macs or PCs to share their files don’t have the SMB problem thanks to the new https library server.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Here’s a message from one of the main developpers of Samba (Jeremy Allison):

“Just a quick warning. For now . Eventually we will pull
SMB1 support from Samba as it is too costly to maintain
resource wise. The client support will probably be
maintained a little longer, but I'm really looking
forward to removing it from the server code.

But today is not that day .”

So, Sonos devs, please get this going ASAP please!

Wow - I wish I had known that when I bought my Sonos setup last month. All I can hope is that if this happens, it happens within the Sonos “return and refund” period, because if it does - it’s all going back! All £1600’s worth.

My media server is Linux based (it has to be because it is also the server for my MythTV network) and if Samba ceases to support SMBv1, my audio library is going to stop functioning with Sonos…

All I can hope is that the balance between “it will cost us too much to upgrade our kernel to support SMBv2” and “we will lose too many sales if we don’t upgrade to support SMBV2 or later” will swing in our favour before then.

It seems that Sonos have had since around 2006 to prepare for an upgrade of some sort, so it’s not as if this is a surprise development that they could not have planned for...

So far, there has been a single version of S2, with a few bug updates. It may be worth waiting for a full new version before throwing away your current equipment?

However, if you’re unwilling to wait, I’d be happy to purchase them for $2.00 each, plus shipping. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Just went through this pain. Brought up a new Synology box. Super hard to get Sonos to recognize it. Not only do you need SMB1, you also need NTLMv1. Works fine now.

Moral of the story:
1) Sonos makes you turn on two ancient protocols that servers and security pros hate.

2 Synology can be configured to work.

now - what about that horrible STP protocol we need to use on our switches? Blech.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

Given you have a Linux based sever you can probably do better than SMB . Sadly no NFS v3 support. Looking at my media library it looks like an http: type address. In anycase there are DLNA servers  (if I understood more about UPnP I’d suggest that) The setup of the Sonos Media library is very clunky .

Interesting you should say that - MythTV can apparently be set up as a DLNA server but… I couldn’t figure out how to do it!

Samba was a real pain to get working, and I have an uncomfortable feeling that it’s a major hole in my network’s security.

Perhaps I should look at Rygel, which is a DLNA server that is available from the Ubuntu/Mint repositories. I wonder if it could be any less awkward to configure than Samba?

And yes - the complete lack of NFS support by Sonos is annoying, because that is almost trivial to set up under Linux.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

While a good firewall is certainly useful (I have multiple, stacked ones) sadly with modern “appliances” it affords little/no protection.

I wasn’t talking about Sonos or other devices calling out but a local SMBv1 server that has no reason to call out and can easily be prevented from doing so should it for some reason attempt it. The Pi, the Linux OS and the SMB server are easily restricted to the local LAN.

Dealing with IOT stuff that calls out is an interesting problem but with a bit of networking research you can block a good bit of it, or redirect it to a local service if that makes sense. It is easy to block a lot of the Sonos Internet chatter and you see no loss of functionality for most of it and little loss for a bit more. The core stuff of course can’t be blocked if the system is to remain functional.

The Sonos being activated by something is usually best dealt with by sending Sonos a diagnostic and asking them to look at it. They can usually find the issue quickly. If you want to look at it locally it should be as simple as adding a rule to your firewall and logging packets that trigger it.

Just went through this pain. Brought up a new Synology box. Super hard to get Sonos to recognize it. Not only do you need SMB1, you also need NTLMv1. Works fine now.

Moral of the story:
1) Sonos makes you turn on two ancient protocols that servers and security pros hate.

2 Synology can be configured to work.

now - what about that horrible STP protocol we need to use on our switches? Blech.

This was resolved a long time ago. I’m also using SMB2. In synology settings, go to file services, SMB. Enable SMB service. I have checked WS-Discovery, if that matters. In advanced settings, General, Maximum SMB3, Minimum SMB2, Transport encryption mode as client defined, enable server signing as fore, enable opportunisitic locking is checked, enable smb2 lease is checked. Then clear your SMB cache, reboot synology and sonos, and try again.  You should not under any circumstances have SMB1 enabled! MASSIVE security issues with SMB1.

