Display song lyrics in sonos app

• 9 October 2012
  • 32 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

+1+1 ... this is obviously something to have in a mass market product !!
I'm confident SONOS will do it . I'm sure there is something tricky to implement a lyrics reader in a stable and easy way.
+1
I believe as well that a challenge is that if Sonos implements lyrics listing in the app, then there will be complaints to Sonos such as "the lyrics does not match my song perfectly".
I believe one realistic way to implement it would be if the artist, album and song had an additional function with "more info", which would simply open a web search for the artist, album or song. A song could then have the option for either searching for info or lyric.
That method would have very limited impact on the Sonos software as it is simply a call to open a browser with a given search string.
To my understanding Bluesound has some of that functionality, at least for artist info.
Cocky of them! Thank you.
I'd say it's intelligent, although frustrating to us consumers, but you're most welcome.

On the other hand, it's an entirely additional level of communication that would have to be added. Right now, all of the "smarts" of Sonos is in the speaker, and the controller is merely a "remote control" device. They've already got the feature to push the song name to the controller, but they'd have to open up additional data paths to push the lyrics across. And probably have to pay someone to have access to them, etc. It's not a 10 minute fix issue, I'd suspect. A few things to think about and implement, and then deal with the complaints (" Why did you show my kids those explicit lyrics?" or "Why are you only showing lyrics on streamer company X and not on streaming company Y?")

Unfortunately, much of what is done by Sonos is complicated by the fact that they're just an aggregator. So they end up depending on the third party vendors to supply all of the data through the Sonos API, not only to the speaker for music reproduction, but then on to the controller, assuming it's connected.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have never understood for what the info screen for a mp3 file or a radio station is good for as nearly nothing is shown there. Please add mp3 ID3 tag data there. As the sonos software already should have this information (because it is used for the indexing) this should not be such a big issue?
I resently changed from logitech squeezebox to sonos. i am realy missing this feature which is so easy to install on squeezebox: http://penguinlovesmusic.de/ipeng-the-iphone-skin-for-squeezecenter/how-to-use-the-ipeng-application/known-issues/lyrics-in-ipeng/?lang=de
and you see the lyrics from: http://www.songlyrics.com/
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
This is one of the occasions, for which I still turn back to iTunes on the desktop as Sonos still does not support lyrics display. All songs in a local library are supposed to be tagged correctly, which already includes lyrics!