Display song lyrics in sonos app

• 9 October 2012
  • 32 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
There is more than enough room on iPad app to display song lyrics - why can't I see all the ID3 tags in Sonos?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

32 replies

I'd say it's intelligent, although frustrating to us consumers, but you're most welcome.

On the other hand, it's an entirely additional level of communication that would have to be added. Right now, all of the "smarts" of Sonos is in the speaker, and the controller is merely a "remote control" device. They've already got the feature to push the song name to the controller, but they'd have to open up additional data paths to push the lyrics across. And probably have to pay someone to have access to them, etc. It's not a 10 minute fix issue, I'd suspect. A few things to think about and implement, and then deal with the complaints (" Why did you show my kids those explicit lyrics?" or "Why are you only showing lyrics on streamer company X and not on streaming company Y?")

Unfortunately, much of what is done by Sonos is complicated by the fact that they're just an aggregator. So they end up depending on the third party vendors to supply all of the data through the Sonos API, not only to the speaker for music reproduction, but then on to the controller, assuming it's connected.
Cocky of them! Thank you.
Infrequently, and only to remind us that they don't share the roadmap in most circumstances. So we've no idea if they're not working on it, all the way to "it will be released tomorrow". I suspect it's not the highest issue on the backlog, though.
We are brand-new to the Sonos experience. We purchased hey set of player one speakers and then quickly purchased several more for each of the rooms in our home. We are now experimenting with different streaming services. We are semi retired and listen to music/podcasts most hours of the day.
We're very surprised there is a link to lyrics as someone above has articulated.
We see this thread goes back quite time. Does Sonos personnel ever respond to these comments?
Userlevel 2
Some points in terms of difficulty:

1. Pandora ALREADY supports this! So, for Pandora integration with sonos, ALL they have to do is forward the info that is ALREADY there to their app.

2. In terms of sync, i am SURE a ton of the people on here would be happy if they could AT LEAST supply the lyrics, without even attempting to sync it up with the song.

3. Yes, in terms of supporting it for ALL the Sonos sources, that may be a bit more difficult, depending on the source in question. HOWEVER, again, they don't have to do everything at once. Supply the lyrics for the sources that they can implement easily, like pandora, initially. INSTEAD THEY ARE SIMPLY IGNORING THEIR USER BASE FOR YEARS WITHOUT ANY PROGRESS WHATSOEVER!!!

COME ON SONOS, GET OFF YOUR AZZZ!
Good points, that makes very good sense.

Considering the recent Spotify integration, it would propobaly make more sense to have additional music services utilise the Sonos speakers like the spotify app does, rather than having Sonos including too many rarely used features in the app.

Personally I think Roon seems as a promising system, since it also integrates ones personal music library, and appears to support a lot of nifty features.

it will be interesting too see what the future holds in store for Sonos integration in more systems.
If I were Sonos, and wanted to actually implement this, I'd include it into the API that they provide their music vendors, and let those people have the responsibility of feeding the data in or not. That would absolve them of any issues with the "the lyrics don't match" kind of thing.

It might be a challenge for them to implement it on their own, as they'd need to be intrusive in getting the song name from each streaming vendor, and then connecting to a database to get the lyric information, and then sending it from the speaker where the stream is being played back to your controller, thus taking up additional bandwidth.

But in the list of things that they need to implement, it's probably fairly low.
+1
I believe as well that a challenge is that if Sonos implements lyrics listing in the app, then there will be complaints to Sonos such as "the lyrics does not match my song perfectly".
I believe one realistic way to implement it would be if the artist, album and song had an additional function with "more info", which would simply open a web search for the artist, album or song. A song could then have the option for either searching for info or lyric.
That method would have very limited impact on the Sonos software as it is simply a call to open a browser with a given search string.
To my understanding Bluesound has some of that functionality, at least for artist info.
+1+1 ... this is obviously something to have in a mass market product !!
I'm confident SONOS will do it . I'm sure there is something tricky to implement a lyrics reader in a stable and easy way.
Dear Sonos,
Any improvement on this request to add Lyrics in Sonos controller? Or add musixmarch app capability into Sonos controller?

It would be very much appreciated

Please reply to this

Thank you

Regards

Luca
Of course Sonos could implement this! They just don't want to. Maybe they just want to keep on making money on good hardware and keep ignoring the software? We'll see if they can get away with this in the long term. As for now, we'll have to do without the lyrics. 😳
+1
The ability to read lyrics form the file tag would be fantastic, and lift the app to a new level.
Please Sonos realize lyrics!
I really love my Sonos hardware but that software is horrible. I am forced to use Google Music and "send" it to Sonos so I don't have to use that app. I use Musixmatch to get lyrics when listening through the Google Music app. Too bad Sonos can't figure out that kind of integration. Please get with it and add it.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Wow - it's been over 3 years since I posted this idea. You would think that would be more than enough time to come up with a response. I could go through a larger critique of what's wrong with the new interface that I'm sure Sonos spent a lot of time on.  Why not just expose the ID3 tags??? 
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Welcome to the club of Sonos hardware lovers. Unfortunately Sonos has demonstrated that they don't listen much to their customers. You probably will not see the software be set free for great developers to make a super interface but likely more of the dreary same same.
Having said that, we all hope we are wrong and maybe one day we will be.... keep them crossed!
Userlevel 2
As a new owner of Sonos products there are a few things which disappoint me. Lack if Airplay support, lack of lyrics, and a dated and "platform independent" interface.

I'd literally be willing to spend thousands more to fill my home with Sonos devices if even 2 of these issues were addressed. There are more, but these stand out.

I hope Sonos don't end up stagnating because I've already put a lot of money into their hardware.
neeeeeeeed this please!
Can't understand why sonos is not entering the discussion with an answer on thus. Disrespect of their user base.
Userlevel 3
Badge
Sonos just did a massive re-design of their entire interface and left out lyrics again with no good reason. Overall I dislike the new interface other than easier access to "favorites." Leaves me wondering if they should hire some ex-Apple UI guru to shake things up as more and more people are simply opting to use bluetooth speakers tethered to their smartphones.
Please Sonos create a lyrics plugin!!
This is the reason why I (and probably many others) still haven't bought the Sonos sound system!
Nowadays people want to see the lyrics of there songs..
This is a must for every music lover.
Userlevel 1
This is a great idea! Would love to see this implemented. I am perfectly willing to wait as long as it takes to implement something like this. Sonos is ahead of the game in many ways, so they get a pass for missing lyrics for the time being, however long this might take.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
This is one of the occasions, for which I still turn back to iTunes on the desktop as Sonos still does not support lyrics display. All songs in a local library are supposed to be tagged correctly, which already includes lyrics!
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hellooo Sonos guys - It's time to say something on this topic, please !! It has been a year since you last responded (that you would make it an "idea") but we are still waiting.... Please state when we can expect this feature or be honest with us and tell us to forget it and use Pandora or musiXmatch -Thomas
Userlevel 1
Please please add this. It's 2014 already! I and 20 million others have big old tablets and we want to read lyrics when we're listening to music. Sure we can do it online, but it would be easier via Sonos, and it can't be hard. For that matter, any enhancements to jacket art and wikipedia-level info should be brought in to the Sonos interface. With tablets, you could recreate the pleasure of leafing through a CD booklet or looking at a record cover - which is the missing piece of digital music enjoyment right now.