Not only do you need SMB1

Refer: 

Curious as to why you’re pointing to this same thread?

I’ve been tearing my hair out for months trying to get my Sonos system (S2) to connect to my NAS reliably, but I think I might have just sorted it…

• My issue at first was the library index failing part way through so I could only see part of my library.
  • Updated the NAS firmware and couldn’t connect at all as SMB1 was disabled.  Enabled it and was back to the partial library issue.
  • Months later… checked and the issue is still there.  But I noticed that despite (I thought) needing SMB1, Sonos was connecting via SMB3.  Configured the NAS to allow ONLY SMB1, then updated index.  All tracks seem to be in the Sonos library.
  • Back to NAS and reconfigured it to allow SMB2 and SMB3 but not SMB1.  Now listening to NAS music on Sonos via a SMB3 connection, without the SMB1 vulnerability…  Woo!!

So… Sonos S2 supports SMB3 but the library connection/update is flaky.  My workaround is to force a SMB1 connection for the update, then revert to SMB3 for normal use.  I don’t update my library too often so I can probably live with that until Sonos manages to fix the flaky updating.

@apbliv if you’re updating your library every day or week the above will be a pain, but I recommend giving it a go.

Badge

I am on S2 and have been having issues with my Synology NAS Music Library going missing. I have just finished a support call with Sonos and was informed my problem is using smbv2 on my NAS - apparently Sonos only officially support smbv1. Thus, I have to decide between security or music - my music library has a lot of music not available on Spotify or Amazon, so it is not a straightforward choice.

When I mentioned that I had seen an announcement that Sonos now supports smbv2, which was why I changed my NAS settings, the agent expressed surprise. He indicated that Sonos were still working on it. I guess the “announcement” I had in mind must have been a thread on here. However, I just looked at the FAQ referred to above, and that is Sonos indicating support for smbv2.

Does anyone else have a Synology-NAS-based music library keep disappearing using smbv2?

Badge

Thanks. I will give it a go, but I don’t hold out much hope. Sonos loses my library almost daily - if not hourly. Once it loses the library I have to restart from scratch by deleting the NAS connection in the sonos app.  Trying to reconnect is a pain as the app will then not find my NAS drive until I have had multiple goes both browsing for the NAS or just typing in the path.
There is something seriously wrong with the sonos software implementation of SMB2/3. My NAS works seamlessly on everything else I ask it to do. 

I’ve been running Sonos for 10+ years, and yes it’s surprising that they only support smb1. 

I read on another thread that if you have Plex running, you don’t need to use SMB at all.  I just shut off smb1 on my Synology and boom.  Now I just browse via Plex in Sonos and forget about “music library” direct access. 

problem solved - Plex ftw

Badge

That makes sense, and would seem to agree with reality. tx. It would be nice if Sonos had an accurate document of which protocols are required for both S1 and S2. As it is there’s only “teh internet”. I can assure you “teh internet” has claims that S2 also requires SMB1, but I can easily believe those posts are incorrect.

There would definitely be claims that SMB1 was required, because a year or more ago SMB1 was required. That’s a fact. But, those claims would be timestamped. If you know of any forum that it still saying that SMB1 is required with no follow-up posts since SMB2 onwards is supported, do let me know I’d be happy to login and update that forum.

A Sonos support agent just told me on the phone that SMBv1 is required, and that SMBv2 is not officially supported.

Badge

I recently switched from using Rygel to minidlna ( https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MiniDLNA  [can’t vouch for the guide, I use Debian]) it seems a bit quicker. Mind you I use it for video rather than audio …. the Sonos I drive from a NAS (Qnap) so it has all sorts of protocols under the covers … without digging around and tracing it’d be hard to spot which one I’m actually using . (I know, when I first got the SONOS it was SMB , which pained me a little)

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

They are working on a later smb version.  It’s safe to assume it will be for S2 only though.